GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is the Golf Gti/R called an econobox?

cb1111

Man now I feel like I totally missed the point of that one dudes post. Since we are on a roll, wanna see if we can fill a whole page, just you and me CB?

Also I don't know if you are into short-wave.... or long-wave.... I MEAN CB RADIO. I am not, never have done it, but if I ever do, and I call out CB1111 you better answer. Even if your user name has nothing to do with CB radio, and you don't have one. I'll be waiting!!!!

Edit: I got a good on topic post for my next one, post quickly man!!!! 7 more posts after this and we should hit a new page! Stop responding to my PM dammit!
You mean like this?

cb1111

Econobox

DAF

Robin Reliant

cb1111

Econobox

DAF

Robin Reliant
The DAF was one of the first (almost) mass market cars with a CVT - basically a big rubber band.

The Robin was a car that tipped over pretty easily.

The Trabant was a complete piece of crap. Safety features included a steering wheel with solid column, seats placed so that your knees were at least two inches away from the sharp instrument panel and it actually had brake lights that may - or may not - work.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Fuck I missed the train!, not only that but forgot my train of thought..... um lets see. Golf... GTI.... Econobox.... um..... gaaaaahhhhh I lose the internet for now. I would love a reliant robin though, made for miners who didn't have a proper drivers license and just had a motorcycle one. Not only was that one of the best moments on Top Gear, but also super informative.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH we made it, good job man.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I love it when guys at work jokingly say my car is an econobox, makes it that much more satisfying to gap their muscle cars (other than the variety of c6 z06 vette, they can poke fun all they want I’ve got nothing for me lol)

cb1111

Fuck I missed the train!, not only that but forgot my train of thought..... um lets see. Golf... GTI.... Econobox.... um..... gaaaaahhhhh I lose the internet for now. I would love a reliant robin though, made for miners who didn't have a proper drivers license and just had a motorcycle one. Not only was that one of the best moments on Top Gear, but also super informative.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH we made it, good job man.
Where's the damn "thumbs up" emoji? :)

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
A couple of my friends (one with a 2009 Fusion and one with a 2009 335i) refer to my car as "what a rich high-schooler drives."

Personally, I piss on the opinions of most everyone else anyway. I wanted a hot hatch, while everyone around me seems to be dreaming of a new SUV/crossover. Like, how boring is your life when the idea of owning a Chevy Traverse makes you excited?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
A couple of my friends (one with a 2009 Fusion and one with a 2009 335i) refer to my car as "what a rich high-schooler drives."

Personally, I piss on the opinions of most everyone else anyway. I wanted a hot hatch, while everyone around me seems to be dreaming of a new SUV/crossover. Like, how boring is your life when the idea of owning a Chevy Traverse makes you excited?

A rich high schooler in my area drives an M or AMG, the richest will be in a McLaren or similar car. BMW stands for Basic Marin Wheels (Marin being the county I live in).

Edit: SHIIIIIIIIT hit post instead of cancel after copying and pasting. Fuck-a-you double post! I ran with a Ferrari yesterday, he was too pussy to out run me (which he clearly could). That being said the Porsche and Maserati drivers aren't much better.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
NCAP celebrating 20yrs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwGgRUkrnng

The old BL/Austin Metro, which then became the Rover 100...a true econobox over here & dangerous at that....compared to a modern econobox over here...Honda Jazz...

It all depends on your countries point of view...as was said before when European cars/hatch went over there it was because of good fuel economy...& they were smaller/boxy cars compared to the big lumbering barges you had...

You have loads of land, to make big long wide roads...we don't ...so our cars are smaller to cope with that for starters & then the cost of fuel over here is way expensive compared to you...so you can make big land yachts....we can't....Still the same now comparing European hatch's to the massive lumbering barges you still make...& yes you have got better at making sports cars, but you still import German/Italian & British sports car like mad as they are still the best...

So Yes the Golf even a GTI/R is an "econobox" in USA when comparing to the other USA made stuff......but it misses the points of "size isn't everything"...& "quality not quantity"...just makes it more fun when you waste the big cars on the road...."my 500cubic inch V8 was wasted by a poky econobox WTF??"....

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I think a base golf is pretty much a nicely optioned econobox. Lumping a GTI into that doesn't fit due to the bigger engine, turbo, and other performance features. Would make less sense calling a $40K R with almoat 300hp from the factory the same as a golf lol they just all look really similar.

As mentioned, the focus RS shares the same body as the econobox base focus but is in a whole different class competing against higher end cars than a focus should. Same concept except VW is more conservative on the styling.

I think it comes down to the car's intended purpose more so than how nice the interior is for the price. A GTI and R are marketed as performance hot hatches. A golf is marketed as a well equipped good value economy commuter. While we all know its much better than some POS yaris or [insert economy crapbox], the regular golf is undoubtedly an econobox at it's core.

Better question is who the hell cares? A guy with a well optioned GTI or R could squeeze into an entry level mercedes or BMW for more show than go. I could care less of what people think of my lowly GTI, I bought it for myself to enjoy driving and looking at. I love the idea of some of the older air cooled porsches not because they've skyrocketed to collector car status or because I dream of flashing them around to show off but just because I think they're...cool. Like my GTI, I would would one of those for the feeling it gives me driving or looking at whether people think it's an expensive toy or some old piece of shit (unfortunately the former).

If you own a golf, GTI, R, whatever, and love it, wipe your ass with the title people stick on it. Who cares if it makes you smile....