GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel starting to peel!

Jared

Ready to race!
Just recently got my gti 3 months ago and it looks as if the steering wheel is starting to peel I don't know if it's from the sun or what? If this has happened to anyone or just knows how to touch it up and just stop it from happening let me know...

FullSizeRender.jpg

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Looks like it's just gotten slightly shiny from the oils on your hands. Get yourself some leather cleaner if you want and clean it. It's not even that bad, but that will make it look new again.

Jared

Ready to race!
Sounds good I'll try that and yeah it's not bad at all it's just something little that was bothering me and wanted to see if I could do anything about it.

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
Sounds good I'll try that and yeah it's not bad at all it's just something little that was bothering me and wanted to see if I could do anything about it.

After a quick google

On most leather conditioners the containers label warns against its use on steering wheels as it will make them slippery and unsafe. The oils cannot permeate the leather and therefore remain on the surface; the same thing will apply to seating surfaces
1. Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Master Strong Effect Cleaner) or a degreaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependent upon type and extent of soil or stain
2. Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process)
3. Then use vacuum extractor or compressed air nozzle to dry
4. Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply a leather protection (Leather Master’s Leather Protection)
Leather Master’s Leather Degreaser (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from leather surface. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather.

DainBramaged

Ready to race!
At first I though you meant peeling as in stripping off, but I guess you mean like orange peel? I can kind of see where you mean at the 2 o'clock position, but it looks more mildly dull and discolored where your hand has been, rather than a peel effect. I guess all you can do is clean it and clean it regularly. Our hands have lots of sweat, oils and grime on them and this can affect the leather and some hands are worse than others. Keep an eye on it and if it starts getting really bad then maybe you could ask your dealer about it, but to be honest, it just looks like the beginning of normal wear from hands.

Saying all that, I feel your pain. You cars only 3 months old and we want our babies to stay in as pristine condition for as long as possible. Oh, yeah taking pics at 60mph maybe not the best idea. Something happens and your steering wheel might be the least of your worries :)

GoTime1

Ready to race!
Meguires interior detailer....

best stuff you can buy. Spray some on a microfibre cloth and wipe everything down. You will be amazed at all the dirt that gathers on the leather. And it does not leave antyhing sticky or greasy. Actually brings back the matt finish to your leather

tmehanna

Passed Driver's Ed
Had this happen in my EOS 45 days after delivery some 7 years ago. VW replaced the steering wheek under warranty and the replacement never peeled in the 2 years I owned the car.

Jared

Ready to race!
Had this happen in my EOS 45 days after delivery some 7 years ago. VW replaced the steering wheek under warranty and the replacement never peeled in the 2 years I owned the car.

For how small it is I don't want to be a pest, should I wait to see if it gets any worse or was this how yours looked at the time you contacted them?

Jared

Ready to race!
At first I though you meant peeling as in stripping off, but I guess you mean like orange peel? I can kind of see where you mean at the 2 o'clock position, but it looks more mildly dull and discolored where your hand has been, rather than a peel effect. I guess all you can do is clean it and clean it regularly. Our hands have lots of sweat, oils and grime on them and this can affect the leather and some hands are worse than others. Keep an eye on it and if it starts getting really bad then maybe you could ask your dealer about it, but to be honest, it just looks like the beginning of normal wear from hands.

Saying all that, I feel your pain. You cars only 3 months old and we want our babies to stay in as pristine condition for as long as possible. Oh, yeah taking pics at 60mph maybe not the best idea. Something happens and your steering wheel might be the least of your worries :)

You get me haha, little things like that bother me it's barley anything and just didn't want it to get worse. Also that probably wasn't my best idea but I was on an open road and it usually only shows when the suns on it so I snapped a pic of it, I figured I'd get some shit but whatever lol

tmehanna

Passed Driver's Ed
For how small it is I don't want to be a pest, should I wait to see if it gets any worse or was this how yours looked at the time you contacted them?
No, mine was a lot worse and not limited to the 2 and 10 positions. However, unless you have very sweaty hands AND never take your hands off the wheel, the wear you have is still abmormal for the age and mileage

Jared

Ready to race!
No, mine was a lot worse and not limited to the 2 and 10 positions. However, unless you have very sweaty hands AND never take your hands off the wheel, the wear you have is still abmormal for the age and mileage

It's also weird considering I don't even put my hand there... I figured it's from the sun, do you think that might be a possibility?