GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

Xdpker

Ready to race!
Adjusting the side mirrors correctly can eliminate all the unnecessary contortion. The Society of Automotive Engineers even wrote a paper on it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Tried this for the past week after years of adjusting the side mirrors the same way. Takes a little bit to get used to, but overall I think I like it better.

Pros : No more head checks, taking your eyes off the road. Just a quick glance at the mirror. For the first few days, I was still swiveling my head on lane changes, not quite trusting the system.

Cons: Makes backing in or out of tight spaces a little more difficult, for example two pillars in a parking garage where you would like to see the side of your car. Makes the passenger mirror tilt on reverse useless as you can't see your tires / curb anymore.

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
I posted a while back, but I'm actually gonna give a more legitimate answer this time.

Cupholders.

I know in the Civic's their cupholders are extra deep. I kinda wish we had something like that in the VW's. Or maybe even the ones that appear out of the center console like in the BMW's.

808MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
#1: Rain coming in. Totally solved by Weathertech window acrylics. #2: Squeaks from door seals. Semi-solved with Gummi-flege applications. #3: Some weird ticking noise coming from rear seat area somewhere when it’s hot outside. Sounds like maybe the plastic from seat pass thru.

Relatively minor considering the sport/fun/storage/responsiveness/comfort value of our GTI’s. 2 1/2 years now, and I STILL look forward to driving her EVERY single day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
My drivers side window. No matter how many times I reset the auto up/down function it stops working and I have to hold the button to operate my window.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
My drivers side window. No matter how many times I reset the auto up/down function it stops working and I have to hold the button to operate my window.

Same here and its only the driver side window. This seems to be a very wide spread issue with the Mk7, however I have yet to hear that VW has acknowledged it and is offering a solution.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Adjusting the side mirrors correctly can eliminate all the unnecessary contortion. The Society of Automotive Engineers even wrote a paper on it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

It's an interesting thing. I would note, the taller you are and further you are from the mirrors (seat positioned more aft), the less effective and safe this technique will be.

Edit: effectiveness will also vary between different cars. Also, having the side of your own car in the field of view functions as an important point of reference. I leave mine adjusted as far out as possible, while allowing me a view of my car's exterior with a head movement. In this setup, i still have a small close-in blind spot, but that's easily checked with a slight look to the side. Ill also note, i dont think my mirrors will go far enough outward to fully cover the near blind spot. And worth mentioning, it's possible you can end up with a new blind spot between your outside and inside mirrors.

My brother in law is over 6', uses this mirror method and feedback from him is that it works great.

As for varying effectiveness between different cars, my experience from renting a lot of cars for work travel is that this mirror adjustment method works just as well on any car I've ever driven. I've rented everything from full size minivans/SUVs, down to Yaris, Mini Coopers, Fiat 500s and every size in between for many makes and models. That mirror method just works.

And for the importance of seeing the side of your own car in the mirror as a reference, I will give you a quote from the SCCA driving instructor that first showed me this method: "Why do you need to see the side of your car? You don't know where your car is while driving?!" :p

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
My brother in law is over 6', uses this mirror method and feedback from him is that it works great.

As for varying effectiveness between different cars, my experience from renting a lot of cars for work travel is that this mirror adjustment method works just as well on any car I've ever driven. I've rented everything from full size minivans/SUVs, down to Yaris, Mini Coopers, Fiat 500s and every size in between for many makes and models. That mirror method just works.

And for the importance of seeing the side of your own car in the mirror as a reference, I will give you a quote from the SCCA driving instructor that first showed me this method: "Why do you need to see the side of your car? You don't know where your car is while driving?!" :p

I recently started using this method and its taking a long time to get used to it. I like it though

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Rock chips in the lower front bumper. My car is almost a year old and I already need to replace it. From 20 feet away the bad spots look like I have permanent black bug splatters.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I hate that the sunroof control doesn't have a setting to go from full open to tilted. You have to close it then press it again to tilt. Which is a minor annoyance but it's still poop.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Rock chips in the lower front bumper. My car is almost a year old and I already need to replace it. From 20 feet away the bad spots look like I have permanent black bug splatters.

Increase your following distance

I hate that the sunroof control doesn't have a setting to go from full open to tilted. You have to close it then press it again to tilt. Which is a minor annoyance but it's still poop.

I've never seen a car with this option

J.Etter

Passed Driver's Ed
I hate that the sunroof control doesn't have a setting to go from full open to tilted.

Agreed. I hardly ever fully open my sunroof, only tilt, but there has been a few times that I've wanted to go from full open to tilt and it is annoying.

Increase your following distance
I've never seen a car with this option

My MK4 Jetta sunroof would do that, albeit it had a dial, not a button/switch.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Agreed. I hardly ever fully open my sunroof, only tilt, but there has been a few times that I've wanted to go from full open to tilt and it is annoying.

My MK4 Jetta sunroof would do that, albeit it had a dial, not a button/switch.

Yup a lot of cars have this feature. My brother's '07 Hyundai Sonata does as well as my Mom's '14 Toureg (she has a dial instead of the button)

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
My '04 TL had that option, as did my '03 Saab 93 Aero before my TL. I think my wife's previous Accord also had that option. It's very annoying when you're used to it then dont have it.

Also mk5s also have the dial which does it

Hockey

Ready to race!
I can't stand the hill assist. Backing up my driveway that goes uphill is very unpleasant. Also when I do my oil changes and reverse off my ramps.