GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic st.2 91 file -- Is It Worth It?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I currently run Uni. St1. I've been contemplating going Uni. St2, but since I'm in California, I'll have to run the 91 file. The question is whether it's worth it. I won't see the same gains as with a 93 file. Will the 91 file gains be marginal compared to stage 1? I will obviously be installing an aftermarket downpipe if i go stage 2.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
gains from the s2 91 file to 93 file will be marginal. gains from s1 to s2 will not. i went from jb4 to uni stage 2 on 93 and gains were definitely worth it. imo uni s2 is the sweet spot of this car(linear pull for fwd set up). If you are strapped for cash i would get nice tires or coilovers instead and stay stage 1 since california has strict emission laws (if a downpipe is going to cause issues). a set up like that should satisfy for a while.

Ven

Yes, as long as you understand that the jump to stage 2 is nowhere near as dramatic going from stock to stage 1. I switch back and forth on 1 and 2 sometimes and 2 is definitely worth it. Way more top end pull, boost come on faster, it feels more aggressive in all aspects. My tunes are 91 as well.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yes, as long as you understand that the jump to stage 2 is nowhere near as dramatic going from stock to stage 1. I switch back and forth on 1 and 2 sometimes and 2 is definitely worth it. Way more top end pull, boost come on faster, it feels more aggressive in all aspects. My tunes are 91 as well.
Top end pull is what i would like more of. I really like stage 1, but the desire for added power (not going big turbo) is still there. And faster boost delivery will be a huge plus.
Thanks for the feedback.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
gains from the s2 91 file to 93 file will be marginal. gains from s1 to s2 will not. i went from jb4 to uni stage 2 on 93 and gains were definitely worth it. imo uni s2 is the sweet spot of this car(linear pull for fwd set up). If you are strapped for cash i would get nice tires or coilovers instead and stay stage 1 since california has strict emission laws (if a downpipe is going to cause issues). a set up like that should satisfy for a while.
My tires are fine and I'm just about done modding the suspension (lowering springs w/ Koni Yellows). I just want be sure that shelling out ~$700 for a dp and st.2 91 file is worth it. Emissions won't be a problem.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
My tires are fine and I'm just about done modding the suspension (lowering springs w/ Koni Yellows). I just want be sure that shelling out ~$700 for a dp and st.2 91 file is worth it. Emissions won't be a problem.

It would seem stage 1 on 93 vs stage 2 on 91 would not be that much. Without a dyno or trap speeds, it’s impossible to know.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
If you want more top end, do it, and don't look back. Be prepared though to modify your exhaust, as drone with an unresonated down pipe and factory set up is sub-optimal. Most add in a Vibrant to get it back to stock sounding; I did and love it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If you want more top end, do it, and don't look back. Be prepared though to modify your exhaust, as drone with an unresonated down pipe and factory set up is sub-optimal. Most add in a Vibrant to get it back to stock sounding; I did and love it.
Yeah, I'm working out the dp details, drone is the last thing i want.

Not looking back us what I'm good at :)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
This is going to be a race as to who gets to stage 2 first, lol

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This is going to be a race as to who gets to stage 2 first, lol
Since Uni doesn't give upgrade discounts to existing customers, i don't have to wait for a sale to happen. I'll probably get the dp as a birthday present to myself next month. I'll be st.2 by the end of September, if everything goes according to plan.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Since Uni doesn't give upgrade discounts to existing customers, i don't have to wait for a sale to happen. I'll probably get the dp as a birthday present to myself next month. I'll be st.2 by the end of September, if everything goes according to plan.
Nice.. You win. I still don't know why they don't do a discount for existing customers. I definitely have to wait after my recent DP/MP install

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nice.. You win. I still don't know why they don't do a discount for existing customers. I definitely have to wait after my recent DP/MP install

They do; the upgrade Stages are already discounted. The big one APR does is give you the Stage 2 software upgrade from Stage 1 for free IF you buy their downpipe.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
They do; the upgrade Stages are already discounted. The big one APR does is give you the Stage 2 software upgrade from Stage 1 for free IF you buy their downpipe.
Unitronic st. 2 price is already discounted at $800???? No way

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
St1: $650
St2: $750

Upgrade from st1 to st2: $150. That's $50 more than if you go straight to stage 2. So no discount there.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Unitronic st. 2 price is already discounted at $800???? No way

I was talking about the upgrade if you have Stage 1 - it's only ~$150 I believe. If you are going straight to Stage 2 from not having any software, $800 sounds right. They run sales several times a year that will knock that down a bit.