GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to use for interior on Mk7.5 Gti..

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Hello everybody,

I just traded up to a Mk7.5 this weekend, and was curious to see what you guys use to detail the interior, primarily the gauges and center stack area? My 2015 gti didn't have this piano black or this nice 8 inch screen:sneaky:.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
I use a detailing brush and a vacuum on the gauges. The plastic is so soft and I’m afraid it’ll scratch if I touch it.
on the interior I also use meguiers interior Cleaner, Aerospace303 and CarPro Pearl.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I use a detailing brush and a vacuum on the gauges. The plastic is so soft and I’m afraid it’ll scratch if I touch it.
on the interior I also use meguiers interior Cleaner, Aerospace303 and CarPro Pearl.
That is exactly why I asked this question. I used a super plush microfiber on the gauges on my Mk7 and still managed to scratch the living hell out of them. I don't want to mess up my new gauges and am looking for alternatives.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I used a super plush microfiber on the gauges on my Mk7 and still managed to scratch the living hell out of them.

I don't know what it is about VW clusters, but this has been going on for ages. Using a quality microfiber cloth can leave them looking like you took sandpaper to them. Meanwhile every BMW I've owned has looked new for years, despite all kinds of abuse. The same group of OEM suppliers make these things, how does VW wind up with such fragile plastic? It's bizarre.

This is one thing about the digital cluster in the 7.5 R - it's just a matte LCD screen, and dusting it off with microfiber has zero effect on it.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I don't know what it is about VW clusters, but this has been going on for ages. Using a quality microfiber cloth can leave them looking like you took sandpaper to them. Meanwhile every BMW I've owned has looked new for years, despite all kinds of abuse. The same group of OEM suppliers make these things, how does VW wind up with such fragile plastic? It's bizarre.

This is one thing about the digital cluster in the 7.5 R - it's just a matte LCD screen, and dusting it off with microfiber has zero effect on it.
Yep, so thats why I'm trying to see if somebody can post the million-dollar secret on how to keep them clean without scratching them all up. I've tried all different kinds of microfiber and brushes and it seems inevitable.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Yep, so thats why I'm trying to see if somebody can post the million-dollar secret on how to keep them clean without scratching them all up. I've tried all different kinds of microfiber and brushes and it seems inevitable.
This is what you need... brush the dust in to the air around the cluster and then suck it up with the shop vac.
Chemical Guys Acc_S90 The Goat Boar's Hair Detail Brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N8RI67Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iHb6Eb2J6S0K8

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Wrap all the piano black in PPF is the only way to keep it safe. The softest microfiber will scratch it.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
There's a really good (and expensive) plastic polish called Plexus that's popular in the motorcycle community as it's great for cleaning face shields. I also found recommendations for it online for cleaning car stuff like VW clusters. Worked great on my face shield, and "ok" on my cluster - but did not make the fine scratches go away. At least it didn't make the situation worse.

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
I keep a swifter in my car to dust the interior (dash), everytime I fill up. That keeps it mostly clean. When I detail it, I dont use anything but a microsoft with a little Invisible Glass cleaner on it. I use very little pressure. Never had any issues with scratching over 1 year now. That's only on the piano black and gauges. The rest of the interior gets a diluted detailer.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I keep a swifter in my car to dust the interior (dash), everytime I fill up. That keeps it mostly clean. When I detail it, I dont use anything but a microsoft with a little Invisible Glass cleaner on it. I use very little pressure. Never had any issues with scratching over 1 year now. That's only on the piano black and gauges. The rest of the interior gets a diluted detailer.
Q
Lol, I think you meant to say microFIBER instead of microSOFT. Anyways, I have tried numerous microfiber towels and still manage to scratch them up. I was looking into the Rag Company to see what they offered. I never thought of a Swiffer type duster, ill give it a try.

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Q
Lol, I think you meant to say microFIBER instead of microSOFT. Anyways, I have tried numerous microfiber towels and still manage to scratch them up. I was looking into the Rag Company to see what they offered. I never thought of a Swiffer type duster, ill give it a try.
Lol, well it was 6 in the morning, and I was confused why it capitalized it.... lmao, now the mystery is solved.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

eajr

Go Kart Champion