GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

adam1991

Banned
Hate
- That 1-2, 2-3 upshifts are almost always jerky when applying anything less than 35% throttle.
- That 3-2, 2-1 downshifts are jerky as hell if braking normally and coming to a stop. (I've come to shift to N while coming to a stop to get rid of this)

Huh. That doesn't happen on mine AT ALL.

Loonster

Ready to race!
I love shifting gears, it's so much more engaging. I got the DSG because it's that good. In the past, getting an automatic made your car slower. I have a 1997 Miata and I wouldn't dream of having an automatic in that car, the stick is the only way to go for that particular car. The DSG is so spot on in manual mode, it'll do exactly what you tell it to do in 0.33sec.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
4. The DSG is OBSESSED with driving around in 6th gear. Yes even after an APR TCU tune. I mean you can choose to not care and just lug it around if you're putt putting around but you're giving up MPG doing that. "Oh you're doing 38 MPH steadily? We need 6th right now pls. Think of the environment." Which leads to...

5. The DSG is OBSESSED with 6th gear. Give it a good amount of throttle because traffic cleared up and want to get up to 65? Do we downshift? Fuck no, just throw boost at it. I swear somewhere in the DSG's case it says DSG+6th gear 5eva. "Bet Steddy there's S-mode!"

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Some nteresting comparions. Incedentally, I discovered tonite (Friday 16th) 2 peeps who recently returned 'auto' cars: one a DSG Golf and the other an auto Vauxhall Viva. Both because the 'box' refused to change down when power was applied in order to accelerate, preferring instead to hold the higher gear longer, engine bogging down and scaring the sugar out of the drivers. Dealers either uninterested (VX) or coudn't solve the problem (VW). Not exactly convinced me of DSG benefits but hey, if it works for folk....

Last edited:

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Some nteresting comparions. Incedentally, I discovered tonite (Friday 16th) 2 peeps who recently returned 'auto' cars: one a DSG Golf and the other an auto Vauxhall Viva. Both because the 'box' refused to change down when power was applied in order to accelerate, preferring instead to hold the higher gear longer, engine bogging down and scaring the sugar out of the drivers. Dealers either uninterested (VX) or coudn't solve the problem (VW). Not exactly convinced me of DSG benefits but hey, if it works for folk....
And why can't you tap the paddle if you want some power? I know what I am going to floor it before the dsg does so I shift it. I can see the hill coming so again a tap of the paddle. I like shifting too but this car has a weak clutch. If it weren't for that fact I would also choose the manual

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I love shifting gears, it's so much more engaging. I got the DSG because it's that good. In the past, getting an automatic made your car slower. I have a 1997 Miata and I wouldn't dream of having an automatic in that car, the stick is the only way to go for that particular car. The DSG is so spot on in manual mode, it'll do exactly what you tell it to do in 0.33sec.

But a DSG can't go 6th to 4th, 5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd, or 3rd to 1st.

They can't go even to even or odd to odd because of the way the clutches share gears. It may start doing things in a blink of an eye but it has to sort itself out first. If you have to wait why not just do it yourself?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Some interesting comparions. Incedentally, I discovered tonite (Friday 16th) 2 peeps who recently returned 'auto' cars: one a DSG Golf and the other an auto Vauxhall Viva. Both because the 'box' refused to change down when power was applied in order to accelerate, preferring instead to hold the higher gear longer, engine bogging down and scaring the sugar out of the drivers. Dealers either uninterested (VX) or coudn't solve the problem (VW). Not exactly convinced me of DSG benefits but hey, if it works for folk....
See quote above lol
And why can't you tap the paddle if you want some power? I know what I am going to floor it before the dsg does so I shift it. I can see the hill coming so again a tap of the paddle. I like shifting too but this car has a weak clutch. If it weren't for that fact I would also choose the manual

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So you're either paying for the option($1100), then buying a TCU tune for $700(plus an hour of labor to flash which is probably another $100) which is $1900 bucks

or

You get the 6MT which isn't an added cost option, buy either a SMF setup for $1295:
http://www.urotuning.com/DKM-Stage-3-MS-Twin-Disc-Clutch-Flywheel-Kit-TSI-p/ms-034-060.htm

or a DMF setup for $1050:
https://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3888

then pay someone to install it if you're lazy like me for $500-$700 and realistically you're within a couple hundred of each other.

It comes down to wanting to shift yourself or just hanging out and letting the car do its thing.

The fact that everyone keeps talking about how the DSG is "cheaper" to upgrade everything else is wrong. You spend about the same money in order to get the same result. Also, if you want to make big boy power that DKM twin organic disc up there for the manual is rated to 660 tq and drives almost like stock.

If you want to hold 660 tq with the DSG it's $4825 just for parts.

http://www.urotuning.com/HPA-Motorsports-Performance-Clutch-Pack-DQ250-DSG-p/hpa-dsg-clutch.htm

On the drop down on that, you select stage 2, and I already subtracted the $600 core fee, so you need $5425 up front.

While you're spending that on just clutches(7 of them in the stage 2 kit), my lazy self is going right over to here:

http://www.goapr.com/products/crate_engine_20t_ea888_gen3.html

and buying a built long block because my $1295 clutch will take whatever I throw at it.

Or I'll kill my stock engine with some big ass turbo setup with mad fueling like the VTT S2+ for $3298 with their fueling upgrade + whatever UM is going to charge for their tuning, we'll say $1000 to make it simple so $4298, which is STILL less money than some clutch packs. All while my $1295 clutch will hold it. Oh and if I want to go higher power I replace the organic discs with the ceramic ones from DKM for less than $1000.

There is no one that is better than the other when it comes to modding. There's differences which causes people to have preferences. If you're talking dollar for dollar, they cost about the same until you want big power, then the DSG gets stupid expensive.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
But a DSG can't go 6th to 4th, 5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd, or 3rd to 1st.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tim92

I think dsg is better...

But its al about what you prefer, if you like to shift then go manual.
Do you like to chill and cruize without shifting go for DSG.

I ordered an manual and i chose to do so, even though in my country te only way to get the pp is with dsg... so yeah fml but for me the only reason to go DSG is for the sounds and pops haha. But my want for manual was just to big!

So yeah its all personal in my opinion.

sdo1349

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT,
I just bought a manual because I missed the fun of "driving". Its my daily driver and I love it. So right now I have 3 manual and 1 automatic, nice.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
I went manual because I like to shift, the other day I was eating a charger r/t, my wife said “ that was a smooth 2/3 shift” something a dsg driver will never hear. You can be faster all day long, there is no style points to be had on shifting with paddles.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
If your a 1/4 mile kinda of benchmarker then the dsg is a no brainer. Roll 50 on up I think the dsg advantage goes away. Jmo...

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
I went manual because I like to shift, the other day I was eating a charger r/t, my wife said “ that was a smooth 2/3 shift” something a dsg driver will never hear. You can be faster all day long, there is no style points to be had on shifting with paddles.

Most DSG drivers don't really care about style points. I had a 6mt mk7 and now have a dsg mk7, enjoy it way more