GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS Intercooler

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
even if I wanted to dremel out my drivers side top like luchin, i dont have enough material to equal his result.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
If anyone in here has a stock intercooler sitting in the garage and has a caliper gauge. I am still pursuing my RMA but it would be interesting to see how close the oem holes are. Here are my measurements.

One side is square, one side is not. All but 3 sides are basically 16mm holes. The long side of the last one is 25mm.

Don't worry about the gauge not being flush to edges. The holes aren't flush. Gauge was expanded to max.

Took several measurements for you. Not identical but does not appear to be significantly off either. Let me know if you need anything else measured.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
thanks for all the pics. its close, but i would guess each side needs 1-2mm shaved in some spots. mine is boxed up at the door for return anyway, but this might help others.

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
The plastic pieces at the top of the radiator are for alignment to help the mid bracket connect easier.
I have a R and GTI stock cooler so will pull it out of storage later and measure up.

We checked the stock at hand and found a few more with variances and a different cast was used for those. On the balance its the size that users have had not fitment issues

We have since amended the install to include that some work might be needed till we iron out the problem.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I can’t say much for taking the car to the track but my engine temp was a cool 88 deg celsius after 30 min of highway driving. Before the BMS IC I was up between 95 and 102 on the same drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I guess he does actually mean engine temp as 88C is around 190F, so that's about right. Mine most of the time is around 180F during normal highway driving

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
Wow I feel really bad for all the people that bought this thinking it would fit without modification, only to realize as they are trying to install it, it doesn't fit.
I would be very upset. I hope BMS does the right thing.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I can’t say much for taking the car to the track but my engine temp was a cool 88 deg celsius after 30 min of highway driving. Before the BMS IC I was up between 95 and 102 on the same drive.

Engine temp?

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
The plastic pieces at the top of the radiator are for alignment to help the mid bracket connect easier.
I have a R and GTI stock cooler so will pull it out of storage later and measure up.

We checked the stock at hand and found a few more with variances and a different cast was used for those. On the balance its the size that users have had not fitment issues

We have since amended the install to include that some work might be needed till we iron out the problem.
Any updates on what BMS is doing for affected owners and when revised intercoolers that are manufactured correctly will be in stock?

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Any updates on what BMS is doing for affected owners and when revised intercoolers that are manufactured correctly will be in stock?

Here is what George had to say in response to my email. Obviously he’s keen on making it right, I just don’t know what would be reasonable to make it right. I would have liked to have gotten what I paid for. I’m the kind of guy that won’t bother with something if it has to be jerry rigged to make it work. To the point that I would have been happy to pay the extra for the APR IC or not do it at all. Anyway, here’s is George’s response:

We have gone through the current stock we have and it seems that on some units a different casting was used and the guide holes are slightly out. We have added this to the install guide even though we have sorted the coolers with the issues.
Let me know what will make you happy so we can sort it out.

tsigeoff

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is what George had to say in response to my email. Obviously he’s keen on making it right, I just don’t know what would be reasonable to make it right. I would have liked to have gotten what I paid for. I’m the kind of guy that won’t bother with something if it has to be jerry rigged to make it work. To the point that I would have been happy to pay the extra for the APR IC or not do it at all. Anyway, here’s is George’s response:

We have gone through the current stock we have and it seems that on some units a different casting was used and the guide holes are slightly out. We have added this to the install guide even though we have sorted the coolers with the issues.
Let me know what will make you happy so we can sort it out.

Sounds fair. If it's already installed with the modifications needed then maybe keep it in. If you haven't installed it, exchange it for a new one.