GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
answer me a question! I ended up not understanding <Does the 3Q0 unit not work in the 2015 GTI with ACC? Does it only work at 5Q0 in GTI 2015?
From what others have posted in this thread, the 3Q0 camera will NOT work with 2015 GTI ACC if the ACC is part number 5Q0970541. It seems like 5Q0 camera only works with 5Q0 ACC radar.

I have not tried with my 3Q0 camera to confirm this because my 3Q0 camera did not come with parameterization. I am trying to make my 5Q0 camera fit in the 3Q0 camera housing.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I bought this cable (photo in the attachment) that comes with the Cam network wires, will it be necessary to buy another CAM cable for ACC? I remember that my car already has factory ACC.

If it has two pairs of can wires then it is fine for cars with ACC.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Really weird t
Update: I have a working system with the following:

1) Lane assist with traffic jam assist. Also adaptive lane assistance is working great.
2) Sign assist/traffic sign assist is not working. I couldn't figure this one out even though I followed instructions in various websites. Some help would be appreciated.
3) Head light assist is working great with no issues.

Issues:
1) I tried 40cm and 30cm cables. 40cm cable did not work. 20 cm + 20 cm cable did not work. 30cm cable works and in a short period of time gives errors. So I call 30cm cable is not working for 3q0 cameras.
2) Every time I start the car, I have to enable lane assist. It does not remember the last setting. I checked several things and I couldn't find any solution. Any help is appreciated.
3) I was doing 3-hour weekend trips, and during these trips, I sometimes added some weight to test lane assist with adaptive lane guidance, and sometimes I get an ACC not available error. I have to stop and restart the car to enable all these features. It takes from 1-1.5 hour drive to get this error. Maybe keeping weight constantly triggers some internal checks and errors ACC.
4) Since 20cm is not long enough for the module to be hidden inside the roof trim, I have ordered front camera cover. This seems to be the only way unless I cut some pieces on the module and on the roof to create space which I won't do.
5) Car moves within 3 seconds if the car does full stop. I couldn't find any setup to increase that value. I hear people have 15seconds, 50 seconds, even 2 minutes. I'd prefer longer times.

Really weird that its not staying on but to know what the problem is check the fault codes.

I found that whwn performing the Dynamic calibration you need to drive with your hands on the wheel and not let the car drive itself.
It learns from your actions.

Didnt really understand what you meant in the 5th issue.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Way back (early December), I mentioned that I (along with Reaper1) were in the position of having the "wrong" windshield installed in our cars - we have LRR for ACC, and that will apparently only work with 5Q0 camera, but we ended up with windshield with the 3Q0 camera bracket. :(

I was hoping that maybe we could take the camera "guts" out of the 5Q0 camera and put it into the 3Q0 body and mount that into our new pristine (and pricey) windshields. The 3Q0 camera finally arrived and....things do not look good. Below are some photos of the two units, showing relative sizes and dimensions and positions of connector.

For quick reference in looking at these two, the 5Q0 unit has the more square body/housing and larger camera (roughly 17.60mm diameter vs. the 3Q0's 13.3mm diameterView attachment 163632View attachment 163633View attachment 163634View attachment 163635View attachment 163636View attachment 163637View attachment 163638View attachment 163639View attachment 163640View attachment 163641

Why would you want to put the 5q0 guts in the 3q0 body?

5q0 can have a really long ribbon cable so it can be hidden behind the roof.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
The mounting bracket on my replacement windshield is built for the 3Q0 camera; I figured it's going to be easier to get the 5Q0 camera mounted properly inside the 3Q0 body, and have that firmly held in place, versus going with some means of attaching the camera to the back of the rear view mirror.

...unless someone has designed an easily replicable way to mount to the mirror, or otherwise hold it in place.

I do have an area of probably 4x5" up against the windshield underneath the new plastic trim/cover - I can easily put the circuit board there if it should come to that.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Are you saying that the 3Q0 camera will work with old-style ACC, provided there is a CAN-HI and CAN-LO wiring coming off the ACC? Or were you referencing the wiring harness specifically?

thats not what i said, he asked if he needs to add additional wires to connect to his ACC radar but he already has two pairs of CAN wires, whether it will work with old ACC i dont know.

We need info from someone with ACC in his car (mine does not have ACC so i cannot help)

gando85

can someone describe step by step how to make the calibration? because i tried lot of time with always the same result "calibration panel not found". thanks a lot

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I bought a 5T0 camera (new), it doesn't come with any parameters set? If you buy a used 5T0, does it already have the parameters installed, just make some changes?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
For running the CAN wires out to the ACC radar, what's the path that people have taken through the firewall...and how did you do it?
The Aliexpress harness I have (photo on previous page from Luiz, I think) is pretty good in that it has those two long CAN wires (properly color-coded) to go out from the footwell to the ACC. I just can't find a clean/easy path out to the front of the car.

Go out through the same hole that the big fat (30mm diameter) wiring harness uses, which would mean removing the battery tray to get it to come through (?). Or is there an easier path that I'm overlooking?

(Maybe it was mentioned somewhere back in the thread, but I've read the first 17 pages (again) and haven't come across it...and I'm tired, so I just asked. :sneaky:)

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
For running the CAN wires out to the ACC radar, what's the path that people have taken through the firewall...and how did you do it?
The Aliexpress harness I have (photo on previous page from Luiz, I think) is pretty good in that it has those two long CAN wires (properly color-coded) to go out from the footwell to the ACC. I just can't find a clean/easy path out to the front of the car.

Go out through the same hole that the big fat (30mm diameter) wiring harness uses, which would mean removing the battery tray to get it to come through (?). Or is there an easier path that I'm overlooking?

(Maybe it was mentioned somewhere back in the thread, but I've read the first 17 pages (again) and haven't come across it...and I'm tired, so I just asked. :sneaky:)

There is a rubber grommet you can use. That's the way I did it.

This is a good guide - https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...mk7-golf/running-cables-through-the-firewall/

For some reason the inside/footwell area in my car looked completely different to the photos in the guide, I could hardly see the cables and seemed to have an extra padding type layer. It made it a bit more difficult as I couldn't see what I was doing, but managed it after a few tries.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie

If the ACC is factory then you just need to run the wires to the footwell and connect it to the TIUL coupling point, VW already ran wires from the acc to the footwell, all you need to do is connect the camera to these wires.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
I’m going to try to install the camera 3q0 behind the rear view mirror. I currently have the rain sensor and my mirror has the built in garage door opener buttons (non auto dimming). Besides the camera cover 3G0858548A9B9, what else is needed to have a clean install? I saw Reaper1 mention the need for two covers but I only see one part number.