GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Press Release - New GTI "Rabbit" Edition trim

Juggar

Ready to race!
Being a limited production run, it would be interesting to see dealer discounts on these Rabbit edition GTIs.

Wont be much thats for sure. I can already see my small dealer having one on the showroom floor with some crazy 34K price tag on it.

Go down to Atlanta and suddenly its 29,990.... Thats the way it goes I guess.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Does anyone know what the rabbit/GTI spoiler is in their press photos?

From the photos it looks like the Golf R performance pack spoiler, am i seeing that right? The white GTI looks like it has it too. The R doesn't have it there.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Wont be much thats for sure. I can already see my small dealer having one on the showroom floor with some crazy 34K price tag on it.

Go down to Atlanta and suddenly its 29,990.... Thats the way it goes I guess.

Pricing it as much or more than an SE would be pretty dumb. It’s a color scheme and different wheels, that’s all.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Wow this seems like nice upgrades for GTI, get the R brakes and more HP, yes? Nothing for the R except more colors.

GTI always had R brakes on VAQ-equipped "Performance Pack" cars. Basically the base model was the only one that didnt have the R brakes

xmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
That gray looks awesome, as do the wheels.

I say that 2019 SE w/Fender and DCC is peak GTI. Autobahn's feature set will attract only a small group of buyers.

I have a 2017 Autobahn; I got it last December, and only because it was year end and no SE models were available (in 2017, SE had Fender and DCC). I don't use the built-in navigation, the power seat is a pain to use without memory settings, I don't care about climatronic in such a small car, I don't think I want lane keeping and auto parking, and I got the add-on accessory Homelink auto-dimming mirror anyway.

I do know that we'll see a decent number of people bemoaning that the SE has sunroof. I won't necessarily disagree with them. The ideal SE for me would not have a sunroof, although in the end it doesn't matter to me.

Maybe if they had kept sunroof limited to the Autobahn, and added digital cockpit to the Autobahn, they'd have a good case to make for the higher price.
2017 SE does not have DCC, that was Autobahn only.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I have a 15 autobahn, no PP, just assumed I didn't get as good brakes...

Oh yeah, 15's/16's didn't have PP built-in to the trim levels. So people like you could get Autobahns without the brakes or diff. I remember seeing an autobahn with halogen headlights and no diff lol... what is even the point

joshdub

Passed Driver's Ed
The 2019 spec is exactly how I want an Mk7.5 SE equipped. Glad I waited and didn't buy an '18 model. Don't need navigation or the other junk.

Now, just need to wait until 2019 models are $5k+ off MSRP...

The only difference for the SE is the addition of DCC and fender audio. Otherwise it remains the same but loses the ability to get the cloth interior.

Hollow Grind

Maybe in 2020 the S will get LED headlights. That's now the only thing non-trim separating the 2019 Rabbit edition from a 2019 S, no?

C'mon VW, just empty out the parts bin and morph the S into the now discontinued Sport!

Juggar

Ready to race!
Maybe in 2020 the S will get LED headlights. That's now the only thing non-trim separating the 2019 Rabbit edition from a 2019 S, no?

C'mon VW, just empty out the parts bin and morph the S into the now discontinued Sport!

Did you not read the media release? The S still wont have KESSY with push button start and also wont have "Front Assist, Blind Spot Monitor, and Rear Traffic Alert." as standard equipment.

The Rabbit model will essentially have the lighting, KESSY and those safety features over it. Plus of course whatever cosmetic stuff the rabbit model gets.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
:p

Did you not read the media release? The S still wont have KESSY with push button start and also wont have "Front Assist, Blind Spot Monitor, and Rear Traffic Alert." as standard equipment.

The Rabbit model will essentially have the lighting, KESSY and those safety features over it. Plus of course whatever cosmetic stuff the rabbit model gets.

I don't understand the meaning of "Non-trim separating," but the S still doesn't get performance pack.

edit: nvm. didn't realize the "all models come standard with 228 hp/VAQ/Golf R brakes" part

Last edited:

Juggar

Ready to race!
I don't understand the meaning of "Non-trim separating," but the S still doesn't get performance pack.

Huh? The S is getting the VAQ and Golf R brakes, so......