GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing belt gtd

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi. Next July my 2014 gtd will be due a timing belt as the car will be 5 years old. The car should have no more than 37k miles on it by then so would it really need done? What are you guys thoughts on this? I plan on keeping the car for another 7 years so if I changed the belt at 6 years and 45k miles it would mean I would only need 1 belt change in my ownership.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Belts can deteriorate with age, irrespective of the mileage covered. If the replacement is scheduled to be done at 5 years, I’d get it changed; better to be proactive than reactive IMO. On previous VW’s I’ve owned with a cam belt, rather than a timing chain, I’ve always had the belt changed at 4 or 5 years (whatever the change interval was for the car in question), even though I only cover 8,000 miles or less per year.

It’ll be cheaper to replace the cam belt than to suffer the consequences of a damaged engine if the belt were to snap. I’d also consider getting the water pump changed at the same time.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi. Next July my 2014 gtd will be due a timing belt as the car will be 5 years old. The car should have no more than 37k miles on it by then so would it really need done? What are you guys thoughts on this? I plan on keeping the car for another 7 years so if I changed the belt at 6 years and 45k miles it would mean I would only need 1 belt change in my ownership.

Change it.

I'm in the same position, and I wouldn't think twice about changing it; the last thing you want is the belt to snap and you need a new motor.

pcr

Ready to race!
What is the bigger risk, letting an unknown mechanic change the belt on a low mileage car, or taking a chance and not change it. Remember, this car was advertised as having a long-life timing belt that will last as long as the car.

I use a non-VW mechanic who inspects the belt at each service who says the belts are good for 10 years.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
What is the bigger risk, letting an unknown mechanic change the belt on a low mileage car, or taking a chance and not change it. Remember, this car was advertised as having a long-life timing belt that will last as long as the car.

I use a non-VW mechanic who inspects the belt at each service who says the belts are good for 10 years.

VW say it should be changed every 5 years or so many miles (100k springs to mind, but a cursory glance online says it may be more).

Rubber deteriorates over time, not just use.

pcr

Ready to race!
It's VW UK saying 5 years, I have heard that in German VW manuals the mileage is much greater with no time limit, I am very sceptical about the whole situation. They told me it's advisable to change the water pump at the same time, but I believe it's at the other end of the engine.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
It's VW UK saying 5 years, I have heard that in German VW manuals the mileage is much greater with no time limit, I am very sceptical about the whole situation. They told me it's advisable to change the water pump at the same time, but I believe it's at the other end of the engine.

At the end of the day, if you have a belt snap and you haven't changed it in line with their recommendations, you have absolutely no chance of any goodwill.

A belt every 5 years is a small sum compared to the cost of an engine replacement.

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah guys I will get it changed when it's due. I just wanted to know other people's thoughts so thanks. It now means I will be getting a mk8 in 6 years time from now. I'm hoping to get a gti at least but preferably an R.

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
So my cambelt and water pump change is due next month. What are you guys paying for this? Vw fixed price is £550.

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I got prices for this today for my gtd. So parts only timing belt kit, waterpump, and aux belt £298.42 then there's coolant that I didn't get a price for but probably £15. Parts plus fitting at vw including the aux belt is £572.58 and my local independent using the same vw parts is £564. I will go with my local as I have used them for 18 years and have had 3 belt changes on other cars done there.