GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Just wanna drop a thinker, does anyone try to remove those black dotted paint on windscreen? I read a guy who had it removed, fixed up the bracket and done without replacing glass and breaking up the camera housing.

If I could, it would be the best of all worlds! Post here how the guy managed to remove the dotted lines.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
From what has been reported earlier in this thread, the paint appears to be sandwiched between the two sheets of glass that make up the windshield. So...doesn't sound likely (?).

Cuzoe: You are correct - no way your mirror is going to affix to the windshield mount. Looks like you have #1 in the mirror line drawing I posted above. I'm guessing your mirror, then, is right close to the headliner / dome lights?

I can report that it is indeed possible to get the "new" mirror attachment to stick to the windshield. Mine fell off while driving one day (let me tell ya - that gets your attention in a hurry!). I tried 3M double-sided tape, JB Weld, a couple other adhesives - all lasted a little while....and then it fell off again.

Finally tried Sugru (it's basically putty that hardens/cures when exposed to air) - and that lasted for 3+ years until I replaced the windshield.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
There is a plug & play Auto dimming mirror available that attaches to the mount my car has and includes the plastic channel that goes up to the headliner. Don't know how it compares to the plastic channel that comes on me Mk7.5 mirror.

Nuje, having found a solution to secure a new mirror mount, did you remove your original? And if so, how did you get it off? There are plenty of ambient light/humidity sensing retrofit kits available on AliExpress (pic attached, which is not to say I wouldn't order parts from a dealer), most of which come with the required mount for the window. If I were to install one of those I could knock out a couple retrofits at once; auto headlights and lane assist. To be honest I don't even know if this sensor is responsible for auto headlights but it says so on the product page ?. I also wasn't looking to add auto headlights but I wouldn't mind them, haha.

I don't have climatronic so I assume the humidity sensor/auto wipers wouldn't function but that's not something I care about anyway (our other car has Auto wipers and we turn them off). I don't have a basis for comparison for how close/far my mirror is from the headliner/dome lights. I do have the area of black dots sandwiched in the glass, then the mirror mount right below that, you can kind of see it in my picture. That being said, if I'm installing a new mirror mount anyway I would just put it at the required distance from the headliner to get the sensor below those black dots and allow removal/install of the wire channel.
Screenshot_20200303-114023.jpgIMG_20200303_114530.jpg

Also... sorry to everyone for including full size images, been posting from my phone which mostly works but also does some weird things. Every picture I upload "fails" the first time showing a line through the filename but uploads with no issue if deleted and then re-added.

Last edited:

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello so here is my bracket thanks to the design of bsalih

what i have used:

3mx2cm screws- bought in a 3d printer mounting shop 2€
3 spring -bought in a 3d printer mounting shop 2€
3 precision nuts-bought in a 3d printer mounting shop 3€
3 aluminium laser cutted pieces. Laser Cut 5€

The bigger piece must be bent in a vise accordingly

20200305_094920.jpg
20200305_100856.jpg

20200305_100905.jpg

Last edited:

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello guys , i was thinking can someone do 3d scan of 3g0858548A9b9 Part ?

If i had that scaned part, maybe i can adapt it by extending the front in a triangular shape so that the heater could fit.
3g0.jpg

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
Guys, may I ask, how much to change windscreen with proper bracket? I am from far east, so it is relatively low here. How's your side?

it's even cheaper if your insurance coverage includes windows, that's how I did it.

since I chose the heated version of the windscreen I paid just for the difference, because the car didn't come stock with heated version.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've been through this thread a number of times and I very well may have missed it... But does anybody have windshield part numbers? I'm personally interested in the windshield for the 5Q0 camera but the one for the 3Q0 would be good info as well.

Edit: Disregard! Found the info right here in another thread, posted by o_a_ravi... I love this forum!

5GM-845-011-P-NVB - Windshield for 5Q0 camera
5GM-845-011-R-NVB - Windshield for 3Q0 camera (apparently heated as well)

I'm getting my "affairs in order" for when I break my windshield trying to remove my factory mirror mount.

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I've been through this thread a number of times and I very well may have missed it... But does anybody have windshield part numbers? I'm personally interested in the windshield for the 5Q0 camera but the one for the 3Q0 would be good info as well.

Edit: Disregard! Found the info right here in another thread, posted by o_a_ravi... I love this forum!

5GM-845-011-P-NVB - Windshield for 5Q0 camera
5GM-845-011-R-NVB - Windshield for 3Q0 camera (apparently heated as well)

I'm getting my "affairs in order" for when I break my windshield trying to remove my factory mirror mount.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you check those part numbers on any VW parts website, vehicle fitment only displays Golf Sportwagen and Golf Alltrack. I'm having a hard time finding a windshield for a GTI or R that displays "with lane departure".

https://www.vwpartscenter.net/oem-parts/volkswagen-windshield-5gm845011rnvb

Last edited:

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: I have a working system with the following:

1) Lane assist with traffic jam assist. Also adaptive lane assistance is working great.
2) Sign assist/traffic sign assist is not working. I couldn't figure this one out even though I followed instructions in various websites. Some help would be appreciated.
3) Head light assist is working great with no issues.

Issues:
1) I tried 40cm and 30cm cables. 40cm cable did not work. 20 cm + 20 cm cable did not work. 30cm cable works and in a short period of time gives errors. So I call 30cm cable is not working for 3q0 cameras.
2) Every time I start the car, I have to enable lane assist. It does not remember the last setting. I checked several things and I couldn't find any solution. Any help is appreciated.
3) I was doing 3-hour weekend trips, and during these trips, I sometimes added some weight to test lane assist with adaptive lane guidance, and sometimes I get an ACC not available error. I have to stop and restart the car to enable all these features. It takes from 1-1.5 hour drive to get this error. Maybe keeping weight constantly triggers some internal checks and errors ACC.
4) Since 20cm is not long enough for the module to be hidden inside the roof trim, I have ordered front camera cover. This seems to be the only way unless I cut some pieces on the module and on the roof to create space which I won't do.
5) Car moves within 3 seconds if the car does full stop. I couldn't find any setup to increase that value. I hear people have 15seconds, 50 seconds, even 2 minutes. I'd prefer longer times.

Hello bsalih
I´m facing the 20 cm problem can you take a picture to what you have done please ?
I own a skoda superb mk3, i have removed the dome lights but can´t even see space to pass the ground cable, there is a black plastic (from the headliner) that doesn´t let me see anything, i have to lower the roof.
Does anyone now how to remove those 2 clips ?
20200312_125720.jpg

Thank you

Last edited:

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
People already did all the physical installation and set the camera parameters (module A5), I am pending the calibration with the VAS6430, VAS5054 and Odis. I have a doubt about this failure that appears in the panel "ERROR: Lane Assit!", Because I still haven't calibrated with the VAS6430 Card.
20200312_161905.jpg

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Friend, I already did and redid the installation and encoding via vcds, but still with the same message, "Error Lane assist". I haven't used ODIS, just VCDS, that's the problem.20200312_161905.jpg