GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aluminum vs Plastic Hub Rings?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I'm considering downgrading my daily set up from the stock 18" Milton/Dallas set up to bronze 17" Konig Hexaform or Fast FC04. However I have always hated hub rings because every spring I have to get a chisel and hammer to free the plastic rings from the hub. Even if I put grease or anti-seize on when I install my winters in the fall.

Since these are going to be my summer wheels, they will see little to no salt. With this in mind, do I still need to worry about the hub rings getting stuck on the hubs when I do my seasonal tire changes or when I switch over to my track set throughout the summer? If no, should I get plastic or aluminum rings? I know aluminum is stronger, don't wear out as easily, and costs more.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I avoid hub rings as well, so I don't have comment on what's best. However, the 17" FC04s are the correct center bore. If those are an option, why not avoid the headache and go with those?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
i don't like 17s.
i would go metal with a little anti-seize or copper anti-seize. I've had plastic ones melt at the track.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Get a set of wheels that are hub centric with a 57.1mm center bore and you don't have to bother with centering rings

None in 17" aside from Fast FC04, which I don't really like. Not interested in Neuspeed.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Plastic on the street, especially in areas that have winters. Alum on the track or in dry/warm climates. Use them if your wheels need them, don't trust that the bolts or nuts are going to remove gravity from the equation when you tighten everything down.

I just looked this up recently, the plastic Gorilla uses for hub rings has a melting point of 430 degrees for forming/injection. That's a temp your hub would need to see, not your rotor specifically.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Metal rings need anti-sieze and are more durable for racing. Plastic will work fine otherwise and are my personal preference, especially after trying to remove metal rings in the pitch darkness.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I’ve been running Audi wheels with no hub centric rings for about 40k miles now.

No vibration or issues of any kind.
Not all Audi wheels require rings as some have the same hub size as us.