Drag Race Newbie

2 easy mods today[emoji41]

sent using Pide Piper middle out compression app

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Put E85 in the tank for first time !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AutobahnGuy

Just picked it back up from the dealer... DSG needed to be replaced. [emoji52] luckily it was covered under warranty and I have another 40k before I need the DSG service (silver linings).

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Just picked it back up from the dealer... DSG needed to be replaced. [emoji52] luckily it was covered under warranty and I have another 40k before I need the DSG service (silver linings).

What happened?

AutobahnGuy

Last Friday I was just cruising down the highway and all of a sudden I got a warning ⚠️ "unable to engage reverse gear" so I quickly pulled over and got off the highway. I turned the car off thinking it might have just been some type of funky fluke. I turned it back on and it seemed normal. So I got back on the highway and about 2 minutes later the same thing happened accompanied this time with a CEL. Luckily I was right near another highway exit so once again i quickly pulled off the highway. As I was pulling off the highway it would not down shift. As soon as the revs dropped to ~1000 it almost stalled it shifted from 6th gear to 1st gear and would not shift up. So I limped to the gas station and called VW to get a tow.

The dealer tried to reflash the tranny and also checked the mechatronic unit. Neither helped so VWOA said to replace the transmission since it was under the 5yr/50k powertrain warranty. (I was at 36,010mi when I took it in)

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Last Friday I was just cruising down the highway and all of a sudden I got a warning ⚠️ "unable to engage reverse gear"****snippity snip snip***** So I limped to the gas station and called VW to get a tow.

The dealer tried to reflash the tranny and also checked the mechatronic unit. Neither helped so VWOA said to replace the transmission since it was under the 5yr/50k powertrain warranty. (I was at 36,010mi when I took it in)

That's interesting. Being a mechanic, my natural curiosity wonders what went FUBAR in it. Full disclosure: NOT a VW employee. I work on much bigger stuff.

AutobahnGuy

I tried to get more information from the dealer, as to what actually went wrong. They said as soon as VWOA said to replace it they quit messing with it and just got a new one on order. They said they don't go usually crack into the transmissions anymore at the dealership especially the DSGs.

From what I found online this seems most common in 2015's and very low miles 600-4000.

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Nobody does this on complex stuff that's under warranty anymore. Ship it back to the factory, turns into a rebuilt unit upon repair there.