GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBD11 and Adaptive Cruise Control

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
i didnt even know adaptive cruise control was a thing, how hard is it to tap the brakes to interrupt cruise control when theres a slow down, and the press resume to get back to speed, i dunno, when im driving im pretty attentive to everything, dont even touch my phone

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's not hard at all... it's just easier to not tap the brakes and hit resume. In LA, assuming it's not stop and go traffic, highway speeds fluctuate from 45 - 70-ish all the time. Adaptive cruise on a DSG could be really nice... I'll never know how nice though, my car is a manual, haha.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
It's not hard at all... it's just easier to not tap the brakes and hit resume. In LA, assuming it's not stop and go traffic, highway speeds fluctuate from 45 - 70-ish all the time. Adaptive cruise on a DSG could be really nice... I'll never know how nice though, my car is a manual, haha.
I have dsg, I can pay atttention to slowing traffic without the need of acc, it literally takes zero effort, maybe if I was missing a right arm and leg it'd be useful

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you're using ACC you still pay attention to traffic, you just don't have to do anything else. I'm not making argument about effort... I think we all agree that tapping the brake and pressing resume takes no "effort" but it does action. And with ACC no action is required. I don't know or care how attentive you may be as a driver, or what limbs you would need to not have to make ACC useful for you. I'm not even sure what your argument is... that people should not use the adaptive cruise control they paid for because you don't think tapping the brakes is hard? Okay! 🤷‍♂️

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
People buy vehicles with different features according to their preference. If not, OEMs wouldnt invest tons of effort to develop and manufacture different trims of a same vehicle or give customers the option of customizing their vehicle. Its a lot easier for them to follow Henry Ford's quote "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black."

i didnt even know automatic was a thing, how hard is it to manually change gears when theres a change in speed, i dunno, when im driving im pretty attentive to everything, dont even touch my phone

Updated.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
ACC can't be enabled without the actual hardware necessary. The circles on the bumper are the parking sensors. The ACC sensor is behind the front VW badge. The Camera is also required for some of these systems. Rear cross traffic alert works off the blind spot monitoring system (mirrors).

Last edited:

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
People buy vehicles with different features according to their preference. If not, OEMs wouldnt invest tons of effort to develop and manufacture different trims of a same vehicle or give customers the option of customizing their vehicle. Its a lot easier for them to follow Henry Ford's quote "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black."

Updated.
Pretty rude to put words in others mouth,

tigeo

Autocross Champion
i didnt even know adaptive cruise control was a thing, how hard is it to tap the brakes to interrupt cruise control when theres a slow down, and the press resume to get back to speed, i dunno, when im driving im pretty attentive to everything, dont even touch my phone
My GSW has old-school cruise and my Atlas has ACC. ACC is amazing however if you aren't used to it, you will get behind folks going slower than you and not notice it b/c it's keeping pace/distance. I have mine set with OBDEleven to start accelerating when I hit the turn signal to pass, v. slick system. It's not hard to use regular cruise, but it's also great to have ACC.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
If you're using ACC you still pay attention to traffic, you just don't have to do anything else. I'm not making argument about effort... I think we all agree that tapping the brake and pressing resume takes no "effort" but it does action. And with ACC no action is required. I don't know or care how attentive you may be as a driver, or what limbs you would need to not have to make ACC useful for you. I'm not even sure what your argument is... that people should not use the adaptive cruise control they paid for because you don't think tapping the brakes is hard? Okay! 🤷‍♂️
I wasn't arguing, I was conversing,

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have dsg, I can pay atttention to slowing traffic without the need of acc, it literally takes zero effort, maybe if I was missing a right arm and leg it'd be useful
It's not a particularly challenging task to turn a steering wheel in a car without power steering either but hey, we all like our power steering....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Reaalleeee
I guess I'm old school and only use cruise on long trips cross country, interrsting
I use cruise constantly - likely just b/c my commute is 100% highway for 45 miles each way and has been for the last 15 years.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Pretty rude to put words in others mouth,

I wasnt trying to be rude but just to give a different POV - its not just about concentration or additional effort to press brake pedal during driving which you brought up in your previous posts.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I love having a manual but one thing that makes me envious of the DSG+electronic handbrake combo is Traffic Jam Assist. Just think about crawling bumper to bumper for miles and not having to touch the pedals at all. 👌 And ACC is necessary for that.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I love having a manual but one thing that makes me envious of the DSG+electronic handbrake combo is Traffic Jam Assist. Just think about crawling bumper to bumper for miles and not having to touch the pedals at all. 👌 And ACC is necessary for that.
Yes, nobody likes sitting in stop/go traffic with a manual no matter how much the manual zealots say they do..hahahaha

Last edited: