GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NJ Motorsports Park

razorbilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2017 X1
hopefully. As of right now, i am still moving on June 20th since the stop movement for DoD ends in May but if this pushes out farther i may be around for a bit more.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
This sounds fun, never been to track, question do they make you take a test before or anything?

Nope, no testing required for the Skip Barber race school days. They just do a quick tech inspection, check your helmet (or you can rent one on site for $20), and you're on your way to the morning driver's meeting and first classroom session. Then you're out on the track following a pace car. It's a great time and the crew is pretty reasonable about moving you up a class if you're following the line properly and being held up by slower or more inexperienced drivers.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Nope, no testing required for the Skip Barber race school days. They just do a quick tech inspection, check your helmet (or you can rent one on site for $20), and you're on your way to the morning driver's meeting and first classroom session. Then you're out on the track following a pace car. It's a great time and the crew is pretty reasonable about moving you up a class if you're following the line properly and being held up by slower or more inexperienced drivers.
good stuff. how many cars do they put out there at once? say there is 30 cars? groups of 4, 5, 10 ?

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
good stuff. how many cars do they put out there at once? say there is 30 cars? groups of 4, 5, 10 ?
Not really sure.. I ran in the advanced class last time it was me, an Alfa 4C, and 4 or 5 domestics (who are regulars). The beginner class normally has many more cars on the track.. I'm estimating maybe 10-15 on the track at once.. maybe even more? I could be off, but when you register on the TrackRabbit site, you can see who else is registered for what class. Either way, you'll never be in a situation where someone is on your ass.. the track is so long and you can pit anytime as needed. Even the advanced class doesn't allow point passing. You'd have to go to an open track day event for that.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Not really sure.. I ran in the advanced class last time it was me, an Alfa 4C, and 4 or 5 domestics (who are regulars). The beginner class normally has many more cars on the track.. I'm estimating maybe 10-15 on the track at once.. maybe even more? I could be off, but when you register on the TrackRabbit site, you can see who else is registered for what class. Either way, you'll never be in a situation where someone is on your ass.. the track is so long and you can pit anytime as needed. Even the advanced class doesn't allow point passing. You'd have to go to an open track day event for that.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about someone passing me, but I would worry someone super in-experienced crashing into me. I'm sure its happened. Not sure if insurance would cover it. When I did my motorcycle class (just to get the license) I was the only one who ever rode a motorcycle and everyone was crashing and stuff. Now I know its totally different and cars are easier, but say your taking a turn and someone behind you takes it too hard, brakes lock up, they crash into you. Are you S.O.L / need to repair yourself ya know?

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about someone passing me, but I would worry someone super in-experienced crashing into me. I'm sure its happened. Not sure if insurance would cover it. When I did my motorcycle class (just to get the license) I was the only one who ever rode a motorcycle and everyone was crashing and stuff. Now I know its totally different and cars are easier, but say your taking a turn and someone behind you takes it too hard, brakes lock up, they crash into you. Are you S.O.L / need to repair yourself ya know?

From what I understand, most insurance companies will cover you (in that very unlikely event) since it's technically a "driving school" and not an open track/race day! Also, I've raced there numerous times and have never seen vehicles hit one another.. you're so spaced apart and drivers are respectful. If anything, cars sometimes go off track due to coming into a turn too hot/brakes fading and the worst thing that happens is you mess up your alignment or bend a wheel (ask how I know 🙄).