GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 1.8TSI and JB1

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Hey guys,

I don't know my status on how many people have actually installed a JB1 with a Golf 1.8T, but I know there seems to be a lack of information online. I will be here to provide any knowledge I gain over the next few months of playing around/testing it, and try to provide as good a review as possible.

Pictures

(I forgot to take some!, but they'll be here soon)

Review:
Install:
The install is as easy as outlined in the instructions. Well, mostly. Plugs B,C, and D, you just follow Burger motorsports instructions to a T.

With all wires, I pulled them up through a hole on the 90 elbow of the stock airbox. I had trouble squeezing the connectors through any other place, and then routing them further down.

Plug B- Super simple, right on top. Simply plug in stock connector to female connector, and plug new male connector into stock female.

Plug C- When you look down on the engine, heading down towards the fan, you see it. Its 14 pins. If you follow the instructions and pull it towards the fan, it kind of rotates forward, this allows you to see the back that holds the connector. This makes freeing the cable much easier. Simply plug in, and easy peasy.

Plug D- First off, I have no clue how anyone does this from the engine bay top. Even when I had taken the bottom off, I stuck a screwdriver in by it, so i had a clue of where my arm had to go, and still couldn't really get to it.
That being said, taking off the eight t-25 screws on the bottom was super simple using a simple floor jack and a t-25 bit in a drill. Then using a flathead to lift the bottom, and free it, I could see it clearly. I did have some trouble removing the connector, but after re-reading the instructions and noting the *push in and then pull out* comment, it came out instantly.

Plug A- The problem child for our cars, it is not used in Map 1, and I have no clue where to plug it in yet.

After closing the car all up, the car turned back on, 3 connectors on, and all zip-tied up to make sure no unwanted movement is there (and they are simple enough to remove if such a situation arises).

In all, installation was a breeze when I had the support of knowing Plug A was not necessary to run stage 1 levels of boost.

Driving:
Oh, the fun part. At first turning the car on was so rewarding. I have not had the best luck with mods in the past, and was half expecting it to not work, but the instructions were clear enough even I found a way to install it properly. I decided to drive to my local Target to buy some removable adhesive, and it give me an excuse to mess around with the car and jump on the freeway for an exit, which includes two long enough on-ramps. I kept the pedal civil through my neighborhood, but once I turned onto the 45-mph road I live off of, sport mode was on and I was accelerating. I do not know if by that point the ECU had adjusted properly, or if I just wanted it to be working, but the car seemed to have more pickup. By the time I had reached the on-ramp, I had 2-3 more good pulls to 50 from a slow enough speed, so I gunned it. The car felt good. I do believe the turbo noises were louder than before, and the car was certainly faster. I have no official data to prove as such, but the smile on my face told me everything I needed to know.

In the near future, I plan on completing a few 0-60 runs and a dyno run or two before moving on to the full accessory list of bolt-ons to release the potential of my new JB1.

Also: Car picture, just because.

Last edited:

Moschris

Ready to race!
So us plug A not needed for us? I would like to use the module to its full potential and if map 2 wouldn't be available for me then I dont see a difference between this and the neuspeed power module.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
So us plug A not needed for us? I would like to use the module to its full potential and if map 2 wouldn't be available for me then I dont see a difference between this and the neuspeed power module.

We obviously have a crank sensor somewhere. I am contacting the guys at Burger Motorsports to find the appropriate plug and get it connected, however, they dont necessarily have a 1.8T to play with. Im sure ours is somewhere in the area. Though, without it, im not sure what the differences are between a Neuspeed and JB1, but I started with the JB1

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

Plug A is not in use on the 1.8T US spec. ROW it will be used as on the harness. We missed updating the install on this.

This unit does fueling as well with the added benefit of being able to adjust boost to your exact modifications and fuel quality and not be restricted with two settings that either work for you or dont.

Moschris

Ready to race!
Plug A is not in use on the 1.8T US spec. ROW it will be used as on the harness. We missed updating the install on this.

This unit does fueling as well with the added benefit of being able to adjust boost to your exact modifications and fuel quality and not be restricted with two settings that either work for you or dont.

So what are the gains looking like on this unit for the 1.8t?

Whats the maximum ammount of hp you can achieve with the unit?

Is this considered a self flash tune?

I apologize for all of the questions, i just want to learn more about the unit before i settle.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
So what are the gains looking like on this unit for the 1.8t?

Whats the maximum ammount of hp you can achieve with the unit?

Is this considered a self flash tune?

I apologize for all of the questions, i just want to learn more about the unit before i settle.

Its a plug and play. The minimum should be in the region of 35whp. There is not maximum set at the moment as its not a motor we conducted long term testing on in the long run. There is a car that will push the barrier now and I will post as get information on the gains.
We also do not believe in big boost without supporting mods so its a step at a time.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Excellent, thanks for sharing.

So, this is an interesting difference on what can be supported on the 1.8t then. The US spec GTI 2.0t has VVT on the exhaust side, but 1.8t gen 3 motor on the Golf does not. This might have something to do with the connections. Hopefully something can be worked out to allow the 1.8t to still pull the the RPM signal by swapping out the connector or something, or by using a slightly different design if the signal collection differs. Seems like the RPM signal could be pulled from anywhere on the CAN-bus, but the connector is likely the best place for collection for a real-time application such as this.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Excellent, thanks for sharing.

So, this is an interesting difference on what can be supported on the 1.8t then. The US spec GTI 2.0t has VVT on the exhaust side, but 1.8t gen 3 motor on the Golf does not. This might have something to do with the connections. Hopefully something can be worked out to allow the 1.8t to still pull the the RPM signal by swapping out the connector or something, or by using a slightly different design if the signal collection differs. Seems like the RPM signal could be pulled from anywhere on the CAN-bus, but the connector is likely the best place for collection for a real-time application such as this.

The JB1 has no can-bus capability. If there is room for a map 2 on the 1.8T US we will put plug and play extension and pull from crankshaft sensor (its easier to create one harness to cover all models and add on if need be). The harness is modular and is also being used on the 1.8T with VVT as found in the Polo GTI and Audi A3.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
The JB1 has no can-bus capability. If there is room for a map 2 on the 1.8T US we will put plug and play extension and pull from crankshaft sensor (its easier to create one harness to cover all models and add on if need be). The harness is modular and is also being used on the 1.8T with VVT as found in the Polo GTI and Audi A3.

Cool, glad to hear about the harness. That makes good sense.

OP, keep us posted on how it goes;)

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
So here are the results:

*Disclaimer*

Mustang Dyno, which is known to run considerably lower than dynojet.

End results net a +29 HP / +55 FT-LB torque gained from the unit as seen on a mustang dyno.

I cannot speak loud enough for how happy the JB1 has made me. It has transformed the car. It is not crazy fast, but enough that I catch myself mashing my foot a bit much.

APR Stock: 151/189 to the wheels on 93 octane (Dyno Jet)

My Stock: 138/167 to the wheels on 93 octane (Mustang)

Seems to be 9-12% off from one another

My Map 1 JB1: 167/216 to the wheels on 93 octane (mustang dyno)

To make my numbers more comparable to the standard.

182/244 to the wheels on 93 octane (mustang->dynojet conversion)

I plan on looking into a down pipe, and an intake as my next two mods, and seeing what the extra airflow allow the car to do.

Last edited:

K4RL

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the info. It looks like you might get most of the way to a full tune, without compromising the warranty. On that note, how exactly is this device different than a full tune? I thought other piggybacks simply adjust boost, but my brief reading shows the JB1 to be pretty sophisticated in how it adulterates the ECU signals. In other words, what parameters does a tune modify that a piggyback can't? Is it possible that future releases/maps for the JB1 may close the gap between tunes and piggybacks? Maybe all speculation, but I'd enjoy the opinion of someone more informed than me.