GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
It's a real shame that in 2018 companies selling parts primarily online don't maintain a basic website and rely on word of mouth or reposted Facebook or Instagram posts. So strange.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
I hear ya man. He is a busy man I guess. Sounds like he needs to add another employee if he's doing so well?
Let's respect Ed and Ed's thread. I don't think he would like people talking bad about another vendor/business in it.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Also curious how this thing feels for daily driving? How laggy is it compared to an IS38?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I hear ya man. He is a busy man I guess. Sounds like he needs to add another employee if he's doing so well?
Let's respect Ed and Ed's thread. I don't think he would like people talking bad about another vendor/business in it.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Not sure I can support a business that's too busy to provide accurate pricing on an updated website. To that point, thats a plus to EQT.

PS This isn't Ed's thread. OP is a customer posting information about this turbo, and Ed popped in. Discussion of other option's pluses or minuses have been really civil so far, and if anything benefited EQT. No reason to call the forum police folks.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Also curious how this thing feels for daily driving? How laggy is it compared to an IS38?

I've heard the Tomioka Is just a tab bit laggier than as IS38, other have said it spools a tad bit quicker. EQT and Tomioka are pretty similar besides the EQT having a bigger compressor wheel. I think its gonna be up to the tuner at this point. shouldn't be bad at all. I think it can achieve full boost by 3500-3600. If so thats' perfect.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
My main issue with the CTS options is the lag. Their turbos just come on very late for the power levels they make.

-- Ed

Makes no sense considering the 0.63AR they note on the page. If anything that housing should limit top end and spool great, especially on a GTX28/500. Graphs look like a bad ATP log manifold, but it's actually on a integrated manifold engine, does not compute.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Makes no sense considering the 0.63AR they note on the page. If anything that housing should limit top end and spool great, especially on a GTX28/500. Graphs look like a bad ATP log manifold, but it's actually on a integrated manifold engine, does not compute.

IMO it's their exhaust housing. It looks like a damn box, they rushed the release and did not focus on making it flow very well.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Just got done reading the latest discussion. No worries at all from my end. I always welcome civil discussions like these... just keep it adult and respectful as you have been :)

As far as how drivable our turbo is...

I won't pretend it spools faster or quite as fast as an IS38 as I don't like to spread false hype. The full boost threshold on our turbo is around 200-300 RPM later than an IS38. The difference in transient response is noticeable under about 4000RPM where the IS38 is a bit more snappy and our turbo spools a bit more linearly/smoothly. Above 4000RPM, transient response is very similar to the IS38 and I'd imagine most people wouldn't be able to tell much difference. The big difference of course, is that our turbo makes more power overall and keeps pulling hard to redline.

I think I already posted this, but here's a log of a 4th gear pull with our turbo (DSG Mk7R). This is an on-road pull in ~75F weather running E30. Dyno pulls will generally show slower spool.

Please note all of this definitely depends on proper tuning as well.

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited:

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

I agree it doesn't make much sense for the size of the turbos and that's my issue with it. I haven't inspected their turbos personally so I can't say why the lag is there, but its definitely there. My only thought would be housing/wheel clearances which would come down to machining.

-- Ed

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I agree it doesn't make much sense for the size of the turbos and that's my issue with it. I haven't inspected their turbos personally so I can't say why the lag is there, but its definitely there. My only thought would be housing/wheel clearances which would come down to machining.

-- Ed

Not slinging mud, but there will be a quiet V3 release to fix that issue next year :D (insert sarcasm here)

How are you tuning BTW? Cobb AP? Have you spoken to UM or any other tuners? I'm sure I can get a tune created from UM if I ask with my wallet nicely, but having them on board would be sweet as well.

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Not slinging mud, but there will be a quiet V3 release to fix that issue next year :D

How are you tuning BTW? Cobb AP? Have you spoken to UM or any other tuners? I'm sure I can get a tune created from UM if I ask with my wallet nicely, but having them on board would be sweet as well.

Will there now?