GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had a real fix from a dealership on the rattling/creaking sunroof and/or the h

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
I think mine just started :(
Does it make a squeaky styrofoam sound? It's maddening.
I just ordered that Sil-glyde, worth a try.

Yep, that's it. I just got some Sil-Glyde too but haven't gotten around to applying it. Also the Zep stuff I posted above is garbage. Almost makes it worse. I think that's because it's kind of sticky when it dries.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
The only good thing about the rain today is that it stopped the squeaking....
My sil-glyde arrived today. I'm going to wait until it starts squeaking again to try it.

sparkyr

Passed Driver's Ed
I took a small dowel about 36" long and taped a wad of paper towel on the end. I put a liberal amount of silicone lube on it and reached all the way across under the open glass panel, lubing all surfaces that looked like they made contact with non-glass areas. I also lubed the tracks for the glass and shade. It really helped and now I rarely hear anything like the buzzy rattle I used to hear.

UPDATE: While the above helped, it did not fix my problem. I was still getting a plastic-like buzzy rattle around 3,000 rpm and above. Based on what others have said here, I added a layer of rubber shelf liner, the open weave type, over the plastic dust cover with the valley molded into it. Then after that didn't help, I added another layer of liner. It was better, but not fixed. I added a third layer which I wasn't sure the glass would close on it without reopening, but it stayed closed. That helped a lot, but still the rattle/buzz would come back at times. I left it like the for two days to give the layers time to settle in. The rattle/buzz was still there, but better.

This morning I took all three layers out leaving everything as stock. To my surprise, the rattle/buzz was still reduced to far less than I had in the beginning. I'm wondering if the pressure on the plastic dust cover from the rubber layers somehow pushed things down some reducing the noise. The next few days will show if this is going to last or not.

If the problem gets worse again, I may remove the sunroof to get to the plastic dust cover and remove it as suggested in another post. I really don't want to do this, but it looks like dealer fixes aren't working for most people here and I've done the silicone lube thing already.

angelsfanswa

Passed Driver's Ed
The only good thing about the rain today is that it stopped the squeaking....
My sil-glyde arrived today. I'm going to wait until it starts squeaking again to try it.

You in Colorado? Same thing happened for me ... still dropped off with the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I ended up sliding some felt over the plastic cover groove near the front of the plastic piece. I see a photo in a previous post of this area.
I secured the felt with some sticky-back felt in front and back; leaving enough slack for the groove to be compressed by the rubber piece coming down from the sunroof.

Seems to have stopped the creak/squeak symptom.
On my car, I think the main source of the noise was some of the rubber above coming into contact with the plastic piece groove area.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I ended up sliding some felt over the plastic cover groove near the front of the plastic piece. I see a photo in a previous post of this area.
I secured the felt with some sticky-back felt in front and back; leaving enough slack for the groove to be compressed by the rubber piece coming down from the sunroof.

Seems to have stopped the creak/squeak symptom.
On my car, I think the main source of the noise was some of the rubber above coming into contact with the plastic piece groove area.

Did your symptoms go away during wet weather like mine? I think there might be two separate issues in this post. Mine sounds like styrofoam rubbing together and stops when it rains, so I'm thinking it's not the plastic cover piece over the motor.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Did your symptoms go away during wet weather like mine? I think there might be two separate issues in this post. Mine sounds like styrofoam rubbing together and stops when it rains, so I'm thinking it's not the plastic cover piece over the motor.

Yes, my symptoms went away in wet and dry weather; so just the plastic cover piece on mine.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Mine was horrible today on my drive home from work. I applied the Sil-glyde to the rear seal of the sunroof and now my roof is completely silent....will it last? Who the f**k knows, but for today I have relief....

FYI, the Sil-glyde has the consistency of Vaseline, not what I was expecting.