GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI w/ VWR springs: noise when turning, please help!

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I'm a bit frustrated with a noise I hear in my GTI when turning at very low speeds and stationary. The noise is exactly this one (not my video). You might need headphones to notice it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP14Io89AJ4

Background: My GTI with Performance Pack has now 40.000 km on the clock. I installed VWR springs when it had 14.000 km. FYI, I didn't replace the strut top mounts nor their bearings since the car had very low mileage. The car has been running flawlessly since then with no single noise. I really like the drop of the VWR springs.

This past January I started hearing a noise when turning the steering wheel when stationary and I soon realized it could even be heard at very low speeds. The noise is not very loud and most of people don't notice it but it is really getting on my nerves. The noise is not so loud in the mornings and it's definetly louder when my car has been parked for 1 or 2 hours.

Very important: the noise can't be heard while driving faster than 15 km/h, there is no popping sound or crack noise while turning hard or driving fast. There is simply no other noise that I can hear in any other situation.

First fix attempt I had my GTI inspeced by my mechanic (not official VW dealer) and I was told that the noise could be caused by the strut bearings. It really made sense to me since I didn't replace them when I installed de VWR springs. I ordered a set of bearings + top mounts. Result: FAIL, the noise was still there.

Second fix attempt We ordered new bearings (warranty) as my mechanic was still suspecting of defective bearings. As I'm a bit maniac and I read in some forums that the noise could be caused by the springs, I also ordered NEW ones. So this time I had a second set of bearings + new springs. Result: FAIL, the noise is still there.

What I've already tried: greased the bearings, removed the strut bars with no luck, checked the brake system, shafts...

My thoughts: I'm a simple car enthusiast with very low technical knowledge but I do think that the root cause is not the springs, nor the bearings, nor the installation (top mounts are pointing to the engine with the arrows pointing front and back of the car). The proof of this is I drove my GTI for 26.000 km with no issues. In addition, I've seen many videos from people having bad bearings and the noise is louder and like a "clonk clonk".. Mine can't barely be heard with music at low volume...

I've already read hundreds of forums and threads about suspension noises, springs, bearings, link bars, steering racks, etc. with no clue. The noise I hear seems a bit different to the one most people have.

The most interesting think is that the noise changes with ambient temperature or if the car has been parked for 1 or 2 hours. The engine bay temperature seems to affect negatively.

Any suggestions? Am I too fussy? Should I forget about the noise and continue enjoying my GTI?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have the same issue, 16 PP, and am not sure what it is. It almost sounds as though the springs are binding. Only consistency here is the VWR springs?

millhouse1

Did you trim the bump stops? Had a similar issue that was present on two different brands of springs (neuspeed and ED) with my sportwagen. It went away after getting them trimmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Improper installation. Could be a number of things, most likely the nut that holds the strut in the mount/bearing isn't torqued. And no, a impact gun doesn't count as torquing it idc what DAP or other flat rate mechanics tell you

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Improper installation. Could be a number of things, most likely the nut that holds the strut in the mount/bearing isn't torqued. And no, a impact gun doesn't count as torquing it idc what DAP or other flat rate mechanics tell you

Certainly hope this is not the case, Black Forest Industries installed my springs. Guess I am going to have to give them a call.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have VWR springs on my personal car, and have installed various brands of springs and coilovers on dozens of mk1-7. If everything is torqued and seated properly (and the mounts/bearings are in good condition) there's no way anything should bind or clunk/pop. If you have a similar noise that's the most common cause

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You can try but it's most likely installed with the spring not seated properly in the upper mount and tight/on a bind. Thus allowing it to pop and shift around. With weight off the car (up on jack stands) if you can get the spring to move at all at its no beuno

To properly install the mount (off the car) you need to lightly compress the spring so the mount is bottomed out on the shaft, then while holding it there run the nut down and torque to spec.

Many goof this up by thinking the impact will pull the mount down as they zing it on which leaves two critical things to chance. That A: The mount will seat flat on the machined ledge of the strut shaft, not cocked. And B: That the torque will be applied between said ledge, the mount/bearing, and the nut before the shaft just spins (also terrible for the seals inside the strut and the bearing, which normal would only spin very slow, not 6,000 RPM like the impact)

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Do you think it's that easy of a fix?

We can try it? Should only take like 5 mins. I'll should be in Raleigh next Saturday getting a haircut on Capital and we could try it in the parking lot.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
We can try it? Should only take like 5 mins. I'll should be in Raleigh next Saturday getting a haircut on Capital and we could try it in the parking lot.

I will call Black Forest Industries to have them look at it Wed and let you know. I certainly appreciate the offer and will be in touch.

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you trim the bump stops? Had a similar issue that was present on two different brands of springs (neuspeed and ED) with my sportwagen. It went away after getting them trimmed.

Sorry I don't see yout point. What do you mean by trimming the bump stops?

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed

Ok it may be installation issue.. but I can't explain myself why the noise didn't appear during the first 26.000km with the springs fitted by the same mechanic. I will ask for the installation details again

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My next suggestion would be make sure it is infact the struts making the noise. Subframe shifting also causes similar sounds during low speed, sharp turns.

Could also be swaybar end links.

Without being there with the car it's kinda shooting in the dark, but all of my suggestions are issues I've found and resolved on cars myself personally