GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OZ Hyper GT HLT Hub Centric Rings

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a set of OZ Hyper GT HLT 18x7.5 wheels. Only after I received the acknowledgement did I notice that it included hub centric rings. These are new to me, had a BMW before with a winter set and never had them. I've now been researching this topic for a while and have a few questions.

From my research it seems like the OZ wheels are 75mm and VW is 57.1mm. I found a few older threads on here (and VW vortex) stating that they needed a special type of hub centric ring sent from Tire Rack and not their generic plastic ones. Unfortunately, the part numbers they were mentioning were for a small diameter (I think 72.5mm to 57.1mm). I contacted Tire Rack and they said the part number was EFS75/57 but didn't know what material it was made from, but could guarantee that there would be no issues.

I haven't been able to find any more recent threads about OZ wheels, but has anyone recently bought some from Tire Rack? Was the hub centric ring good? No vibrations? Or did you end up having to buy from somewhere else, and if so, could you provide a link?

The wheels are special order since they don't have any in stock, so they should be here in 6-8 weeks. Just wanted to make sure I have everything ready for when they arrive. I'm almost tempted to cancel the order and just get a set of stock wheels (Nogaros) to avoid any issues.

Thanks!

vw671

Autocross Newbie
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1-8T-quattro?p=7407810&viewfull=1#post7407810

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Nothing wrong with hub rings. There are cases for both metal and plastic rings as to which one is better or not but IMO plastic is the way to go as long as you are not tracking the car.
The metal rings have a tendancy to fuse themselves to the hub making it very difficult to get off.
Plastic can melt if you get the brakes/hubs hot enough. But they are easier to get off when you need to get them off.

Just figure out exactly what the hub bore size of the wheels in and then get that size ring (VW hub size is definitely 57.1 and I trust TR will send you the correct rings).

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
Nothing wrong with hub rings. There are cases for both metal and plastic rings as to which one is better or not but IMO plastic is the way to go as long as you are not tracking the car.
The metal rings have a tendancy to fuse themselves to the hub making it very difficult to get off.
Plastic can melt if you get the brakes/hubs hot enough. But they are easier to get off when you need to get them off.

Just figure out exactly what the hub bore size of the wheels in and then get that size ring (VW hub size is definitely 57.1 and I trust TR will send you the correct rings).

Thanks! Yeah I plan on using the car for AutoX with these wheels, hopefully things won't heat up enough from 1 minute runs to cause them to fuse. I'll just be sure to apply some grease between swapping to my winter set twice a year.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Well you don't need to worry about heat with the metal ones.
It is just the elements that you need to think about.
Mainly water and the such...

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
Well you don't need to worry about heat with the metal ones.
It is just the elements that you need to think about.
Mainly water and the such...

Since this set won't be used in winter I should be able to avoid salt. What would you recommend to put on these? I read in another thread someone mentioned lithium grease while most other people said anti-seize lubricant.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Probably would be good with either/or.
However I have only used plastic so I can't give you any good advise on the subject.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I use plastic hub rings during track days all the time and they've never melted. Unless you're doing an endurance race I wouldn't worry about them for Auto-X.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
You will need to apply anti-seize to the rings where they meet the hub or they will seize to hubs. Since I started using anti-seize, I haven't had an issue.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I had vibration with plastic rings at around 80mph. Had balance checked. It was ok. Changed to aluminum rings vibration went away. Just saying.

It depends on the thickness of the rings though, not the material....they need to be thicker/taller so they clear the taper on the hub

These are too thin, for example;

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
It depends on the thickness of the rings though, not the material....they need to be thicker/taller so they clear the taper on the hub

These are too thin, for example;
I bought wheels and tires from T-R . Very happy with everything. Except the vibration.I remounted the wheels, had the alignment checked. Put my original Austin's back on no vibebration. So I just lived with it. Then a post on here said TR had special rings for vw hubs, but when I talked to them they'd never heard of any. So I bought some on e-bay and lived happy ever after.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk