GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I bother fighting it?

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
Lawl you guys who hate are hilarious. Slalom king at 40 mph yeah I am CRAZY behind the wheel of a car! Not to hate myself but I am pretty sure that 93 mph on a public road is a tad more unsafe than signaling around a couple cones going "wheeeee". :bellyroll:

Edit: Oh you are from Jersey that explains the hate. Carry on good sir.

hey :(

AXO

Go Kart Champion
93 miles an hour in a 60 is just plain Reckless, period. You are very lucky you were not arrested for Reckless driving. Here in Florida Troopers will lock you up for one suspension on your license. Even the most skilled driver would have a difficult time conducting an emergency maneuver at that speed. It was just plain dumb.

OK enough of that! We have all been guilty of this sometime in our life's. So I am done thrashing you. Hopefully a lesson could be learned here. If you play you have to be prepared to pay.

On to my advice: I would most certainly try an alternative to pleading guilty. Hiring an attorney would be a good idea. It can be money well spent over years of high insurance rates. Here in Florida we have the Ticket Clinic which is the most popular. They generally appear in court and plead you case for you so you dont have to miss work. Depending on your driving record (sounds like one other speeding ticket, which is not bad) you will probably get withhold adjudication (No Points) and court costs to be determined by the Judge or Magistrate, plus I think most Ticket Clinics charge a flat rate of $150.00.

Good luck and Keep Us posted on your Outcome.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
Lawl you guys who hate are hilarious. Slalom king at 40 mph yeah I am CRAZY behind the wheel of a car! Not to hate myself but I am pretty sure that 93 mph on a public road is a tad more unsafe than signaling around a couple cones going "wheeeee". :bellyroll:

Edit: Oh you are from Jersey that explains the hate. Carry on good sir.

Whatever you say slalom king..

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
93 miles an hour in a 60 is just plain Reckless, period. You are very lucky you were not arrested for Reckless driving.

No no no, I'm in Canada! I was going 93KM/h.
And as I said, I only sped up temporarily to get ahead of the wall of too-slow drivers. I signalled while switching lanes and did not disrupt any drivers in the process. It was a fluke that the officer was right there as I was doing it... but if I didn't have that 2 seconds of increased speed I wouldn't be able to successfully switch lanes.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
Well...I don't think you were going 90+, as that would have put you at almost twice the velocity of other cars and you would have looked like a maniac -- and why would I step out into the street in front of driving maniac in order to give him/her a ticket? That seems a little like radar BS, but is irrelevant anyway because you were CLEARLY speeding.

The right citizen thing to do would be to pay it if you can afford it, BUT you already said that your insurance premiums sky-rocketed the last time. For just plain financial survival, I say try anything legal that can possibly get you out of this jam, and then, seriously take it easy on the throttle from now on.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Fight it to get it dropped.

Ontario insurances don't care about demerit points and/or how fast you were going above the limit (unless it was 50 over). They care about CONVICTIONS which means if you went 49 km/h over, it will be the same as 1 km/h over.

Once you get 2 minor convictions, your rates will increase dramatically depending on your insurance company.

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
Fight it to get it dropped.

Ontario insurances don't care about demerit points and/or how fast you were going above the limit (unless it was 50 over). They care about CONVICTIONS which means if you went 49 km/h over, it will be the same as 1 km/h over.

Once you get 2 minor convictions, your rates will increase dramatically depending on your insurance company.

yay finally a fellow canadian's response!

I definitely want to try and fight it, I'm just praying that by doing so they don't reverse the reduction of speed and put it back at 33+ over. But if I get x-copper to respresent me I might have better chances. I'd rather pay $150 with them then deal with ANOTHER $1200/year increase :cry:

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
No no no, I'm in Canada! I was going 93KM/h.
And as I said, I only sped up temporarily to get ahead of the wall of too-slow drivers. I signalled while switching lanes and did not disrupt any drivers in the process. It was a fluke that the officer was right there as I was doing it... but if I didn't have that 2 seconds of increased speed I wouldn't be able to successfully switch lanes.

ah! that makes more sense. yeah, it was a trap, I had the exact same thing happen to me back in high school (passing at 55 in a 35mph zone). the officer walked right into the middle of the street, but he was really nice about the whole thing.

although i would pay it, nice guy or not, your situation is different. i don't have any existing tickets, but you...again, i would try something--anything to avoid that insurance premium spike.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
yay finally a fellow canadian's response!

I definitely want to try and fight it, I'm just praying that by doing so they don't reverse the reduction of speed and put it back at 33+ over. But if I get x-copper to respresent me I might have better chances. I'd rather pay $150 with them then deal with ANOTHER $1200/year increase :cry:

They cannot charge you with an offense that isn't on the ticket (ie. increase the speed of the offense). However, there might be some additional markings on the ticket (maybe an "R" or "S" or something) by the police officer that will signify to the judge that it this ticket has been reduced already and make the judge side with the police officer. Check your ticket to see if there are any markings of such.

Don't both with X-Copper. If you go with X-Copper, just make sure they tell them that you want the ticket thrown out. Usually they try to make the charges reduced, but fail to get the ticket thrown out. This is NOT what you want.

Just request a court date. When you get one, request a first attendance meeting before the court date. Then at the meeting, talk to the clerk and then finalize a court date. This will probably be more than a year from the original offense. Chances are, the police officer will not show up.

Also, where was the ticket issued? Peel region?

kashak

Ready to race!
Go fill out the trial option form and just show up in court in 3-6 months or so. Chances are he won't show up. He still has to even if you plead guilty on the form. Done this every time :)

kashak

Ready to race!
Well...I don't think you were going 90+, as that would have put you at almost twice the velocity of other cars and you would have looked like a maniac -- and why would I step out into the street in front of driving maniac in order to give him/her a ticket? That seems a little like radar BS, but is irrelevant anyway because you were CLEARLY speeding.

The right citizen thing to do would be to pay it if you can afford it, BUT you already said that your insurance premiums sky-rocketed the last time. For just plain financial survival, I say try anything legal that can possibly get you out of this jam, and then, seriously take it easy on the throttle from now on.

She said she was from Canada(km/h)

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
They cannot charge you with an offense that isn't on the ticket (ie. increase the speed of the offense). However, there might be some additional markings on the ticket (maybe an "R" or "S" or something) by the police officer that will signify to the judge that it this ticket has been reduced already and make the judge side with the police officer. Check your ticket to see if there are any markings of such.

Don't both with X-Copper. If you go with X-Copper, just make sure they tell them that you want the ticket thrown out. Usually they try to make the charges reduced, but fail to get the ticket thrown out. This is NOT what you want.

Just request a court date. When you get one, request a first attendance meeting before the court date. Then at the meeting, talk to the clerk and then finalize a court date. This will probably be more than a year from the original offense. Chances are, the police officer will not show up.

Also, where was the ticket issued? Peel region?

I'm scanning over the ticket and I definitely don't see any odd markings like an S or R.

So if I try to extend the process as much as possible, insurance won't know of my offense until it's finalized in court, right?

And yes, peel region, known for it's low-life twisted sneaky cops :mad0259: