GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best aftermarket bulb options for GTI S halogen housings

spiiitfire

Car(s)
17 Midnight Blue GTI
I'm sure that I'm not the first to hate the halogen bulbs that come with the GTI S. I am looking for the best options out there for aftermarket replacements on both sets of bulbs. I'm looking for something that produces clean white light (none of that super blue stuff) and is reasonably priced to get the job done!
I have a '17 GTI S 4dr in Midnight Blue in case anyone was curious.

Ehlectric

Passed Driver's Ed
I just put in the Philips X-Treme Vision +130% for the low beam. Definitely a whole heck of a lot better than stock just not as white as I think you'd like.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
i recommend the phillips xtreme +130 bulbs or the osram nightbreakers both in 55w h7 variety.

i've heard you can also track down 65w osram nightbreaker h7 and those are quite good from the mk5 and mk6 days.

If you have access to a vcds, i would also recommend bumping the brightness values to their full output to get full strength out of any new bulbs. Stock settings at 100 (instead of max 127) tend to promote long-lasting bulb life but at the expense of being weak for lighting power.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
drls are tough because they're dual filament for your brights as well. I left those stock, but i've seen a few folks do the nokya hyper yellow h15s as an accent. Nokya also makes a cool blue that'll give you a more white color than stock h15s.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I've used the Philips Diamond Vision in the past with good results. Nothing like HID's but they are whiter in color than the OEM halogen bulbs.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Halogens will only take you so far as they are not going to give you the clean xenon look and they won't last as long, they actually have a lower lifespan than a regular halogen because they are overclocking a halogen to make it brighter, the box will say that it is half the lifespan of a regular halogen bulb.

We sell xenon and LED bulbs that will actually be a lot brightest bulbs than your halogens and will give you more of a projector look and feel you can check out our H7RC HID kit:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gt...kit-full-set-including-adapters-and-resistors

Or our H15 LED High beams/DRLs - these are very bright as high beams if you need this and very clean white DRL:
http://deautokey.com/product/h15-da...00-plug-play-fits-many-volkswagen-audi-models

many forum members are running these so people who actually HAVE our product can chime in with their feedback and results hopefully.

Thank you

Last edited:

MKJIVE1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the deautoled xenons in my halogen headlights. They're amazingly bright and don't blind other drivers like normal HID's do when fitted into halogen housings. I went with the 6k and it matches the fogs pretty well.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have the deautoled xenons in my halogen headlights. They're amazingly bright and don't blind other drivers like normal HID's do when fitted into halogen housings. I went with the 6k and it matches the fogs pretty well.

Yes, they most definitely DO blind other drivers. Let someone else drive your car, then be the "other" driver coming the other direction, and get back to us.

Putting xenons into halogen housings is universally recognized as a BAD idea, except for by Mr. DeAuto, who has a vested financial interest to sell you this dangerous crap.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Thank you :) Real honest customer feedback is always appreciated and why these H7RC kits are so popular.

Without these reviews we'd be grouped under the full size H7 HID which we always say you should NOT install in a reflector.

Here is some more honest customer reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYDXb3D6v8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryPd0DgKfQ

Nsknick

Ready to race!
I'm going to go with the Morimoto h7 LED kit, I'll update once I have it installed. The main things I'll be looking out for: Noise of the fans, Flickering, if any moisture is allowed into the headlights, and light output. I'm willing to put out the money, hoping that I get what I pay for. I've heard nothing but praise in regards to Morimoto products, so we will see.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I'm going to go with the Morimoto h7 LED kit, I'll update once I have it installed. The main things I'll be looking out for: Noise of the fans, Flickering, if any moisture is allowed into the headlights, and light output. I'm willing to put out the money, hoping that I get what I pay for. I've heard nothing but praise in regards to Morimoto products, so we will see.

LEDs in a reflector is not a good idea, we don't recommend it for a few reasons:
-there is no way to get power to the bulb
-it requires a bulb adapter custom to the MK7 VW to get the bulb to sit correctly n the housing (we include a no-tap adapter in our H7RC kit so it is an easy install.)
-can cause blinding glare (varies from models)
-not as bright as a HID
-it reflects light in a scattered pattern

It is fine if you want to try this but we want to let you know if the issues you will normally see - this is from what we have tested with LEDs in a reflector housing.

Nsknick

Ready to race!
LEDs in a reflector is not a good idea, we don't recommend it for a few reasons:
-there is no way to get power to the bulb
-it requires a bulb adapter custom to the MK7 VW to get the bulb to sit correctly n the housing (we include a no-tap adapter in our H7RC kit so it is an easy install.)
-can cause blinding glare (varies from models)
-not as bright as a HID
-it reflects light in a scattered pattern

It is fine if you want to try this but we want to let you know if the issues you will normally see - this is from what we have tested with LEDs in a reflector housing.

It's going in a Halogen model. I prefer LED to HID. Morimoto comes with two adapters I believe. I appreciate the information though.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
It's going in a Halogen model. I prefer LED to HID. Morimoto comes with two adapters I believe. I appreciate the information though.

Yes, halogen reflector is what we are referring to, the adapter is specific to a MK7 reflector housing and we never seen one that fits a LED or one on the morimoto site but keep us updated.

We agree that a LED is a good in some situations, fogs for example, but in a reflector (halogen) housing we never seen good results.

Last edited:

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
i recommend the phillips xtreme +130 bulbs or the osram nightbreakers both in 55w h7 variety.

i've heard you can also track down 65w osram nightbreaker h7 and those are quite good from the mk5 and mk6 days.

If you have access to a vcds, i would also recommend bumping the brightness values to their full output to get full strength out of any new bulbs. Stock settings at 100 (instead of max 127) tend to promote long-lasting bulb life but at the expense of being weak for lighting power.

Been wanting to switch out my horrible-can't-see-shit-at-night halogen bulbs (would just upgrade the whole thing, but keep hearing bad stuff happening with HID replacement kits). You don't happen to know the coding for VCDs on bumping brightness values do you. thanks