GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
We had a unique opportunity to directly compare one of our EQT Vortex turbos to a Tomioka ihx475 turbo. These results are from the same exact 2015 GTI with all the same mods except for the turbo upgrade. Both tunes were run at around 28psi. For supporting mods, this car has a catted downpipe, intake, and intercooler. All tuning was done on 91 Octane fuel.

Blue is the Tomioka turbo and red is our EQT Vortex turbo. As you can see, they spool nearly identically, but our turbo makes more torque and power from 3000RPM to redline. Peak gains are about 34whp and 44ft-lbs and at certain parts of the powerband, we can see gains of nearly 50whp and 50ft-lbs.

Thanks
-- Ed

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Yeaaaaah buddy. Were the tunes modified much between the two? I'm assuming you tuned both as well. That is a solid hardware only gain if so.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Yeaaaaah buddy. Were the tunes modified much between the two? I'm assuming you tuned both as well. That is a solid hardware only gain if so.

The tune was modified a bit, but mainly to get boost under tight control. I did tune both of course.

-- Ed

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
We had a unique opportunity to directly compare one of our EQT Vortex turbos to a Tomioka ihx475 turbo. These results are from the same exact 2015 GTI with all the same mods except for the turbo upgrade. Both tunes were run at around 28psi. For supporting mods, this car has a catted downpipe, intake, and intercooler. All tuning was done on 91 Octane fuel.

Blue is the Tomioka turbo and red is our EQT Vortex turbo. As you can see, they spool nearly identically, but our turbo makes more torque and power from 3000RPM to redline. Peak gains are about 34whp and 44ft-lbs and at certain parts of the powerband, we can see gains of nearly 50whp and 50ft-lbs.

Thanks
-- Ed

Did you record any street data? Dynos have a way of loading the engine such that the build up of boost is different than under normal conditions.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Did you record any street data? Dynos have a way of loading the engine such that the build up of boost is different than under normal conditions.

I usually see spool a little faster on the road. But I run the dyno in inertia mode for all power pulls to keep things nice and consistent.

— Ed

MadMen

Ready to race!
Wasn't there an is38 pull on this car also? Thought I saw a graph with all 3 somewhere. That would give a good baseline since this dyno looks to be reading high. But seeing the delta from a 38 would give it more perspective. Impressive on pump gas nevertheless...

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I usually see spool a little faster on the road. But I run the dyno in inertia mode for all power pulls to keep things nice and consistent.

— Ed

Did you log the boost curve of each turbo on the street to be able to show how they compare? I'm curious to know if the response is the same under driving conditions.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Wasn't there an is38 pull on this car also? Thought I saw a graph with all 3 somewhere. That would give a good baseline since this dyno looks to be reading high. But seeing the delta from a 38 would give it more perspective. Impressive on pump gas nevertheless...

The dyno above (IHX vs EQT) is on a GTI. Earlier in the thread is a dyno with my R showing IS38 vs EQT.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Do you tune with Maestro?

No sorry. I only offer tuning via Cobb. But for Maestro, I would refer you to Frank Mabo. He does great work with that platform.

Thanks
— Ed

teemmy

Ready to race!
Here’s a comparison with the is38, tomioka and EQT - the EQT tune was not finalized so the numbers are lower, but it will give you a general idea between the 3

blue is is38
red is tomioka
magenta is EQT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaveup1

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've been on and off about keeping this car lately, but looking at this turbo and some others, I am starting to think if I keep it I will want to do a turbo like this.

Once the turbo is ordered, what else is needed for it to be installed in the car? Currently running ED stage 2 tune (will go maestro with new turbo), catted DP, unitronic FMIC and a K&N typhoon intake. What else will I need to make this work?

I don't have crazy goals, if I can trap 120 with full weight I will be more than happy.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So I've been on and off about keeping this car lately, but looking at this turbo and some others, I am starting to think if I keep it I will want to do a turbo like this.

Once the turbo is ordered, what else is needed for it to be installed in the car? Currently running ED stage 2 tune (will go maestro with new turbo), catted DP, unitronic FMIC and a K&N typhoon intake. What else will I need to make this work?

I don't have crazy goals, if I can trap 120 with full weight I will be more than happy.

Tune and turbo if you're already stage 2, though you might want/need fueling upgrades to easily nail 120mph trap speeds.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

The Golf R's tend to need an upgraded HPFP with this turbo. Otherwise all you'll need is a tune.

-- Ed

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Quick update, I'll be installing the Walbro 450 LPFP soon and Ed will get a proper E30 / E85 tune done.