GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R on track - after 20 lap days

sephmk7r

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker here, so I thought I'd finally share a bit of my experience of the golf R on track. I hope it can inspire some people, as many other posts did for me.

A little bit of background: I previously drove on track an S4, Miata (nb), and a 911 4S. The 911 was my dream car, but it was stretch financially to buy it, and it was too expensive for me to run on the track... Hindsight 20/20 I know, but I can't say you're super-rational when buying a dream car! Plus, a baby was on the way, so I got a 7.5 R DSG as a daily, trackable car - that was in November last year.
Then covid hit, I started working from home like many, and going to the track was the only reason to take the car out. I'm fortunate enough to live 20 minutes away from a race track, so I figured that this summer would be spent on the track.

I bought the car new and proceeded to almost immediately void the warranty :rolleyes: by flashing it ... Not that I recommend doing that, but I have zero regrets. The tune by Stratified is absolutely amazing. I worked with Alex, and he knew my objective of tuning for the track, so he smoothed out power delivery and throttle mapping, to make everything more linear. I also went with the timing based ESC. I can't recommend it enough.

To go with the tune, I added:
- CTS downpipe (catted)
- High flow K&N filter in stock box
- Removed the snow guard
- CTS turbo inlet.

I also got the COBB DSG tune, I'm waiting for Stratified to come up with their own version. If anyone has any doubt about the DSG tune, it's an absolute must-have. I couldn't stand the sluggish behavior of the box in OEM form, super unwilling to downshift to maximize fuel efficiency.

The tuning process took about 3 months, with a revision every 2 weeks or so. I was already close to the final tune before hitting the track. According to Alex, the tuner at Stratified, the car is basically maxed out on its current setup. We're at the maximum capacity of the fuel injectors. I did ask him to keep a bit of a buffer since I have to contend with -20 degrees weather in the winter. I don't know the final power figures, I don't really care...but I suspect it's about 300+ at the wheels for sure.

The track I go to is 2.13 miles with 16 turns. It's not a very fast track - it's quite tight and super intense on the brakes. So here it goes:

Drivetrain on track
The car worked flawlessly, pounded on hot tarmac in the summer in 100+ degree weather. Zero problems with the transmission, oil, engine. It took all the abuse in the world, without breaking a sweat. For a car tuned with everything else in stock form, I'm absolutely impressed. I wouldn't say I liked the tuning of the DSG in automatic. It was too eager to upshift, even in sport mode. I never bothered to flash it in the "aggressive" setting from Cobb as I like to shift myself anyway. In manual mode, the DSG responds fantastically to downshifts and upshifts, giving you the requested gear whenever you want it, even after 20 minutes of pounding. I never drove PDK, but I imagine it must be similar in manual mode. Power is perfect and pulls hard until about 500RPM before redline. Stratified raised the rev limiter by 200, so at 6800 is where the turbo is losing breath. I figure it's ok, I learned to "short shift" a bit, but it's really not annoying like it in stock. From 3000 RPM to 6800, it feels like a naturally aspirated engine; it's really amazing. Overall, 10/10 for the drivetrain.

Chassis
Let's start with the obvious: It's set up to understeer from the factory. The first mod after the first day at the track was:

- an H&R 25mm rear swaybar.

OMG, that was life-changing. I never felt a car behave so differently with just a change of swaybar!!! If you only have 300$ to put in your R, do the rear swaybar. It's BY FAR the best bang for your buck.
Suddenly the car felt connected front and rear. It didn't feel like the rear wanted to plow on its own anymore. The car became balanced, and it almost completely neutralized the understeer. The car felt almost perfectly balanced.
I have no idea why VW doesn't put a 25mm rear swaybar on the R, especially with AWD and ESC...it's still hard to lift off oversteer. You're not going to lose it unless you really provoke it. it baffles me.

The next mod was:

- 034 camber plate upfront.

I ended up with -2.2 camber at the front and 0 toe front and rear. It helped turn-in and further mitigated understeer. But the biggest difference was how much it helped the tires. More on that later I didn't touch the rest of the suspension. I love the setup, it's compliant but firm, the 3 modes are actually useful, and i don't feel it's a limiting factor at the point.

Brakes
Ok so this is obvious, but it needs to be addressed: The OEM fluid can't last a 20 min session without fading, and the OEM pads either. it can take maybe 1.5 lap balls out before fade becomes an issue and you need a cooldown lap. It's the biggest limiting factor.

For fluid I went with:
- Motul 660 - Amazing fluid, totally worth the money. Pedal fade disappeared

Pads:
- ECB Yellowstuff. They are a significant upgrade over OEM and can take a lot of abuse, but you will need to cool them down during the session. you can't attack for 20 minutes straight. Zero squealing on our out the track was a great plus.

The cooling is not adequate.
- RS3 Air Ducts.

This one was easy. Go to your Audi Dealer and order them. It's expensive for a piece of plastic held up by tie wraps... but it works.

Once I went through the Yellowstuff, I bought:
- ECB Bluestuff

Those are the pads you want, short of track-only pads. They are great, last, a long time, resist fade very well, and are relatively cheap. They don't squeal either and cold grip is absolutely fine - almost OEM like - on the street. Can't recommend them enough for dual duty cars.

I have no problem with the caliper design and single-piston. Pads were worn out evenly. I might want to do a monoblock from the TTS later, but with Motul 660, the RS3 air ducts, and ECB Bluestuff, I have no complaints left for the braking system.

EDIT: with OBDEleven, Disable XDS! it doesn't help (in fact it slowed me down) and it boils your brake faster.

Tires
So the OEM Continental are a disaster. They are terrible. It's not a track tire, sure, but they really aren't up to the task.
The grip is OK, but then they overheat easily (camber plate adjustment helped with that) and the sidewall is too soft. I destroyed the tires and when they were done, you could barely the upper half of the "continental" wording was erased off the tire. Ouch.

The second set of tires was Hankook RS4 - 235/45R17. What a tire my friends. They are absolutely amazing. When you factor in the cost on top of it, it's a no brainer, in my opinion. The sidewall is not flexing at all, even at 25 PSI. They heat up quickly and keep their temp quite stable. You can make them greasy if you really go out like a maniac for 20 minutes, but it's hard. THe treadwear is remarkable and there is no issue in the rain (except pouring and standing water.... you will aquaplane a bit_).
I had 2 track days in the rain and they hold up remarkably well. However, when they let go in the wet, they SNAP on you. Let's say I had a couple of cold sweat moments in the rain on the track...but on the highway back home, no issues. The ESC tuned by Stratified is again remarkable, barely making loss of power noticeable.

Conclusion
It was a great summer, all things considered. Being able to track so much was great. The Mk7 R is a fantastic platform. It's not as precise and dancing as a 911 and it's not as light as a Miata. But as an overall package, it's hard to beat. I just slapped on winter tires and will go to drop my kid at daycare with it. Can't beat that.
If you have a limited budget, Brakes, rear swaybar, and camber plate are your must-haves. The power is adequate stock and in manual mode, the DSG works great.
The only downfall I have with it is its weight. It's heavy. Nothing can be done about that really if I want to keep it serviceable for the family as well.

In the future, I'll probably do the subframe inserts and dogbone. I'll eventually do a catback as well so that it sounds what it's supposed to! but performance-wise, the OEM catback is not a limiting factor with stock turbo/injectors anyway. Eventually, I'll want to do hybrid turbo + Port fuel injection + fuel pump...but that's not really a priority right now. I don't need more power as I'm not dragging the car.

So there it is, I hope this post helps someone, if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know below!

Stay safe!

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Was running at Homestead yesterday and saw an R running well with some cars of track pedigree.

Agree that you can get the most out of factory calipers for your average HPDE use if finding the right fluid/pad. Yellow stuff are garbage from my experience with them in the past (was on an RX8).

Catback is so you can hear your exhaust better around town! You still won’t hear it much at the track with a catted DP! Naturally aspirated cars drown out my exhaust!

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thanks for the write up.

Would like to take my R on a track one day. The closest track is 3hrs away. So I would like to make home again afterwards😁.

Agreed on the rear sway bar, went with the same and changed the end links as well. Yes what difference. (y) even better once I got rid of those OE tires to PS4S

I heard you could roast your brakes on a simple track day. Definitely have to upgrade. What about the brake lines? Do you think those need to done as well?

sephmk7r

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I heard you could roast your brakes on a simple track day. Definitely have to upgrade. What about the brake lines? Do you think those need to done as well?

in OEM form, yes, 100%. On my first day with the R, I got black flagged because I was "smoking heavily" from the front right caliper... lol! I had to take it easier for the next couple of sessions. Brake lines: No, I don't think it's necessary. I honestly don't think they matter SS lines. When you see GT3 cars, GT3RS with rubber lines, it's probably good enough. I'd use SS lines for endurance racing but strictly to protect against debris, not for performance.

Yellow stuff are garbage from my experience with them in the past (was on an RX8).

Honestly, they weren't that bad, I found. OEM was garbage, but Yellowstuff was.... not too horrible. Maybe it's because I paired the change with the brake ducts? But again, I see no downside whatsoever going with Bluestuff instead...and they are just better!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
in OEM form, yes, 100%. On my first day with the R, I got black flagged because I was "smoking heavily" from the front right caliper... lol! I had to take it easier for the next couple of sessions. Brake lines: No, I don't think it's necessary. I honestly don't think they matter SS lines. When you see GT3 cars, GT3RS with rubber lines, it's probably good enough. I'd use SS lines for endurance racing but strictly to protect against debris, not for performance.

Honestly, they weren't that bad, I found. OEM was garbage, but Yellowstuff was.... not too horrible. Maybe it's because I paired the change with the brake ducts? But again, I see no downside whatsoever going with Bluestuff instead...and they are just better!
Ironically, I was talking to an R owner on Saturday who had to cut his day short due to brakes. He was on Yellowstuff!

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Excellent write up! My plan was to get my R on the track this year but with COVID hitting and other projects it didn't happen. Winter projects include getting parts installed that I have had for a year now....Superpro Camber plates, LCAs, & RSB. I ordered up the RS3 ducts from E-ACCA around the same time and have to get those on as well.
On brakes I always ran dedicated track pads (Carbotech XP10 fr/XP8 rear)/r-compounds/ATE Super Blue (RIP) fluid on my M Coupe and will probably do the same with the R eventually except will do G-Loc pads most likely instead since the guys that really drove development at Carbotech split off and formed G-Loc back in 2016 I think it was. As long as I'm on street tires plan has been to just do DS2500's with some RBF600.
Will be a bit odd initially for me on an AWD(FWD biased) car as all my track experience are w/ RWD cars

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
VERY nice write up, and some great advice showing that you do not need to spend a ton of money to have a very solid track/DD. The car is just terrific, and people starting out or getting ready to dump big money on their cars before getting a ton of track exerience would do well to give your post a good read. We followed very similar tuning paths, and I can often hang with some pretty quick cars. I recently posted the R chasing a GT4 at Summit Point in the advanced group last week. Video is HERE>> Summit Point Golf R chasing GT4

We have suprisingly similar car pasts. All my cars were DD and track. I was a PCA instructor for 8 years with a '98 C2S with the X51 3.8 package. Amamzingly fun car to drive. Then I took a few years off and bought a Miata. Fun, but not enough room as DD and not quick enough without serious mods for my tastes on track. For me, the R is the perfect DD/track machine. Mine now has lots of track days and over 50K miles and has been pretty bulletproof.

As you said, the rear sway is the biggest bang for buck on handling. Went from terrible understeer, to neutral with the ability to rotate the car when you want. I have APR Stage 1, rear sway, camber plates and APR I.C. Brakes and suspension are stock with Ferodo DS2500 and Motul 660. As you have shown in your post, this car does not need a ton of money to hang with some really quick machines. You said it perfectly "If you have a limited budget, Brakes, rear swaybar, and camber plate are your must-haves. The power is adequate stock and in manual mode, the DSG works great."

Nice job. Thanks.

iso100

Great write-up! I might suggest the racing line rear body brace, a front upper tie bar, and the ECS rear underbody bracing. On my 7.5 R it transformed the chassis rigidity combined with an upgraded RSB. Highly recommended.

sephmk7r

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Will be a bit odd initially for me on an AWD(FWD biased) car as all my track experience are w/ RWD cars

I forgot to mention! with OBDEleven, I switched the Haldex module to aggressive AND I disabled XDS (the torque vectoring system by brake). Coming from RWD cars or AWD with rear bias, the adjustment is really not that bad. You won't power oversteer that's for sure, but you can absolutely rotate with throttle lift or trail brake (with RSB). The Haldex unit is remarkable as it's invisible. You don't feel it shift power front or rear. I'm not a great driver, but I just couldn't make it out - I don't know how they do it but it's really well done. You'll adjust in no time, it's really fun to drive!

To Anyone, Disable XDS. I'm convinced with the RSB and a proper line, it's not needed. It doesn't help on the track and boils your brakes faster. I saw an immediate 1.5sec improvement on my lap times after disabling it (!!!)

I am still unsure on the pads as I have the 8 piston TTRS front brakes, I feel like the yellows should be enough but blues are not out of the question

I'd skip the yellows, especially on those calipers. The blues are just as good in the cold but handle heat better and seem to last longer too.

We have surprisingly similar car pasts. All my cars were DD and track. I was a PCA instructor for 8 years with a '98 C2S with the X51 3.8 package. Amazingly fun car to drive. Then I took a few years off and bought a Miata. Fun, but not enough room as DD and not quick enough without serious mods for my tastes on track. For me, the R is the perfect DD/track machine. Mine now has lots of track days and over 50K miles and has been pretty bulletproof.

We have an incredibly similar path indeed! The Miata I just couldn't fit properly at 6'2. I have a weird body shape apparently with a tall torso and short arms and despite me LOVING that car, it was just not comfortable (and dangerous, wasn't passing the broom test) so I reluctantly sold it. But like you said, it was lacking power for track duty. On the road though, what a riot. I Still miss it.

I might suggest the racing line rear body brace, a front upper tie bar, and the ECS rear underbody bracing. On my 7.5 R it transformed the chassis rigidity combined with an upgraded RSB. Highly recommended.

I considered the Racing Line rear body frames. I'm okay sacrificing a bit of comfort to get a more communicative chassis.

sephmk7r

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I recently posted the R chasing a GT4 at Summit Point in the advanced group last week. Video is HERE>> Summit Point Golf R chasing GT4

Just watched it, very cool! The R really does punch above its weight class for sure. For me, the real competitors in my group were a Mustang GT Perf Pack2 and a Camaro SS 1LE. Those things are absolute beasts. The Camaro was walking away every time, but I could hang with the Mustang. Good drivers both of them.
BTW my 2 cents, worth exactly that, I think your line is too tight on the first corner! :censored::)

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Just watched it, very cool! The R really does punch above its weight class for sure. For me, the real competitors in my group were a Mustang GT Perf Pack2 and a Camaro SS 1LE. Those things are absolute beasts. The Camaro was walking away every time, but I could hang with the Mustang. Good drivers both of them.
BTW my 2 cents, worth exactly that, I think your line is too tight on the first corner! :censored::)

Nice catch on turn one, and everyone's 2 cents are definitely worth listening to. That's what I previously thought, however, I changed that line just that day on recommendation from my nephew who basically lives at this track. Turns out to be a better line for my car. The track comes up to meet you on the outside, and there is no need to track wide. I can get on gas a smidge sooner while giving up almost no time mid-corner. YMMV, but that's now my preferred line there.

Camaro 1LE's with good drivers walk away from me at larger tracks. Those cars just cook and are way too fast in long straights to get close. Friend's 1LE with very few mods is getting around 150 at Summit Straight.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I forgot to mention! with OBDEleven, I switched the Haldex module to aggressive AND I disabled XDS (the torque vectoring system by brake). Coming from RWD cars or AWD with rear bias, the adjustment is really not that bad. You won't power oversteer that's for sure, but you can absolutely rotate with throttle lift or trail brake (with RSB). The Haldex unit is remarkable as it's invisible. You don't feel it shift power front or rear. I'm not a great driver, but I just couldn't make it out - I don't know how they do it but it's really well done. You'll adjust in no time, it's really fun to drive!
To Anyone, Disable XDS. I'm convinced with the RSB and a proper line, it's not needed. It doesn't help on the track and boils your brakes faster. I saw an immediate 1.5sec improvement on my lap times after disabling it (!!!)

Oh definitely. I disabled XDS almost immediately when I got the car. Also Increased traction (Haldex) (which I assume is what you mean by Haldex module to "Aggressive").
Also, on brakes turned off hydraulic brake assist, straight brake stabilization, and brake lining drying function. I definitely don't like all the nannies in these newer cars!

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I've also recommend Alex's tunes at Stratified more than once on this Forum. Had my Focus ST tuned by them on a few different occasions. Was by far the smoothest and most drivable tune I've even felt on a car. The difference from stock was insane.

Like you said, there are so many different options with their tunes, it really makes the experience. Aggressive vs linear throttle mappings, pops & bangs, on the fly map switching, spark based traction control, valet mode, E30, WMI. They do it all and for a really good price.

Just gotta pick up a Cobb AP, that's the most expensive part, but it's the best tuning device on the market. Well worth the investment. I honestly didn't realize that the rear sway bar made such a big difference. That's my next purchase.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I like this thread. It helps me feel less nervous making the decision to stick it out with the MK7.5 and dropping a Wavetrac in favor of the electronic diffs the MK8 is getting and what we are stuck with already. XDS seems ok for the average driver (see what the Golf R seems to be), but it has it's limits. I always had a weird feeling especially with the XDS+ that it is good, but it's not the greatest.

The RSB was also something that just made me grin ear to ear after installing it. Surprised how great the mod was, and once I got a proper alignment with end links installed I was hoping to get out to the track, but COVID just made me stay away all summer - to see what's next.

The JB1 for a COBB /w tune is up there though - it seems to be the best way to go