GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My spur-of-the-moment Golf R purchase

shamibal

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2016 golf r. I first bought the jb4 piggyback tuner. It was nice and powerful but the moment you had hot weather temperature of 90f+ the car would drive terribly. I tried to reduce the boost with jb4 app. It still ran like garbage in hot weather. Hated to remove it before dealer visits. Pain in the ass. I was told to upgrade to an aftermarket INTERCOOLER, just before I took this leap apr plus came out. This has been the best mod I have ever done. No need for an INTERCOOLER or an cold air intake. All I did was take out snow guard out of the air box. Put in a afe dryfiller. Dremel open the driver side ram air vent and the car runs so much better.
Best mods
1. Apr+
2. Air box tweaks
3. Obde11 tweaks esp gas pedal Tweak
Yes the cars Turning radius sucks
Best vehicle for amazing turning radius I have driven is my 2011 touareg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
- The 6 year/72000 mile warranty…, it's almost a shame to spoil it with an engine tune. At least the APR Plus offers some middle ground, though who knows if they'll still be around in 6 years

Or 6 months. A web site is cheap.

- The dealer I bought it from is an "Authorized APR Plus Dealer", for whatever that's worth

They could be an "Authorized Jeb's Blinker Fluid Dealer" for that matter. Auto service shops sell lots of things, because they're in business to make money. That doesn't mean what they sell necessarily has anything to do with VW or the VWoA new car factory warranty.

- Potholes… yes the wheels will be toast. Dealer tried to sell me wheel insurance but I steadfastly refused. My plan was to be hypervigilant when driving and steer around the potholes. Lol. After a few outings on NY's fine thruways, it seems this strategy doesn't work at highway speeds. If the wheels get dinged up I can always use that as an excuse to buy some that are easier on the eyes

I've got 8 months and 13500 highway miles on my GTI. It's not an R with 19" wheels, but still, 18 inchers with 45 series tires aren't exactly truck tires. It was a very rough winter. The roads are absolute hell. Three months in, I had to replace the windshield because of a rock hit on the highway. And even now, the potholes are still there, big time. And last week, I hit the biggest damn pothole you can imagine, at freeway speed. I thought the whole car was toast.

But I didn't lose air, I didn't ding the wheel, nothing. The suspension is fine. I was shocked, given how hard it hit.

My point is, this seems to be a tough little vehicle. I'm pleasantly surprised.

cb1111

Methinks you should not use the word "methinks" as it makes your reply sound pretentious and condescending instead of thoughtful and helpful.

While you are correct that a particular turning radius at full lock is what it is and will not change, you are ignoring the combination of progressive and variable steering together which combine to change not only the feel of the wheel at different speeds but also turns the front wheels more or less depending on the driver's input. It's not linear. The gears on the rack change pitch so it not only turns more the more you turn the wheel, it turns MORE more the more you turn the wheel.

I guarantee your car will have a huge turning radius if you barely turn the wheel but a much tighter radius if you go full lock.

Again, the OP said he did not like the turning radius of the car and indicated parking is not as good as he'd like and that is rarely a full lock maneuver. So while a car's defined turning radius is at full lock, there are many turning radii between straight ahead and full lock. Just because someone used the term "turning radius" it doesn't mean they ONLY mean full lock.

I think the R parks very well and I have yet to misjudge a parking spot.
Good backpedal.

So the car turns more the more you turn the steering wheel. Who would a thunk it?

Turning radius has a definition. It is the amount of space needs to turn at full lock.

Go ahead, you can admit that you were wrong. I do it all the time.

McJaggleToes

Good backpedal.

So the car turns more the more you turn the steering wheel. Who would a thunk it?

Turning radius has a definition. It is the amount of space needs to turn at full lock.

Yeah, really mind blowing stuff, huh? That guy is a clown.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
If you're so smart and 100% correct with everything you say as you believe you are, you answer the OP with some wisdom only you can provide.

"Two quibbles, the turning radius (I bought it because it's a small car, but it sure doesn't park like a small car)"

Address that with some helpful information. Really. If you're going to be smarmy at anything anyone else says here you tell us what the actual reply to this is. I want to know. I offered a comment and tried to further the conversation. You only harped on me because you don't agree with what I said or how I said it. So please, reply to the OP with some helpful information.

We're listening.

McJaggleToes

If you're so smart and 100% correct with everything you say as you believe you are, you answer the OP with some wisdom only you can provide.

"Two quibbles, the turning radius (I bought it because it's a small car, but it sure doesn't park like a small car)"

Address that with some helpful information. Really. If you're going to be smarmy at anything anyone else says here you tell us what the actual reply to this is. I want to know. I offered a comment and tried to further the conversation. You only harped on me because you don't agree with what I said or how I said it. So please, reply to the OP with some helpful information.

We're listening.
Unfortunately your comments are rarely actually helpful. In fact, I'm 100% sure you have zero idea what you're talking about re automobiles in general. A quick review of your post history pretty directly identifies you as blatantly clueless and unable to get along with anyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Everyone please stick to the topic here and limit the back and forth. If you have nothing new or helpful to add here, move it on.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Unfortunately your comments are rarely actually helpful. In fact, I'm 100% sure you have zero idea what you're talking about re automobiles in general. A quick review of your post history pretty directly identifies you as blatantly clueless and unable to get along with anyone.

Fellas, you gotta learn to use the "ignore" feature. My quality of life improved dramatically the moment I blocked the board's #1 troll (and I'm sure virtually all of you know who I'm referring to). This cat you're referring to above joined him on my ignore list shortly afterwards.

adam1991

Banned

We're listening.

you mean, information anyone could find?

17.9 feet is the turning radius for the Golf family--GTI and R.

I don't know what this guy's comparing his new car to--maybe a motorcycle?--but these cars turn in a VERY small circle in my experience.

The Civic Type R, for example: 19.75 feet.
Mustang: anywhere from 18.25 to 18.9 feet.
WRX: 17.7 to 18 feet

He needs to quantify his "quibble" in this regard.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
He lives in NYC so turning radius is pretty important there. Not really sure it needs to be elaborated on more than that.

It's like someone in Arizona complaining the AC isn't strong enough and people in areas that aren't a furnace thinking the AC works just fine.

adam1991

Banned
I don't dispute that turning radius isn't important to him.

But my experience is that my GTI turns inside itself, practically. Hence my question: what is his reference point for a car that has a turning radius he *doesn't* quibble with, if in fact he quibbles with the Golf's turning radius?

Absent that bit of information, his comment has no meaning to the outside world.

adam1991

Banned
I don't dispute that turning radius isn't important to him.

But my experience is that my GTI turns inside itself, practically. Hence my question: what is his reference point for a car that has a turning radius he *doesn't* quibble with, if in fact he quibbles with the Golf's turning radius?

Absent that bit of information, his comment has no meaning to the outside world.

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
I've had APR Stage 2 on my 6MT MK7R and then JB4 on my MK7 DSG R ... and tbh, JB4 is a nice boost of 40-50HP, but the biggest selling point of the JB4 unit is that it can be used to push more power and it can log and switch maps on the fly with the bluetooth module.

If you're after a small bump, JB4 is a no brainer .. and best part, fully removable and resellable. If you don't care about that, APR, Uni, UM, GIAC and a few others offer some options.

Turning radius related ... once you get used to it, you'll be fine! Congrats on the purchase OP!