GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordered a new golf r

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Congrats, Bartman.

I can understand trying to prevent joyriders, but no test drive = no sale. I am definitely not filling out any financial forms until after a test drive and a deal is agree upon. Either go to another dealer or don’t buy one.

It's not so much due to joyriders, but mostly to keep the milage low on new cars. In the USA it's normal for dealer to have stock of new cars vs ordering and they don't want to rack up milage.

For me, unless I'm 99% certain I want the particular car, I do not ask for a test drive and just sit in the cockpit. From buying so many new cars over the years, the test drive is only a last pass/fail check to verify everything works on the car. I'll need a few months to know whether I really like the car or not anyway. There are so many online reviews these days one can sort of gauge what the car is going to be like.

cinderbike

Ready to race!
Congrats, Bartman.

It's not so much due to joyriders, but mostly to keep the milage low on new cars. In the USA it's normal for dealer to have stock of new cars vs ordering and they don't want to rack up milage.

For me, unless I'm 99% certain I want the particular car, I do not ask for a test drive and just sit in the cockpit. From buying so many new cars over the years, the test drive is only a last pass/fail check to verify everything works on the car. I'll need a few months to know whether I really like the car or not anyway. There are so many online reviews these days one can sort of gauge what the car is going to be like.

Yep, by the time I went on a test drive I was 99% sure I was getting a GTI/R. The only thing it did was confirm I didn’t want a DSG.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Congrats, Bartman.

I was in the car biz for a bunch of years. Sure, they don't want to rack up miles on these cars, but they also don't want joyriders beating the shit out them and wasting the dealership's time.

If the car is from the regular stock and not a special order, they'll sell it for that same deal whether it has 8mi or 108mi.

19 r

Passed Driver's Ed
My wife got to test drive her '18 GTI Autobahn at Hendrick in Concord, NC. I got to test drive my '19 R at VW of South Charlotte. But, in both cases the salesman not only rode along, but started out driving. Glad they're not two seaters!

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Congrats, Bartman.

Yes, but if the car i'm heavily considering buying is sitting on the lot and i'm just about to pull the trigger, I want to give it a drive simply to make sure everything "feels" right before leave. Of course with an order you don't get that luxury, but if i can potentially avoid a headache, I'll try.

It makes no sense to me that I can't test drive a VW Golf R, but I've walked into an Audi dealership, sat in a $61k TTS just for fun and the salesman was encouraging me to take it out for a spin (I didn't as I had other things to get to).

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
It makes no sense to me that I can't test drive a VW Golf R, but I've walked into an Audi dealership, sat in a $61k TTS just for fun and the salesman was encouraging me to take it out for a spin (I didn't as I had other things to get to).

What? That makes no sense. Did you say you were in Concord NC? Call Flow vw in Burlington. They knocked $3k off of the sticker without blinking and they moved the car I bought out of the show room and had it ready to test drive when I arrived...

Edit: sorry, I see you're in AZ. Time to find a different dealer if they won't work with you...

drt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Common here in Houston, at least for me, that they don't let you test drive the R, to keep the miles low. One dealer said I could test drive but wanted to check my credit first...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Yea, neither of my local dealers would do test drives on new Rs.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea, neither of my local dealers would do test drives on new Rs.

Wow, that's nuts. It's not like you can beat on the car by virtue of 2 issues. One, the salesman is in the car with you. Two, the ECM knows the mileage and limits the power on the car until it reaches 1100 miles, so you can't damage the engine.

That's a crappy way to sell a car... Makes me appreciate the way I was treated at Flow in Burlington even more.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Wow, that's nuts. It's not like you can beat on the car by virtue of 2 issues. One, the salesman is in the car with you. Two, the ECM knows the mileage and limits the power on the car until it reaches 1100 miles, so you can't damage the engine.

That's a crappy way to sell a car... Makes me appreciate with the way I was treated at Flow in Burlington even more.

Yea, I don't feel like either of them are very good dealers. One of them lied to me 6 years ago just to get me into the door for a test drive. The other one had a 1 year old R with 7k miles for 39k and I didn't get even get to test drive it because they couldn't find the keys for it.

I feel like all the dealers around here suck lol, On the other end I went for a test drive in a wrx sti and all they did was take a copy of my license and handed me the key. The salesmen didn't even come with me. I went on the test drive by myself.

I ended up buying a slightly used one, but the dealer I ended up buying it from was pretty good as far as what they allowed me to do. Spent 5 hours at the dealership working things out and at one point stopped to ask to go for another test drive before we finalized things. I needed something longer than the 10 minute test drive they gave me initially.

I was only really planning on looking, so I drove up there with nothing removed from my mk6 yet. There was a bunch of parts I wanted to swap around so I could sell some aftermarket stuff. They ended up letting me take my trade in home after the deal and take off any parts I wanted. I didn't have to work out a list of what I was swapping out or anything like that.

We wrote up the deal on saturday and I signed all the paperwork. I wanted to show some people the new car so they put a dealer plate on the R for me. The dealers an hour away so I took the new car home for a couple hours and then drove back to the dealer to get my trade in back. I didn't get back to the dealership until 11pm.

Then I drove my trade in home so I could take it apart on sunday. On monday I drove back up there on the dry rotted original tires and swapped cars for good. It was kind of a different situation, but I was surprised how easy going the dealer was about the whole thing.

heelntoe

i wanna go fast

That's a crappy way to sell a car... Makes me appreciate the way I was treated at Flow in Burlington even more.

I admittedly don'get out much, but i have not heard of your reason #2 before!
is this true? If so, is there anything numerical that we can attribute? i.e. only 80% power until 1,100 miles??

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Two, the ECM knows the mileage and limits the power on the car until it reaches 1100 miles, so you can't damage the engine.

I've never heard this before. Plenty of people take them to the drag strip with just a few hundred miles or less and run low 13's or high 12's bone stock, which would indicate full power is available.

apexeater10

I live in az and I've never had a problem test driving a R. One place never ever took my driver's license.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c