GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
i think he wants Dynamic calib , whatever you do,

Can i say something stupid... was the camera from UK or another country , mybay the oposite driving is causing it
Damn that sucks.

There is a setting in the camera for RHD Or LHD

But Im thinking about 3d printing a bracket just like you did, would you be abke to help me with it?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
ofcourse man, my 3d printed case is for 3q though

Thanks, Yea i know.

Tomorrow i will try and just glue the camera to the windshield and calibrate it to see if it works, then i will make the housing for the camera smaller so it can fit in the factory trim, So i wil need to 3d print it.

I Just need something that can hold the camera and heater flush with the windshield but will be small enough to fit in the factory trim.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys.

I've been having a think earlier today about a bit of a hybrid solution. I think what you have done looks great gc9n. It actually appears to not take up as much space on the windscreen as I thought it might.

I was thinking of designing some kind of 3d printed case, but a little smaller, to just house the lens (and most likely just big enough to take the heater too) and then still extend with the ribbon cable to mount the circuit board above the interior lights. That way the kit to mount on the windscreen is much lighter and as the lens is smaller I have more leeway with the design.

At the moment it's purely an idea, but I may have a go at a rough mock-up and a test print, to get the angle correct against the windscreen. Out of interest what software did you use to design your mount gc9n? I have a bit of experience with designing small objects in SketchUp for 3d print, however it's certainly not the best program for the job.

Of course, if I manage to get something sorted, that holds the camera at the correct angle I can share the file with you Reaper. It will be cool to see if you testing a temporary mount of the cam on the windscreen can sort out your calibration errors. :)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys.

I've been having a think earlier today about a bit of a hybrid solution. I think what you have done looks great gc9n. It actually appears to not take up as much space on the windscreen as I thought it might.

I was thinking of designing some kind of 3d printed case, but a little smaller, to just house the lens (and most likely just big enough to take the heater too) and then still extend with the ribbon cable to mount the circuit board above the interior lights. That way the kit to mount on the windscreen is much lighter and as the lens is smaller I have more leeway with the design.

At the moment it's purely an idea, but I may have a go at a rough mock-up and a test print, to get the angle correct against the windscreen. Out of interest what software did you use to design your mount gc9n? I have a bit of experience with designing small objects in SketchUp for 3d print, however it's certainly not the best program for the job.

Of course, if I manage to get something sorted, that holds the camera at the correct angle I can share the file with you Reaper. It will be cool to see if you testing a temporary mount of the cam on the windscreen can sort out your calibration errors. :)

This is exactly what i thought, Next to the rain sensor, and tint around it.

Then you should be able to use the factory trim.

I Hope putting it flush against the windscreen eliminate that issue, as the current placement can move anywhere with just a small tap, and 1 degree of offset can lead to tens of meters of offset in what the camera sees.

Sure i can print it and try, For now i thought of gluing the camera with heater to the windshield and check the offset to see how much improvment there is.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
i understand what you saying reaper , if you give me the dimensions of the camera-lens itself , i might design something for yu

And what about the heater? I might be wrong but i think the 3q0 and 5q0 heaters are different, mine doesnt fit in the 3q0 bracket

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
This is exactly what i thought, Next to the rain sensor, and tint around it.

Then you should be able to use the factory trim.

I Hope putting it flush against the windscreen eliminate that issue, as the current placement can move anywhere with just a small tap, and 1 degree of offset can lead to tens of meters of offset in what the camera sees.

Sure i can print it and try, For now i thought of gluing the camera with heater to the windshield and check the offset to see how much improvment there is.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan, just an ugly test run with it glued to the windscreen XD

That's the only thing that concerns me, trying to get the offset spot on in a printed housing. I suppose that's the beauty of 3d printing though, just keep tweaking and printing until it's correct :D

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, that sounds like a good plan, just an ugly test run with it glued to the windscreen XD

That's the only thing that concerns me, trying to get the offset spot on in a printed housing. I suppose that's the beauty of 3d printing though, just keep tweaking and printing until it's correct :D

Yep xD, It should be easier to get it spot on, the windshield is what should get the Pitch and Yaw really close to 0, it sits flush on a flat surface so no going anywhere, but it needs to be placed parallel to the edge of the windshield to get the roll perfect.

But i Think we have to keep the oem camera mount(and cut it to make it smaller), It holds the camera in a bit of an angle and keeps the heater in the correct angle to the camera aswell.

Last edited:

gc9n

Ready to race!
i made some changes to the bracket.
the air vents are tilt in order to send the air exactly into the camera little window in order to defroze this part...
the factory heater is there because theres no other way to do it...
this is invisible of course , is under the tint

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
i made some changes to the bracket.
the air vents are tilt in order to send the air exactly into the camera little window in order to defroze this part...
the factory heater is there because theres no other way to do it...
this is invisible of course , is under the tint

Do you use a fan for cooling? or is it overkill?

Last edited:

gc9n

Ready to race!
i have some good news but bad news also.

i installed the camera , very neat very clear installation

Problems. i started calibration , when started , near the end of the calibration
a message poped wanted me to send the data online??? what? i cancel it.

after that i wanted to start the VCDS , i enabled the Trafic recognision,
all the steps done , and a message error popped saying that there is an error in trafic recognition. (i dont know if this happen because the calibration didnt finish properly)

in the end i wanted to enable the HIGH BEAM ASSIST...
this option is not avalable for me
Adapation
Assistance light functions Menuesteuerung Fernlichtassistent
Change to Present (Enables setting on menu)

Attachments

• 2019-01-13_18-13-36.jpg
    2019-01-13_18-13-36.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 604
  • 2019-01-13_18-52-51.jpg
    2019-01-13_18-52-51.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 609

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ok a few things, when odis asks you for username and password without you asking for online connection you can just cancel it and keep coding.

But when you calibrated the camera, you probably didnt read it but ODIS Asks you if you want to do a SVM which connects to vw servers and gets the right coding for your camera, you need to hit no when it asks you this.

And about the VCDS, it might be different in your car, have you checked the LIGHT menu in your cars settings?( pic attached)

P.S Im not sure if the setting for the light assist you enabled is the correct one.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited: