GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
Are 4 door and 2 door sideskirts the same length? I've never actually lined up a 4 door and a 2 door to see if the wheelbases are different.
I'm curious on this as well. I would love to find it if I could just pull the skirts off a regular GTI.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
Are you sure they just don't want you to buy their knobs?

I have the BFI shift boot/knob, I'm not sure why it wouldn't fit other knobs. Don't they all require a threaded adapter that mounts to the shifter with set screws?

This guy made it work:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36721

thank you, just read all of it, I was basing it off of what BFI was stating. I got all the info I needed now.

joshdub

Passed Driver's Ed
For those with a mk7.5 gti with vaq, is your awd installed box checked under 09? Using VCDS today I noticed that mine was checked which I thought was odd.

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
So I got a bonus at work;

Best mods for ~$250? I'm trying not to waste my money on stuff that's not useless. Bang for my buck performance if possible.

Thinking OBD11, Turbo Inlet Pipe/Hose, drop in filter. Or skip the OBD11 and get a short throw.

Or a boost gauge (P3 or CJM mount w/ other gauge)

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

Best mods for ~$250? I'm trying not to waste my money on stuff that's not useless. Bang for my buck performance if possible.

Thinking OBD11, Turbo Inlet Pipe/Hose, drop in filter. Or skip the OBD11 and get a short throw.

Do you have any mods? If not go for the OBD11 and an AFE dry high flow air filter. That would be the best bang for your buck. No reason to have a boost gauge until you are tuned. A short-throw does nothing (for performance, unless you are strictly a drag racer) except wear the transmission syncro's much much faster.

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have any mods? If not go for the OBD11 and an AFE dry high flow air filter. That would be the best bang for your buck. No reason to have a boost gauge until you are tuned. A short-throw does nothing (for performance, unless you are strictly a drag racer) except wear the transmission syncro's much much faster.
No mods (only had the car a few weeks). Well no performance mods (counting BFI shifter as cosmetic).

The VWR springs are on sale over at ECS and it was tempting but I want to get off stock wheels/tires before I think of that.

Probably worth mentioning I have a TSI and not a GTI/R.

Apw36

I got a clutch stop for very cheap. I don't have the link, but it can be searched for on the forum. It just removes the dead space in the clutch travel.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

Listen to this guy. OBD11 provides hours of fun!

AFe Dry-Flo is also a no-brainer.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Listen to this guy. OBD11 provides hours of fun!

AFe Dry-Flo is also a no-brainer.

To be fair I run an oiled filter (not K&N, but rather a good company which uses a much denser mesh...BMP?... Pretty sure it starts with a B, but I can't remember), so I'm a total poser. If I ever buy another one it will the the AFE dry-flo due to community recommendations, so that's what I suggest.

I also use VCDS instead of OBD11, but I recognize that 99% of people are served better with OBD11 and the community loves it. So I recommend that too.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
To be fair I run an oiled filter (not K&N, but rather a good company which uses a much denser mesh...BMP?... Pretty sure it starts with a B, but I can't remember), so I'm a total poser. If I ever buy another one it will the the AFE dry-flo due to community recommendations, so that's what I suggest.

I also use VCDS instead of OBD11, but I recognize that 99% of people are served better with OBD11 and the community loves it. So I recommend that too.

I hear you. I went AFe from forum research.

And I went VCDS before Obdeleven was mature enough. And I’m in IT so I’d rather do it manually, as opposed to using apps (scripts) that are doing who knows what.

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the heads up everyone. Placed my order for the OBDeleven and AFE dry filter.

I was doing some research on some DIY stuff I could do as well; wasn't able to find much, but what's the general consensus on the "snow guard" removal?

Living in New England it sounds like something that I would need; but there's plenty on here that are saying it isn't.