GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate Ignition Coil Upgrade is Here! (APR Red Ignition Coils!)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
i'd probably get them if it can be confirmed that they could help smooth out the idle a little bit. I hate the lumpy idle these cars have

I wouldn't say these cars have lumpy idle. You may have another problem going on. Maybe check plugs? It could be a bad coilpack also. When everything is working right, I can't say these cars are lumpy at all.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
To Arin..question..

Beru list one ignition coil for all the VAG EA211 engines (1lt, 1.2lt, 1.4lt) code ZSE067

Beru then list code ZSE068 for all the MQB VAG EA888 engines basically all the 1.8lt & 2lt including CS/R...

So there appears to be a VW split again at the 150/180bhp mark as per gearboxes etc...

You state on your UK site that your red coils fit both engines (EA211 & EA888)….how does it if Beru list two types?..or are the Beru the same physically, just the "68" can provide a more powerful spark for the bigger engines.?

PS I understand the need for more powerful ignition systems..higher octane requires it...which is why I'm asking as currently looking for a 98RON stage 1 map..

manapuaman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI DSG
Can I keep my plugs gapped at .028? Or still got to gap them at .024? I would by these instead of trying to gap iridium plugs.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Can I keep my plugs gapped at .028? Or still got to gap them at .024? I would by these instead of trying to gap iridium plugs.

What mods do you have on your car? These are replacement ignition coils, not really a replacement for properly gapping plugs, if gapping is needed.

manapuaman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI DSG
EQT Stage 1 GTI.
Back in the day we ran MSD coils and the stronger spark let us widen the gap on plugs for better combustion. Not as familiar with this newer stuff.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just found out that these "APR" coils are in fact made by MSD....who also make them in black...

MSD, & APR are owned by "Holley"..

https://www.holley.com/brands/

The product should have a good reputation as MSD....just can't get MSD versions where I am...only the APR ones...obviously an internal brand availability structure...

So back to Arin...the MSD site just says for 1.8/2lt...nothing about the 1.4lt etc..so how come you say it will fit mine???...just want clarity...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
EQT Stage 1 GTI.
Back in the day we ran MSD coils and the stronger spark let us widen the gap on plugs for better combustion. Not as familiar with this newer stuff.
That is what I have been being told over on one of the FB groups - should be able to widen the gap a little.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Just found out that these "APR" coils are in fact made by MSD....who also make them in black...

Just to be clear here, that's not correct. MSD does not make our coilpacks.

MSD is one of our sister companies, along with 30 or 40 other brands. We each have our own product lineup.

Navi

Autocross Champion

Send a set to Ed @ EQT for independent testing

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Get ready to be over(under)whelmed! Hold on tight! Haha. Are you going to run them with the engine cover off? I have my cover on so you never see the coilpacks. Our engines are so ugly.

Truth. Brutal. I could at least run my 8P Audi A3 (Gen 2 Ea888??) without the cover and the red tops and it looked ok.

These new gen 3 motors took the ugly up a big notch, the cover is NECESSARY.

@tigeo let me know how these work for you. I know you had some previous issues around plugs with your stage 2 Uni tune, if memory serves me.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just to be clear here, that's not correct. MSD does not make our coilpacks.

MSD is one of our sister companies, along with 30 or 40 other brands. We each have our own product lineup.

Ok...

How about the other question I asked???

ie....why does your website state they are for the EA211 engine (besides 1.8lt & 2lt EA888 MQB) when all other sources I see for OEM coils list different items for the EA211 engine compared to the 1.8lt & 2lt EA888 MK7 Golf engines??

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
EQT Stage 1 GTI.

Why the hesitation to gap the plugs? A gapping tool like this makes it pretty easy:
https://burgertuning.com/products/bms_spark_plug_gapping_tool?variant=16862811488371

You're probably fine running .028 though. I ran my plugs at .028 for quite a while and decided to gap down to .024 cuz of corona boredom. I didn't notice a difference in anything.

manapuaman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI DSG
Why the hesitation to gap the plugs? A gapping tool like this makes it pretty easy:
https://burgertuning.com/products/bms_spark_plug_gapping_tool?variant=16862811488371

You're probably fine running .028 though. I ran my plugs at .028 for quite a while and decided to gap down to .024 cuz of corona boredom. I didn't notice a difference in anything.
That iridium tip is so soft. And the cost of a mistake is more than when I ran copper plugs. Seems everybody doing it no issues I bought those new tools and will give it a try.
Oh and the theory before is a stronger spark on a smaller gap can not ignite as well.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Truth. Brutal. I could at least run my 8P Audi A3 (Gen 2 Ea888??) without the cover and the red tops and it looked ok.

These new gen 3 motors took the ugly up a big notch, the cover is NECESSARY.

@tigeo let me know how these work for you. I know you had some previous issues around plugs with your stage 2 Uni tune, if memory serves me.
Working just fine with new NGK RS7 plugs gapped stock (measured at ~0.26"). My previous issues with overboost/misfires were sorted with a tune revision they put out and new plugs/coils at that time. Been trouble-free since.