GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSB upgrade and clunk / loose noise

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Recent RSB install (ST suspension 25mm). Now getting slight clunk and loose noise in the near.

I checked everything and tighten the swaybar to frame and also tighten the OEM endlinks.
However, still getting the noise.

Are the OEM endlink just bad / garbage ?

*I ordered the Moog rear endlinks as a preventative measure... *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Replace oem with Moog, as you're already in the process of doing, and you'll be fine. The oem links are pretty weak imo

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Replace oem with Moog, as you're already in the process of doing, and you'll be fine. The oem links are pretty weak imo

I duno about that.. I'm running on the original OEM endlinks with Eibach 25mm sway bar I have 77,000 miles on my car with no issues.. Something could still be loose even though it feels tight.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I had a clunk shortly after installing my 034 RSB w/ stock endlinks. Had SuperPro endlinks installed when I had an alignment done. Noise free for a short period and now its back over bumps. I've learned to live with it.

I have a feeling its actually the rear shocks (on my car at least). I had planned on and ordered a set of B8s already so we'll see if that was the issue.

As stated, just double check. If possible double check torque values. Was everything tightened under load?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

I’ll try this out.
At least on the new end links (Moog), the hex nuts will be greatly appreciated. I can’t stand the OEM design with the triple square screws

I had a clunk shortly after installing my 034 RSB w/ stock endlinks. Had SuperPro endlinks installed when I had an alignment done. Noise free for a short period and now its back over bumps. I've learned to live with it.

I have a feeling its actually the rear shocks (on my car at least). I had planned on and ordered a set of B8s already so we'll see if that was the issue.

As stated, just double check. If possible double check torque values. Was everything tightened under load?

Interesting.
I’ll try the new endlinks and see how it goes.

I also have a slight squeaking now too so i’ll add some grease.
Yes, everything was tighten while the rear is on ramps.

Last edited:

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI

I'd recommend getting under your care and check the end links, even a quarter turn loose and they will make wild noises. You can just look/touch underneath, you need to put a wrench to it. It's happened to be with my SuperPro links.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Torque to spec.
All bolts important on this car.
Deutsche Auto has some video on this install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I'd recommend getting under your care and check the end links, even a quarter turn loose and they will make wild noises. You can just look/touch underneath, you need to put a wrench to it. It's happened to be with my SuperPro links.
One of the End links, the bolt was rusted and with the combination of rust and the lack of good leverage with those small triple square screws, it's clear that 1 side isn't fully tight.

I think having new end links might help in guarantying that they are tighter. The design of the OEM links is mind blowing dumb (IMO). You basically have to hold that middle triple square bolt for dear life while using a wrench...

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Torque to spec.
All bolts important on this car.
Deutsche Auto has some video on this install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Endlinks to RSB = 35lbft
RSB to subframe = 50lbft

(I think)

AR11

Ready to race!
If you've done all that consider removing, regreasing the bushing and reinstalling

Agree that the rear end link isn't inherently problematic and frankly less likely to make noise than an aftermarket option so long as it doesn't snap (plastic construction)

L26_BRO

Passed Driver's Ed
If your GTI is just a daily driver with some spirited driving, do you guys consider the plastic end links adequate? Got my eye on this ST 25mm RSB. Main goal is to feel better bombing on and exit ramps.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
If your GTI is just a daily driver with some spirited driving, do you guys consider the plastic end links adequate? Got my eye on this ST 25mm RSB. Main goal is to feel better bombing on and exit ramps.

I believe the problem with mine is the bolts were rusted. So removing them from the OEM bar and putting them on the new bar, i’m not able to get the bolt to tighten enough. The design is also pretty bad (triple square bolt in the middle).

I think they are adequate but only if you’re able to put them back on the upgraded RSB and get them tight enough.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

They're adequate. Only reason to replace them is if they break/strip/etc.

Last edited:

Jarbear

Ready to race!

Endlinks were adequately torqued (under load) and bushings were greased (via zerk fitting).