GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rabbit Edition GTI Availability

F1fletch1

So I am looking at one of these Rabbit editions and I am curious what you guys think about the production numbers (1000 gray 1000 cornflower blue 500 white and 500 black), I understand there will only be 3000 total for the US in 2019.

Do you guys think these will still be available come spring or summer since they are hitting dealers now? My wife seems to think they will be available for many months still and I am doubtful about that.

Curious to see what you guys think.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
The dealer I bought mine from has sold at least two already - my white one, and a Urano. The person who bought the Urano popped up on Reddit and I recognized the lot.

I read elsewhere on this forum that GTI sales are poor so far this year, but if a Rabbt edition is what you want, and you find the color and transmission you want, I’d go ahead and do it.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
VWoA press release said Rabbit trim is going to be in limited production numbers and didn go into any numbers. There have been speculations in several medias that the number is 3000. IMO, most numbers out there regarding exterior color splits is just a speculation.

Just because of the uncertainty, i would start talking to the dealers now if you have decided on the purchase. But dont let the dealer control your negotiations because of these limited numbers. There have been reports of people getting good discounts even on those vehicles.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
VWoA press release said Rabbit trim is going to be in limited production numbers and didn go into any numbers. There have been speculations in several medias that the number is 3000. IMO, most numbers out there regarding exterior color splits is just a speculation.

Just because of the uncertainty, i would start talking to the dealers now if you have decided on the purchase. But dont let the dealer control your negotiations because of these limited numbers. There have been reports of people getting good discounts even on those vehicles.

I had one dealer try that “ they’re limited editions, so the cost is higher “ bs. They wanted 31,3 OTD... I paid 29,168.

homercules

I just picked up my Rabbit in urano grey last week. Wasn't sure if I could get what I wanted if I waited so I paid the full $33,995 ($25,700us) msrp but didn't have to pay for anything extra thankfully.

w124_karl

Ready to race!

I paid about what the DC Metro area dealers told me I'd have to pay for a leftover 2018 SE. My OTD including TTL and fees, was significantly less than the MSRP on the sticker.

Flow VW of Burlington, for anyone in the SE US who's looking for a good dealer to do business with.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
VW has stated that the Rabbit will be "limited production" without putting a hard number on it. Also, unlike a lot of "limited edition" vehicles, I don't see a numbered "008/3000" plaque mentioned anywhere in the marketing, which leads me to conclude: they planned on a limited production, so they're doing that run right now. But, since it's not like they need to change anything on the production line, just the components they're feeding it with, they could continue to make Rabbits for the entire year, or until the supply of 2 paint colors and black wheels runs out, neither of which is likely. If there's enough demand, there's no reason they couldn't continue to build Rabbits for the entire 2019 production run.

With that in mind, if that turns out not to be the case, you'll probably have a hard time finding one (especially if you're got a specific color/trans in mind) come summer, since whenever a company says "limited," a special group of suckers buy them in the anticipation that they'll appreciate in value, which of course is pure nonsense.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I haven’t yet, but I will contact my dealer about the badges, as far as the spoiler and such, it’s obviously there [emoji1303]

Oh yeah, I wasnt expecting the spoiler or the vehicle in that package [emoji4]

Btw another poster in Vortex posted the contents in that package.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
VW has stated that the Rabbit will be "limited production" without putting a hard number on it. Also, unlike a lot of "limited edition" vehicles, I don't see a numbered "008/3000" plaque mentioned anywhere in the marketing, which leads me to conclude: they planned on a limited production, so they're doing that run right now. But, since it's not like they need to change anything on the production line, just the components they're feeding it with, they could continue to make Rabbits for the entire year, or until the supply of 2 paint colors and black wheels runs out, neither of which is likely. If there's enough demand, there's no reason they couldn't continue to build Rabbits for the entire 2019 production run.

With that in mind, if that turns out not to be the case, you'll probably have a hard time finding one (especially if you're got a specific color/trans in mind) come summer, since whenever a company says "limited," a special group of suckers buy them in the anticipation that they'll appreciate in value, which of course is pure nonsense.

I wasn’t a “sucker” that bought one for that reason. I wanted the wheels, LEDs, etc which would cost quite a bit if I were to have bought an S and then added the above mentioned, including the 7 speed.

I did not want a the sunroof, leather, etc for added weight, and the sunroof issues others have had.

homercules

VW has stated that the Rabbit will be "limited production" without putting a hard number on it. Also, unlike a lot of "limited edition" vehicles, I don't see a numbered "008/3000" plaque mentioned anywhere in the marketing, which leads me to conclude: they planned on a limited production, so they're doing that run right now. But, since it's not like they need to change anything on the production line, just the components they're feeding it with, they could continue to make Rabbits for the entire year, or until the supply of 2 paint colors and black wheels runs out, neither of which is likely. If there's enough demand, there's no reason they couldn't continue to build Rabbits for the entire 2019 production run...

There is a thread on vortex where someone posted a photo of the production run dates and it looks like they are doing the special edition colors first. Urano grey is done its production run which I confirmed with my dealer. Don't think too many have sold yet as we just got them but they are all out there somewhere.

I found the link: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9215753-Any-news-on-2019-GTI-Order-Guide/page18

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
It isn't an appealing package to me.

No Kessy, no Fender Sound and no sunroof.

Those are three things that would keep me from buying, I could would not want that.

Where they did go right is the Urano Gray and Cornflower Blue colors and LED headlights.

I can wrap my car with Intense Blue and make my own. ;)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
There is a thread on vortex where someone posted a photo of the production run dates and it looks like they are doing the special edition colors first. Urano grey is done its production run which I confirmed with my dealer. Don't think too many have sold yet as we just got them but they are all out there somewhere.

I found the link: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9215753-Any-news-on-2019-GTI-Order-Guide/page18

No wonder that most dealers got Urano grey vehicles in their first batch. Looks like at least the colors might have limited availability based on the dates in this order guide. In Canada, Rabbits are suppose to have an unlimited run. If Urano grey and Cornflower blue production stops early this year, will they just get Black and White Rabbits for the rest of the year?

I wish VW was open about their plan on their so called limited production.