GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BC Coilovers blown front shock??

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all. I've had BC coilovers on my mk7 GTI for about 100 miles now. Have yet to get an alignment. One thing is bothering me about a harsh clunk coming from the right front suspension when taking hard corners or hitting a sharp dip/bump. It almost feels like the suspension is bottoming out too easily on that side.

A little info on my setup. I have an inch until full low on the fronts. Standard 6k/7k BC spring rates.

I adjusted my preload when I received the coilovers, and when I noticed the noise I uninstalled the fronts and redid this again. So that shouldn't be the issue. Also, I made sure the top bolt is snug, so I don't that anything is slipping there either. All other bolts (sway bar links and what not) are snug.

I'm worried that maybe they sent me a bum shock? There's no oil coming out of the seals or anything, but I know this doesn't necessarily mean it can't be blown.

When I get it aligned tomorrow I'm going to ask the shop their opinion. But any ideas from you guys on here?

I'm also planning to upgrade to swift springs soon.. I just feel like the BC springs don't quite cut it as far as quality and peace of mind go. Ride isn't bad on smooth roads, but any bumps and they're pretty harsh. I know I know, I signed up for this when I went with BCs. Also just moved to Iowa.. lowered car and gravel roads yayyy.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mqbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Bc springs sucks big time, your springs might be binding.

Hey all. I've had BC coilovers on my mk7 GTI for about 100 miles now. Have yet to get an alignment. One thing is bothering me about a harsh clunk coming from the right front suspension when taking hard corners or hitting a sharp dip/bump. It almost feels like the suspension is bottoming out too easily on that side.

A little info on my setup. I have an inch until full low on the fronts. Standard 6k/7k BC spring rates.

I adjusted my preload when I received the coilovers, and when I noticed the noise I uninstalled the fronts and redid this again. So that shouldn't be the issue. Also, I made sure the top bolt is snug, so I don't that anything is slipping there either. All other bolts (sway bar links and what not) are snug.

I'm worried that maybe they sent me a bum shock? There's no oil coming out of the seals or anything, but I know this doesn't necessarily mean it can't be blown.

When I get it aligned tomorrow I'm going to ask the shop their opinion. But any ideas from you guys on here?

I'm also planning to upgrade to swift springs soon.. I just feel like the BC springs don't quite cut it as far as quality and peace of mind go. Ride isn't bad on smooth roads, but any bumps and they're pretty harsh. I know I know, I signed up for this when I went with BCs. Also just moved to Iowa.. lowered car and gravel roads yayyy.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

mqbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Might wanna get rubber sleeves or stiffer spring setup. I suggest you do go with swift but seems like its a waste on bc coilovers... and i know there is clunking problem for bc coils on most cars, its not a good performance coil. They get you extremely low but thats about it

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thing is I'm not really THAT low. I'll include a pic. I'm not trying to be slammed to the ground.

I'm not against buying swift springs. Just hoping that solves my issue.

Wrr1020

Ready to race!
I honestly think it doesn't have much to do with the coilovers. I got these same exact symptoms when i had VWR lowering springs installed. I still get it sometimes with ST XTA coils as well.

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmm I went from VWR springs to this. This is more than just a noise. It feels like the shock isn't providing resistance to the road well enough. Taking hard right turns feels really good. Taking hard lefts it feels like the nose dives and I hit bottom right away.

Wrr1020

Ready to race!
Hmmm I went from VWR springs to this. This is more than just a noise. It feels like the shock isn't providing resistance to the road well enough. Taking hard right turns feels really good. Taking hard lefts it feels like the nose dives and I hit bottom right away.

Mine wasn't so much turns. If i hit uneven road surfaces and things like expansion joints while on the highway i would sometimes get it. It is definitely more than a noise, it sounds like an impact. I made a post about it in the past but didn't get anything to help me. Sounds like a strut is bottoming out basically.

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine wasn't so much turns. If i hit uneven road surfaces and things like expansion joints while on the highway i would sometimes get it. It is definitely more than a noise, it sounds like an impact. I made a post about it in the past but didn't get anything to help me. Sounds like a strut is bottoming out basically.

Exactly, something is hitting something else. For example, was just driving back from the gym and took a turn a left turn at about 15 mph, driving pretty casually. There was the smallest of bumps that my right front nailed in the middle of this turn, and clunk it went. It just doesn't feel solid and tight and confidence inspiring you know? I'm just frustrated because I've checked and double checked things, kinda discouraging. VWR springs were a very "set it and forget it" modification after an alignment. More variables at play here.

And Wastegate I'm not sure if it's hitting the axle.. when they have it in for an alignment tomorrow I'll ask them if they think that's going on, or if they can find anything else wrong.

I'm kind of thinking my next move is a set of Swift springs. Maybe 8k front 9k rear. I read some reviews of BCs with Swift springs and people say it's well worth the upgrade. If I have to live with the BCs for awhile and upgrade later, so be it. I'd rather get some springs first and try to make it work.

Wrr1020

Ready to race!
Exactly, something is hitting something else. For example, was just driving back from the gym and took a turn a left turn at about 15 mph, driving pretty casually. There was the smallest of bumps that my right front nailed in the middle of this turn, and clunk it went. It just doesn't feel solid and tight and confidence inspiring you know? I'm just frustrated because I've checked and double checked things, kinda discouraging. VWR springs were a very "set it and forget it" modification after an alignment. More variables at play here.

And Wastegate I'm not sure if it's hitting the axle.. when they have it in for an alignment tomorrow I'll ask them if they think that's going on, or if they can find anything else wrong.

I'm kind of thinking my next move is a set of Swift springs. Maybe 8k front 9k rear. I read some reviews of BCs with Swift springs and people say it's well worth the upgrade. If I have to live with the BCs for awhile and upgrade later, so be it. I'd rather get some springs first and try to make it work.

Yeah i don't push the car very hard sometimes simply because i know this problem exists. Sounds like something is going to break sometimes. A friend and i went for a canyon drive and didn't have the greatest road surface. Imperfectons here and there. I hit some pretty bad areas and it felt like a strut was going to fly through the hood. If you ever find a remedy for this shoot me a PM, i'll do the same for you if i ever figure it out.

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I feel the same way.. I don't want to push the car until I figure things out because something just doesn't feel right. I don't ever plan on tracking it, but I bought this car to have fun with when the road allows.

And yeah I'll definitely let you know if I solve the issue. Thanks for the replies!

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I had 3 sets of BCs over two cars and never experienced any issues. You're pretty low in the front and what you're describing sounds like axle slap to me. I cut out my pinch weld and still experience it every once in a while. A quick look at the axle will tell you if it's touching or not.

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I had 3 sets of BCs over two cars and never experienced any issues. You're pretty low in the front and what you're describing sounds like axle slap to me. I cut out my pinch weld and still experience it every once in a while. A quick look at the axle will tell you if it's touching or not.

I think you're exactly right. When I checked the front axle on the right I could see a mark where the pinch weld had been colliding with the axle. And I raised the front maybe half a centimeter, got an alignment, and have put another few hundred miles on them this week on the highway.

You know what? It actually rides pretty decent after the alignment and letting the springs settle. Definitely have to pay attention to the road with less clearance and travel. But she cruises pretty well. Might still go for the swift springs this summer, but this will definitely do for now.

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Whats your front fender to hub measurement? I haven't experienced this, but I would like to avoid issues when I go a bit lower.

I'll check for you when I get a chance. All I remember now is fronts have about 36mm left until full low. Rears are full low.

Honestly where it sits, I love the way it looks and I've been driving it around town and on a couple longer highway trips without issue.
I live in Ames, Iowa right now and roads are pretty typical Midwest.

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like you got it pretty much situated, so that's good. I went from 8kg BC springs to 10kg BC springs and the first thing I noticed is that they have 1 less coil, so basically a slightly larger gap between each coil which would reduce/eliminate binding.

I was having binding issues with the 8kg springs, and going to 10kg made a huge difference. I don't think there's really a need to go to Swift springs unless you want 18kg or higher springs rates