GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My personal review of the 2015 GTI S 6speed after 5 months

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
I've had this car for about 5 months now, and after about 4000 miles, I must say I absolutely love it. This car was intended to be my "fun daily driver". My previous daily was a 2012 jetta s (which was a great car), and is the car I traded in for the GTI. Also, I've always wanted a golf, especially after Need for Speed underground 2 lol So I thought with the new mk7 platform, this would be the perfect time to get in one.

Anyway, I wanted the bare bones GTI, with the exception that I wanted the LP as my only option. I found exactly what I wanted at the dealer, and pulled the trigger. In my personal opinion, 95% of the fun could be had with the bare bones ~25K gti versus a fully loaded gti or even an R. Plus I absolutely love the plaid seats! The R is an awesome car, but believe it's only worth getting if you're a true vw/golf enthusiast. Because for the money, evo and sti are miles and miles ahead. Again, just my opinion.

This car is QUICK. After several spirited drives, I must say that even it's stock form is pretty quick. I can't wait to get a tune. And just so you can gauge my "speed gauge", I've had a 500+hp GT35r evo ix and a 997 Turbo. The car feels super small and nimble, all while fitting my huge 6'1 frame comfortably. However, the stock tires and brakes are GARBAGE. These are upgrades that must be made if performance is in mind. The PP brakes are solid I am sure, but for me, a mere pad upgrade is all I need for my purposes, and of course better tires when its time.

Interior wise, I feel spoiled. It is very nice, appealing to the eyes, and easy to work with. I love the SD port, and yes I am an old timer who still uses CDs. Bluetooth works flawlessly for me as well. I;m not fond of regular radio, so I have XM that I love listening to on my commutes. No problems here as far as infotainment and interior. The dash doesn't feel cheap at all, but I do hate the dust attractive fake carbon panel. Space-wise, Like I said, as a bigger guy, I get in and out no problem.

The 6 speed is pretty good. I'm not too fond of the clutch, but it does the job completely. I think the gear ratios are absolutely ridiculous, way too tall. I am just way used to the shorter ratios of the evo I suppose. I don't understand VWs purpose behind the taller gears, as I believe shorter gears would have made for a "funner" experience in driving the car. But, again, it's doesnt kill the car, it's just annoying. Mileage is not bad for what it is, especially since it is not that much worse than my jetta and in return I get a super fun and quick car. I think I am averaging 28-30mpg, but that it is with the occasional AC blast and spirited pulls/drives.

Again, the only option I have is the Lighting Package and uh....don't know why you would NOT get this option. HELLLO!?!??! lol Looks beautiful, love the cornering lights, (alot like my e92 M3), and the DRLs look sweet.

I used the free trial for car net...pretty cool I guess, but not worth it in my opinion.

Up until now, I have had 0 factory problems with the car *knock on wood* lol

My final arbitrary rating for this car is 8/10. Does everything I need it to do, and has little fun tidbits I can enjoy while coupling it with relatively sound reliability. Its a small car that helps with parking in the city, and has enough power to pass people no problem and have fun drives in the twisties.

So far have a VWR drop in, oem mk7 Euro tails, oem licesne plate leds, and hopefully I'll get the gfbdv+, vwr cbe and springs, apr boost gauge in soon, they've been gathering dust in my living room for a couple weeks now lol

Cheers! :)

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
nice to enjoy the car. I agree about the tires, better tires like michelin as3 will go a long way. Brakes are not far off from BMW's imo, but perhaps performance wise it's not great, then again waaaay better than mk6 gti brakes, and they are a joke and probably not confidence inspiring on certain circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wave

Ready to race!
I've put 4000 miles in just over a month and a half.
Seat adjustment for proper clutch control for an average (5'7") individual is less than ideal. Infotainment freezes or glitches occasionally on me with SD card. Gear ratios don't match up close enough when shifting from first to second, leaving a less-than-smooth change unless slipping the clutch. Traction control is not really ever turned "off." Too much understeer is dialed in from the factory, leading to some instances in spirited driving that the car pushes when it's apparent that the chassis could handle tuning for a little more tail-out attitude. Otherwise, I love it as well :D

However, my bigger concern is who had an e92 M3 and a 997 Turbo Porsche but feels spoiled, interior-wise, by the GTI? :eek:

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
I've put 4000 miles in just over a month and a half.
Seat adjustment for proper clutch control for an average (5'7") individual is less than ideal. Infotainment freezes or glitches occasionally on me with SD card. Gear ratios don't match up close enough when shifting from first to second, leaving a less-than-smooth change unless slipping the clutch. Traction control is not really ever turned "off." Too much understeer is dialed in from the factory, leading to some instances in spirited driving that the car pushes when it's apparent that the chassis could handle tuning for a little more tail-out attitude. Otherwise, I love it as well :D

However, my bigger concern is who had an e92 M3 and a 997 Turbo Porsche but feels spoiled, interior-wise, by the GTI? :eek:

lol in relative terms I meant as an upgrade from my daily jetta haha I prefer the e92 interior over the 997 especially if it has upgraded idrive. And dont be fooled, my 2015 gti does more infotainment wise than the m3 and 911, as they were 08 and 07, respectively.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Nice review! When you say OEM license plate LEDs what do you mean? bought them at dealer and just threw them in? Any errors?

I ordered the kit from Deutcheautoparts, however, unfortunately I am still getting an error code =\ I am in talks with DAP right now to resolve it, but it just seems it's a bad resistor.

wave

Ready to race!
lol in relative terms I meant as an upgrade from my daily jetta haha I prefer the e92 interior over the 997 especially if it has upgraded idrive. And dont be fooled, my 2015 gti does more infotainment wise than the m3 and 911, as they were 08 and 07, respectively.

Haha, I hear ya :p It is definitely quite a nice car for under 30 grand, and I really couldn't find anything else in this class that I liked nearly as much. No regrets here!

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Haha, I hear ya :p It is definitely quite a nice car for under 30 grand, and I really couldn't find anything else in this class that I liked nearly as much. No regrets here!

Indeed. I forgot to add this to my original post. I don't think you can do much better in the 25-30K range than the gti.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Only thing comparable would be the Focus ST, at some point Honda is going to have something in the category.

This, the new Si from what I hear is going to be quick, but it'll just look like factory rice equipped with wheels essentially bigger they can fit, also current WRX too unless you opt for the top of the line. Essentially GTI is the best you get for your buck, Focus ST and so on do the same if only performance you care about ticks all your boxes and not care about crappy interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sapz

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered the kit from Deutcheautoparts, however, unfortunately I am still getting an error code =\ I am in talks with DAP right now to resolve it, but it just seems it's a bad resistor.

You can get ride of the error using VAGCOM. Did it for my mk7.

----
Steps for VCDS

Led license plate lights

Select STG 09 (wiring)
STG access permissions -> Function 16
Enter Unlock Code 31347
STG adjustment -> function 10
(1) Select Leuchte25KZL HA59-load type 25
Customize LED general - value at 43
(6) Leuchte25KZL HA59 dimming AB-25 Select
Adjust value to 127
----

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'm a lil confused. You've owned a porsche and an M3 yet you DD a '12 Jetta S and call it a "great car" ??? I had a 2011 Jetta SE and it was easily the worst (new) car i've driven in my life. Granted, it was an Auto (prolly would've like it a lot more if it was stick). Just find that a little... Weird.

Also I agree with Tkulhanc (we both had MK6's before our MK7's) - the brakes are definitely more than acceptable for a daily driver.

Another "MK6-MK7" comparison: gear ratios on the manual. I too was very surprised by how tall the gears were on this car. But, this car also comes from the factory with more power. With the taller gears, power delivery is smoother/more linear and less likely to spin the tires. The thing I like most about the taller gears is the efficiency. 80mph cruise control in this car on sticky tires gets me a computer calculated 33 mpg, which comes out to about 32 real-world. My MK6 on stock tires got about 28 mpg computer calc'd going 80, so 27 real world. For that reason, I used to go 65 in my MK6 just so I could get 32-33 mpg. Now I don't have to sacrifice speed for efficiency :)

If I was to write my own review of this car I'd prolly get flamed for being too much of a fanboy. But I've only ever owned an MK5 Jetta, an MK6 Jetta, an MK6 GTI and now my MK7, so to ME this car is literally anything/everything I've ever wanted. It's better in just about every way than any of my other cars, besides maybe the rear design of the MK6 (also I wish they brought the Shadow Blue from the MK6 to the MK7 - that would've been my choice over CSG).

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
I'm a lil confused. You've owned a porsche and an M3 yet you DD a '12 Jetta S and call it a "great car" ??? I had a 2011 Jetta SE and it was easily the worst (new) car i've driven in my life. Granted, it was an Auto (prolly would've like it a lot more if it was stick). Just find that a little... Weird.

Also I agree with Tkulhanc (we both had MK6's before our MK7's) - the brakes are definitely more than acceptable for a daily driver.

Another "MK6-MK7" comparison: gear ratios on the manual. I too was very surprised by how tall the gears were on this car. But, this car also comes from the factory with more power. With the taller gears, power delivery is smoother/more linear and less likely to spin the tires. The thing I like most about the taller gears is the efficiency. 80mph cruise control in this car on sticky tires gets me a computer calculated 33 mpg, which comes out to about 32 real-world. My MK6 on stock tires got about 28 mpg computer calc'd going 80, so 27 real world. For that reason, I used to go 65 in my MK6 just so I could get 32-33 mpg. Now I don't have to sacrifice speed for efficiency :)

If I was to write my own review of this car I'd prolly get flamed for being too much of a fanboy. But I've only ever owned an MK5 Jetta, an MK6 Jetta, an MK6 GTI and now my MK7, so to ME this car is literally anything/everything I've ever wanted. It's better in just about every way than any of my other cars, besides maybe the rear design of the MK6 (also I wish they brought the Shadow Blue from the MK6 to the MK7 - that would've been my choice over CSG).

Soo...just because one owns $70-100K cars, a jetta can't be a good car? lol I find your statement a little weird, but then again maybe you haven't attempted to daily drive an m3 or a 997 turbo. I actually did daily the m3 for 5 months, as it was easier to drive than my evo at the time by far. These cars eat gas, can get daunting in traffic, and of course you always have to worry about where you park when you have a nicer car. When you realize the possible hassles of owning more higher end cars, cars like the 2012 jetta that are easy to drive with good mileage, and wouldnt care if it was door dinged, are like a breathe of fresh air. Trust me ;) and my jetta was totally awesome. Has 0 problems, had alot of room when I needed it, and it did what it was supposed to do. Take me from point a to b no prob. The GTI does that now, but a little quicker, and with sat radio lol

Last edited: