GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

pricej6361

Ready to race!
If you want terrible shifting, try a Dodge Journey 4 cylinder with the 4 speed auto transmission. My wife has one and it never seems to be in the right gear for what you are trying to do!

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
i cant stand how it jerks you to a stop. I have a 2017 and the acceleration is fine, no jerkiness really, but how the DSG downshifts when you are rolling forward slowly is horrendous. Honestly sometimes it makes me wish i just had a CVT.

I encountered that on the test drive and it felt like the car didn't know how to drive a manual. It felt like it slipped the clutch too much on take off and let the clutch engaged too long when you slowed down. Felt odd to me.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Most annoying thing?

That the car is 2 weeks old and some a-hole just rear ended me at an intersection because he was looking to the left and just assumed that I had gone.

:(:(:(

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Most annoying thing?

That the car is 2 weeks old and some a-hole just rear ended me at an intersection because he was looking to the left and just assumed that I had gone.

:(:(:(

Dude. That sucks.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I know, it's -killing- me.

2 weeks of awesome times, now a trip to the body shop and some PoS rental.

And I just noticed the hatch itself has a decent bend right around where it meets the bumper. I thought it was just the garish crack in the bumper and the ruined paint.

Of course no, actual body damage to non plastic pieces. :mad:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
That may be, but it means having to spend more money to fix something that comes from the factory like that.
Throwing money at problems can fix many of them most of the time, but eventually you could throw so much money at the car you'd be shopping for a different car.
While I halfway agree with you on that the other side of me says just get the tune :p

If you are really getting a clunk or very noticeable bump when slowing down you should go to the dealership and get the DSG looked at.

Just remember, the DSG at it's core is a automated manual transmission. Meaning, drive it like a manual transmission and it'll be much smoother. If you're coming from a slush box transmission this transmission could indeed feel a bit direct. But to should be very smooth on up shifts (acceleration). Again if downshifts (when slowing) aren't feeling smooth I'd highly recommend a trip to the dealership.

CharmedL1fe

Passed Driver's Ed
While I halfway agree with you on that the other side of me says just get the tune :p

If you are really getting a clunk or very noticeable bump when slowing down you should go to the dealership and get the DSG looked at.

Just remember, the DSG at it's core is a automated manual transmission. Meaning, drive it like a manual transmission and it'll be much smoother. If you're coming from a slush box transmission this transmission could indeed feel a bit direct. But to should be very smooth on up shifts (acceleration). Again if downshifts (when slowing) aren't feeling smooth I'd highly recommend a trip to the dealership.

I'll also add that when downshifting, there are definite rev ranges where the transmission prefers to be blipped. The way I learned them, was to cruise around in Sport and pay attention to where the car was deciding to downshift and used that as a base for further experimentation. That being said, when slowing to a stop, there will always be a little bit of a backlash from the transmission around the 3-6 mph range, which causes a bit of a stutter step before coming to a halt (at least that's my experience with my car).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starshine

Passed Driver's Ed
The aluminum pedals look good, but using them when your shoes are wet is a pain. My foot has come very close to slipping off the clutch in mid shift many times.

tknj99

Ready to race!
First Gear sucks :( Like others have noted with the MT, gotta be quick out of first else the minivan behind you eats up the rear bumper lol

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The aluminum pedals look good, but using them when your shoes are wet is a pain. My foot has come very close to slipping off the clutch in mid shift many times.

At least they're much better than the ones in the old Mk4 R32. Those things had more metal surface area and less rubber, and were downright hazardous!

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have problems with going 1st to 2nd on the MT? Feels EXTREMELY rough for a car with a DMF. It also makes very loud clunking noises which sometimes happen 2nd to 3rd as well. Bad pressure plate?

I had a thread about my slipping clutch from basically new, got it replaced under warranty, but now have noticed this. Oddly it only starts happening after the car warms up and continues from then on. When the car is cold, for the first minute or so, 1st to 2nd is smooth as butter.

Will be taking it back to the dealer but definitely another annoying clutch problem.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Anyone have problems with going 1st to 2nd on the MT? Feels EXTREMELY rough for a car with a DMF. It also makes very loud clunking noises which sometimes happen 2nd to 3rd as well. Bad pressure plate?

I had a thread about my slipping clutch from basically new, got it replaced under warranty, but now have noticed this. Oddly it only starts happening after the car warms up and continues from then on. When the car is cold, for the first minute or so, 1st to 2nd is smooth as butter.

Will be taking it back to the dealer but definitely another annoying clutch problem.

Perhaps the clutch delay delete mod may help your symptoms. I did that plus clutch stop and spring removal and all 3 made a great difference on mine.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I did the clutch delete when I purchased the car, so I don't have problems with the pedal, or the 1-2 shift. Lol [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dredayx

After it rains, when i roll the front windows down water drips into my car. The bigger thing for me was not getting a higher trim model. I will correct that next year though. So Dumb