GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's the subtle cosmetic mods I like... POST YOURS

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for sharing, jaypoto.

What bulb type is the amber turn signal? Could an LED be used?

I'm guessing these aren't OEM parts. How is the quality and fit?

It looks like that "dark red" is the same shade as your inner tails. I'm not sure what shade I have on my 2016 GTI. I think it's that same one.

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
Thanks for sharing, jaypoto.

What bulb type is the amber turn signal? Could an LED be used?

I'm guessing these aren't OEM parts. How is the quality and fit?

It looks like that "dark red" is the same shade as your inner tails. I'm not sure what shade I have on my 2016 GTI. I think it's that same one.

Bulb type is 7440, same as all the other brake lights. Led can absolutely be used. I will be ordering some soon.

These are oem tails from the ROW market specific to the golf sportwagen. Dark red is the correct shade to match the inner brake lights. I believe you can find the same type of ROW lights for the golf/gti if you do some searching around.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I was looking into fitting these, however I know nothing about electrical. How easy was this to wire and install? Would you mind sharing what parts you used?

I bought the lights from Aliexpress, it came with the wire already. It's really a pain in the butt.

You have to get at the BCM that's under the drivers side dash, it's a real pain. I had to take apart the entire lower dash to get at it. It's really tight.
Once you get at it, you disconnect the wire harness, and add the missing pin/wire to the connector (just pops in), then start routing the rest of the wire through the car to where the LED lights are supposed to go.

It's tedious, and annoying. Also for me, the coding didn't work right. So I can't use the OEM setting in the Car menu to change the brightness of the car. In the Footwell light troubleshooting thread there are alternate instructions to get it to work though.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Bulb type is 7440, same as all the other brake lights. Led can absolutely be used. I will be ordering some soon.

These are oem tails from the ROW market specific to the golf sportwagen. Dark red is the correct shade to match the inner brake lights. I believe you can find the same type of ROW lights for the golf/gti if you do some searching around.

Thanks. Appreciate the info. I will do some searching. And research the correct shade of red etc.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Subtle but highly functional =)

I don't know about your specific vehicle but, another person who installed outer lights with ambers on a NA GTI said that a wiring harness was necessary. I believe you can use the same harness for Euro LED tails.

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
I don't know about your specific vehicle but, another person who installed outer lights with ambers on a NA GTI said that a wiring harness was necessary. I believe you can use the same harness for Euro LED tails.

I suspect that you may be correct when it comes to the golf/gti. In the case of the sportwagen we are able to simply code the amber turn signal on.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I suspect that you may be correct when it comes to the golf/gti. In the case of the sportwagen we are able to simply code the amber turn signal on.

That makes sense since I have noticed that the GSWs around here have that section of the outer tail functional, red in colour. I believe it mirrors the behaviour of the main outer tail bulb.

However, on my GTI that part of the outer tail is non functional, clear plastic.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3

Correct - I helped my buddy install Euro non-LED tails on his GTI. We used the DAP harness and the same coding as an LED install. Worked perfectly.

(The Sportwagen is already wired to have two separate channels for the combination brake/running/turn light as well as the spot for the designated turn signal in other markets, hence the coding change).

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Correct - I helped my buddy install Euro non-LED tails on his GTI. We used the DAP harness and the same coding as an LED install. Worked perfectly.

(The Sportwagen is already wired to have two separate channels for the combination brake/running/turn light as well as the spot for the designated turn signal in other markets, hence the coding change).

Hey Adam. Did you do the inner non-LED or did he just buy the outers?

I was thinking that since there wouldn't be any functionality change to the inner tails, that you wouldn't need to route that wire outer-inner. And might only need the harness on the new outer tails as well. Essentially leaving the inners alone, physically.

Maybe I'm missing something...

defcon5

Ready to race!
I change the boot to real leather. I had blue stitch leather boot but I thought to try this and see how it looks.

IMG_0058.jpg

PureWhiteAutobahn

Passed Driver's Ed
What'd that run you?