GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil over opinions/help

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
have you seen Bilstein last 100k? I would be surprised if they do. But I'm just guessing, not 100% sure.

Yes, I have - on my Scirocco 16V. When I bought it, it had a leaky set on it, and my pal/Bilstein dealer got them swapped out for me under warranty, even though I wasn't the original purchaser. I proceeded to put about 120k on them over the next decade. I'm sure there was *some* wear, but they performed very close to as new.

CarolinaPanther said:
I thought dick-swinging was implied ?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
KW1 are rebuildable I believe, so that would be helpful in that respect.

Bilstein will also rebuild the damper for you.

I've run KW, Weitec (now ST and owned by KW), H&R, and now Bilstein. All of them have gotten me well past 50k miles. As long as you stay away from budget coilovers like Solowerks...you should be ok.

As Jake said...a lot of people run coilovers to get their car to sit exactly the way they want. I remember back in the day with my mk3...I tried multiple spring sets to get my car to sit the way I want...none of them even came close to getting rid of the wheel gap. Some also sat too raked...some were reverse raked. Since then...I just skip the shock and spring setup and go straight to coilovers. Saves me a lot of work and disappointment knowing I can get it exactly the way I want it on the first try.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I disagree - if you're gonna do the "full zoot" suspension by going with expensive coil-overs, why would you cut out that last step that justifies having them in the first place? In your scenario, to me that's an argument to not even do coilovers at all, just go with lowering springs and a quality shock and be done with it.
The vast majority of people that purchase height adjustable coilovers are doing it for primarily aesthetics. Sensation of better handling is secondary.

True, but.. Bilstein B8's will go 100k miles or more without significant wear, and are warranted for life to the original purchaser should they wear out or become leaky.

Mine lasted 150k miles before it started to leak on my old Passat, which back then B8's were called B6-Sports

Square1

Go Kart Champion
What I am sure about is that getting anything warrantied through Bilstein is going to make you want to never buy Bilstein again.

This. They have always been a difficult company to deal with as much as I liked their products when they aren't broken.
I use coilovers because I am never happy with the ride height of springs. It's never right.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Another perspective.

I went with coilovers because I got a great deal (Dinan coilovers) and they ended up being a lot cheaper than what I originally wanted which were B8 shocks and Eibach springs.

The upside of going coilovers was that when I went with 265 tires, had the flexibility to raise the height to prevent rubbing. If I had gone with springs, probably would have had to go with a different set of springs.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
BC's included camber plates are a very nice addition as well. I don't doubt from a valving perspective there's better out there, but for $1k, being able to adjust your front camber and damper settings is a pretty strong value proposition

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
You forgot one - dick-swingers who just want to be able to say they have them. In my experience, that's the #1 reason that people who aren't actually tracking or autocrossing a car buy them. Yeah, there's the adjustability thing, but most people set them once and leave them.

You can basically say that about any mod you make. Does anybody really need 500 horsepower that you can't use on the street? Does anyone really need those fancy light wheels that will never see a track? Is it really going to make a difference on your commute to work? You might as well and go into the VS forum and tell all those guys that are racing each other to stop swinging their dicks.

Nobody has to justify what they do to anybody else. I have what I have its because I can and its what I like.

ajmanmk7

Preferring to go coil over option because I don’t want to get springs and then have to get aftermarket dampeners. I want a one shot deal. Was looking for something that would give me a nice drop. Nothing crazy. But definitely noticeable. Also something that’s not going to be to harsh driving wise. Was considering Bilstein B14. What are some of your guys set sups? Or experiences with coil overs
I was in the same place as you and went with the B14s. Can’t report on them yet ‘cause they’re still laying on my living room floor! They look nice, though...!

Sport17

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'd another reason for why I'm personally more interested in coilovers than shocks and springs - the ability to swap out OEM shocks and springs as one complete unit and pop in the coilovers as one complete unit, at least for the fronts. Makes it a little easier to go back to stock if needed for any reason.

I don't feel like ripping apart my OEM suspension to get bits like bumpstops and dust covers, so I'd be buying those extras with shocks and springs. I was speccing out a Koni Yellow and spring set up. Even with a set of Yellows for $535 from some random store, some Eibach or Neuspeed springs, and the remaining bits such as bearings, strut mounts, etc. I was within $200 or so of coilovers.
The front struts are a single-assembly, no matter whether you're OEM, aftermarket struts/springs, or coilovers. I'm not sure you'd save much hassle if you're trying to make it easier to go back so stock. Not sure it would ever make sense to swap suspensions back to stock, anyway -- unless you have a super high-end ($$$$) coilover setup to resell.

I just put a B12 pro kit together for $800 + strut mounts/bearings + install. That's the Bilstein B8s paired with Eibach euro-spec prokit springs I ordered from amazon.de. I didn't care about adjustability, so it was the right choice for me. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked the car up last week that the ride is tighter, but just as comfortable (if not moreso?!) than stock. A nice drop all around, but the rear rides a touch higher than the front for a nice raked look.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Another perspective.

I went with coilovers because I got a great deal (Dinan coilovers) and they ended up being a lot cheaper than what I originally wanted which were B8 shocks and Eibach springs.

The upside of going coilovers was that when I went with 265 tires, had the flexibility to raise the height to prevent rubbing. If I had gone with springs, probably would have had to go with a different set of springs.

Dinan, as in the BMW tuning company?

I'm interested in going 265 next year for autocross, but sticking with 245 for tracking to keep costs down. How are you liking them and what 265 tire are you using?

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Does anybody know what their spring rates are with the coilover kits they've purchased?

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I'd another reason for why I'm personally more interested in coilovers than shocks and springs - the ability to swap out OEM shocks and springs as one complete unit and pop in the coilovers as one complete unit, at least for the fronts. Makes it a little easier to go back to stock if needed for any reason.

I don't feel like ripping apart my OEM suspension to get bits like bumpstops and dust covers, so I'd be buying those extras with shocks and springs. I was speccing out a Koni Yellow and spring set up. Even with a set of Yellows for $535 from some random store, some Eibach or Neuspeed springs, and the remaining bits such as bearings, strut mounts, etc. I was within $200 or so of coilovers. Plus, with the particular coilovers I'm looking at, I'd be able to adjust damping on the rears without tearing the car apart. And I'd get camber plates. Though in all practicality, for ME, adjustable camber would probably go untouched. But hey, I like options!

That being said, I start to think is it worth the hassle/option of setting the ride height? And then thinking "Oh man, just two more threads would be perfect!" Or continually adjusting the dampers? Or thinking I need just a little more camber? I could see myself driving myself crazy.

So maybe a spring and shock combo with fewer options would be better. Plus, with springs and shocks being so close in price to coilovers, I wonder if I'm paying more for the adjustability and extras like camber plates with coilovers whereas I might be paying for a more quality damper and/or better springs with a shock and spring kit.

I have too much time on my hands lol!

Uh, when you remove the front assembly, you remove everything as a complete assembly. Doesn't matter if you go coilovers or a spring & strut assembly. You can get all the parts for either (strut mount, bearing, and bump stop if applicable, as Bilsteins monotubes have internal bumpstops, so you don't need external bumpstops) to make it a easy sway back to stock.

BTW... technically the front suspension is a coilover suspension, since the coil (spring) sits over the damper. So, yes you already have a coilover front suspension. But the term has been bastardized to only reference coilovers that have height adjustability

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Dinan, as in the BMW tuning company?

I'm interested in going 265 next year for autocross, but sticking with 245 for tracking to keep costs down. How are you liking them and what 265 tire are you using?

Yes, the BMW tuning company. Before their parent company bought APR, they were getting into the VW market. Once they bought APR, any Dinan products for VW went on flash sale. Mainly it was just the tuner and these coilovers, which luckily they made for the base Golf too (50mm)
So got these coilovers for $500 with original price of $1000.

Some said they are Solowerks, but specs don't match at all. Different spring rates and you can raise the car much more on these vs Solowerks.

I'm not the most perceptive when it comes to stuff like this, but from my limited experience, I would say there is a little bit of floatiness over bumps and there is a little too much lean in turns. But the flip side is since it's my daily, I don't think I would want it any stiffer.

Using FK510 tires which I really like, but they don't last long, so may try the Gmax RS next time

Does anybody know what their spring rates are with the coilover kits they've purchased?

Dinan Coilovers
204 lb/in (front)
270 lb/in (rear)

So not too much higher than stock GTI

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes, the BMW tuning company. Before their parent company bought APR, they were getting into the VW market. Once they bought APR, any Dinan products for VW went on flash sale. Mainly it was just the tuner and these coilovers, which luckily they made for the base Golf too (50mm)
So got these coilovers for $500 with original price of $1000.

Some said they are Solowerks, but specs don't match at all. Different spring rates and you can raise the car much more on these vs Solowerks.

I'm not the most perceptive when it comes to stuff like this, but from my limited experience, I would say there is a little bit of floatiness over bumps and there is a little too much lean in turns. But the flip side is since it's my daily, I don't think I would want it any stiffer.

Using FK510 tires which I really like, but they don't last long, so may try the Gmax RS next time

Dinan Coilovers
204 lb/in (front)
270 lb/in (rear)

So not too much higher than stock GTI

Your floatiness isn't the coilovers, it's the fact that you paired a set of coilovers that are on the softer side, with one of the softer tires. Go with a stiffer sidewall on next set and get rid of the floatiness. For now, fill tires to factory psi, then add 2 psi. They'll feel much better.