GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18x8.5 ET42 on 245/40R18 or better 235/40R18 ??

1970something

Ready to race!
Thought I’d revive this thread. I am planning on getting the following setup but want to make sure (as best I can) that there won’t be rubbing:

APR A01 wheels 18x8.5 ET45
Michelin PS4S 245-40/18

Car is ‘17 sport (non-dcc) on stock suspension and I have no plans to lower it.

Sounds like XM_rocks and bl33d_blue haven’t had problems with this; can anyone else with this or similar setup comment on whether they experience rub?

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Thought I’d revive this thread. I am planning on getting the following setup but want to make sure (as best I can) that there won’t be rubbing:

APR A01 wheels 18x8.5 ET45
Michelin PS4S 245-40/18

Car is ‘17 sport (non-dcc) on stock suspension and I have no plans to lower it.

Sounds like XM_rocks and bl33d_blue haven’t had problems with this; can anyone else with this or similar setup comment on whether they experience rub?

You'll be fine.

If you rub in the front do the fender screw mod and that will take care of it.

rcb020

Passed Driver's Ed
Here’s my 2017 sport on Neuspeed rse10 18x8.5 et45 with Michelin PS4S 245 40 18. I did the fender screw mod and on stock suspension has never rubbed at all.
EE8E795A-5EB0-408D-82C5-648737BA1C43.jpeg
E3B94924-6130-4DFD-9DD6-BDBA52C70F98.jpeg

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same exact setup as above poster, 2019 sport w/ stock suspension. The only issue I had was rubbing on the back right tire on the fuel line shielding. I had to bend part of the shield and then zip tied some of the fender fiber lining stuff closer to the chassis. I didn't expect having to do any of this, but it was a super easy fix and I've had no issues since then.

EDIT: I did not do the fender screw mod, didn't find I needed to.

Robsvictims

Car(s)
GTI
I am planning on running 18x8.5 with 245/40/18. I have a 2019 with PP Brakes. I am guessing I need to get some spacers to fit?

1970something

Ready to race!
Depending on offset, 18x8.5 with 245 width tires will be pretty far outboard compared to the stock wheels and tires. Might even poke out from the fender. Adding a spacer will make that even worse. Unless that’s the look you are going for, I wouldn’t recommend spacers on this configuration.

Robsvictims

Car(s)
GTI
Depending on offset, 18x8.5 with 245 width tires will be pretty far outboard compared to the stock wheels and tires. Might even poke out from the fender. Adding a spacer will make that even worse. Unless that’s the look you are going for, I wouldn’t recommend spacers on this configuration.
Noted! I just never thought of any issues because I ran this set up on my 2016 but it had non PP brakes. It was 4 years ago when I looked into this the first time. Now I have seen a person or two mention the 18x8.5 with 45ET offset not fitting over the PP brakes. I know nothing about wheel fitment, but wanted to double check before they arrive and need another piece to fit.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Noted! I just never thought of any issues because I ran this set up on my 2016 but it had non PP brakes. It was 4 years ago when I looked into this the first time. Now I have seen a person or two mention the 18x8.5 with 45ET offset not fitting over the PP brakes. I know nothing about wheel fitment, but wanted to double check before they arrive and need another piece to fit.
What?? The only thing restricting a 18x8.5 et45 to not fit over Golf R/PP brakes would be spoke design, there are even a good amount of 17" wheels that fit over Golf R/PP brakes.
Go here https://www.willtheyfit.com

Pic is my car with 18x8.5 et45 wheels with 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

Attachments

• 58F136DB-EA82-41E5-B865-0B5902A519A8_1_201_a.jpeg
    58F136DB-EA82-41E5-B865-0B5902A519A8_1_201_a.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,183

Robsvictims

Car(s)
GTI
What?? The only thing restricting a 18x8.5 et45 to not fit over Golf R/PP brakes would be spoke design, there are even a good amount of 17" wheels that fit over Golf R/PP brakes.
Go here https://www.willtheyfit.com

Pic is my car with 18x8.5 et45 wheels with 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s
I didn’t understand how it wouldn’t fit either unless there was something on the backside of the wheel protruding that I couldn’t see. I do see numerous people run 17 inch wheels so I know what you mean. However, I have the APR AO1 in 18x8.5 and the comment I saw may have been specific to that wheel. So I’ll see when they get here or if someone knows something that I don’t about this specific wheel maybe they’ll chime.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
17x9 with 245/45R17 tires, same height as 245/40R18. Lowered on VWR springs with -2.1 camber up front and -1.75 rear.

No rub in the front, but slight rub in the right rear due to the fuel filler cover and felt liner, which is probably sticking out more than it should from my spring installation.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I didn’t understand how it wouldn’t fit either unless there was something on the backside of the wheel protruding that I couldn’t see. I do see numerous people run 17 inch wheels so I know what you mean. However, I have the APR AO1 in 18x8.5 and the comment I saw may have been specific to that wheel. So I’ll see when they get here or if someone knows something that I don’t about this specific wheel maybe they’ll chime.
Weird, it fits, I was going to buy the APR A01 18x8.5 wheel myself.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I believe OP had to add 3mm spacers front because of the wheel / spoke design of the Alzor? brand wheels he went with.

Most often 18x8.5 +45 (example) fits fine. One of the more common configs (17mm more poke vs stock).