GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

binx2

Passed Driver's Ed
Why did you go one way or the other. For tuning purposes? Can't drive stick? Etc. I've driven both and prefer the manual over the dsg. I found the dsg to be boring unless your wailing on the throttle. To me up shifts felt slow, probably cause I was waiting for the gear change instead of doing it. It's by far one of the best auto's I've driven, but it creates a huge disconnect for me and the car.

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
I test drove both, and was very impressed with the DSG.

But I knew from the start that I wanted a manual.

I just enjoy changing gear, and acutally feel more in control of the car. Gearshift is very smooth compared to my MK2 Golf GTI, and is so nice to drive. :)

BrowardMK6

Banned
Be careful with the manual... is more fun but can't hold the power levels of the stage 1 ECU upgrade. So if you're gonna upgrade your ECU get the DSG!

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
The manual is my first choice. But have legs that don't like the clutch actin any longer.
Also just like to tool along at times and can always use the sport mode when the spirit moves me. Yes I'm an old f*** but still like the VWs.

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
Be careful with the manual... is more fun but can't hold the power levels of the stage 1 ECU upgrade. So if you're gonna upgrade your ECU get the DSG!

Really. I wouldn't expect clutch slip with a stage 1 remap.

My previous Mk4 GTI and my Mk2 Golf with the Audi 1.8T engine all coped well with a stage one remap. And that was with a 70hp increase.

Stripey

Ready to race!
I didn't test drive anything when coming to this, my first, golf but I knew all along that whatever car I got it was going to be automatic after 20 years of driving manual.

The golf DSG didn't disappoint and I love it. My primary reason for wanting auto was to make long journeys in heavy traffic more comfortable. No more constant in/out of the clutch in stop/start traffic, which i seem to find myself in quite frequently.

Also, the DSG can change gear quicker than I ever could which makes it a bit quicker off the mark.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I didn't test drive anything when coming to this, my first, golf but I knew all along that whatever car I got it was going to be automatic after 20 years of driving manual.

The golf DSG didn't disappoint and I love it. My primary reason for wanting auto was to make long journeys in heavy traffic more comfortable. No more constant in/out of the clutch in stop/start traffic, which i seem to find myself in quite frequently.

Also, the DSG can change gear quicker than I ever could which makes it a bit quicker off the mark.

Which puzzles me with the opening post, pulling off even without racing the car, you are soon in 4th gear, where as in manual probably still be in 2nd gear.
The debate over manual and auto will go on for a long time, I suspect those that are in favour of manual having been driving a relatively shorter time than those of us that love the DSG, I certainly do not miss anything about a manual, I'm not even sure where less involved arrives from, having driven manuals in between, gear changing now seems to get in the way.

JTC

I just test drove a GT TDI with the DSG for a few days - its a great option & I can understand why people would want it (agree it will be a boon on motorways when they get clogged up). However I didn't like the auto-start/stop with the DSG so ended up turning it off. So thats why I ordered a GTD with a manual box (yes I am moving away from an Audi A4 to a VW Golf as its simply a better car all round)

BrowardMK6

Banned
Really. I wouldn't expect clutch slip with a stage 1 remap.

My previous Mk4 GTI and my Mk2 Golf with the Audi 1.8T engine all coped well with a stage one remap. And that was with a 70hp increase.

Funny cause my previous MK6 GTI was manual and had the APR stage 1 remap which increase power and torque from 200hp/207tq to 255hp/294tq and after a couple of months the clutch started to slip.

That's why this time I'm going with the DSG!

Liland

Ready to race!
Went for DSG for City driving comfort mainly, but also for it being more efficent an quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
Maybe the newer clutch setup can't cope with the increase in power then.

I suppose the only way around it would be to fit a clutch kit from the new Golf R. :)

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
DSG

After 20+ years of driving I’ve recently got my first Automatic/DSG. Got to say I already know that I’ll never go back… Plenty of toys on the car to make sure it’s never boring, and if I fancy taking more control, it’s a touch of a button and I’m twitching flaps like it was my first girlfriend! What’s not to love? ;)

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
Too much of a mission and waste of money for a brand new car! DSG is the way to go! Simple as that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A clutch change is fairly simple to be honest. I do all the work myself on my cars, even fitted the Audi 1.8T 20v into my Mk2 Golf myself, so a clutch change would be too difficult.

I'm not looking to remap mine anytime soon as I'm quite happy with the power at the moment.

Once I change the turbo on my Mk2 Golf I'll be running near enough 300hp, so that will satisfy my more power needs for now ;)

wobbler

Ready to race!
I opted for a manual this time round. My last car was DSG. I found that i lost touch with driving the car with DSG and became bored and a lazy driver. I'm loving driving a manual again with the emphasis on "driving".