GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment not connecting on start-up - ideas please

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi. I've had the Golf for a week. I've had the following problem twice over the weekend. When I turn the ignition on and start the engine, the infotainment screen remains blank - no clock. When I press the infotainment on button, again, nothing happens. It all stays off. I switch off the engine and restart and the infotainment screen comes on and all is well.

Anyone else have this problem and if so, what was the cure ? (I hope it's not a dealer trip ....:(

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
I had it once, after having the car three days. Took it to the dealer so they could see it before I switched off and on again. They witnessed it, then switched ignition off and back on which reset everything back to normal. They asked me to bring it back if the fault recurred. It hasn't so far!

GP

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks GolfPilot for a reassuring post. I don't really want the sparkies at the dealer tinkering with the innards of my brand new car unless they have to, so I'll follow your example and wait.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I have also experienced this on our 1.4 TSI twice. The Radio Composition Media (if that’s what you have in your car) is rather advanced, more like a computer than a radio I believe. Computers we restart now and then of unknown reasons…..

I ran an “Autoscan” with VCDS a week ago on our TSI 1.4 122 an there were no errors stored.

I also don’t want anyone to try fixing something that haven’t got any "fault".

Enjoy your car :)!

/Peter

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, Peter TheSwede - again, encouraging advice. And I agree, the Composition Media (which I have), is definitely more like a computer and with the same type of problems. So I'll keep watching....

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I've found the cause. The infotainment system is a computer not a radio. So it takes time to boot up, as any PC does. So if I wait 10-20 seconds after I have switched on, the clock appears on the screen showing its ready. I then switch on the infotainment and it's all working. Following this routine, I haven't had a problem these last 48 hours. Touch wood....

iAmLodi

Ready to race!
There is a thread somewhere on the forum with quite a few other people mentioning similar problems. Apparently it is a software issue that VW is already aware of and working on, or so I've read...

iAmLodi

Ready to race!

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I think I've found the cause. The infotainment system is a computer not a radio. So it takes time to boot up, as any PC does. So if I wait 10-20 seconds after I have switched on, the clock appears on the screen showing its ready. I then switch on the infotainment and it's all working. Following this routine, I haven't had a problem these last 48 hours. Touch wood....

20 seconds?? Being honest that still doesn't sound right. Im lazy and never turn the system off I just let it shut off when I open the door. It restarts almost instantly when I restart the car I have the standard comp media without nav. I didn't know you could even display a clock.

Does the park assist screen come on okay or is that delayed as well

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
20 seconds?? Being honest that still doesn't sound right. Im lazy and never turn the system off I just let it shut off when I open the door. It restarts almost instantly when I restart the car I have the standard comp media without nav. I didn't know you could even display a clock.

Does the park assist screen come on okay or is that delayed as well
Hi Chris43. I've got the composition media plus Discover non-Pro. Since I've posted the above, I haven't had a problem. And to be fair, the clock is now appearing within 5 seconds (set-up is an option under either "Car" or "Menu" , I can't remember which). And I've also got back into the habit of just switching off the ignition rather than the system first. And yes Parkpilot comes on fine as soon as I engage R. So it may have just gone away. I hope ...

testcard

Ready to race!
I've never turned off my Composition Media System manually when leaving the car. On startup, the screen is live immediately, and showing that my iPhone has connected through Bluetooth. Likewise, Park Assist shows immediately on reversing out of the garage.

Last edited:

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never turned off my Composition Media System manually when leaving the car. On startup, the screen is live within 5 seconds, and showing that my iPhone has connected through Bluetooth. Likewise, Park Assist shows immediately on reversing out of the garage.
Thanks. I'll try that approach.

Switched my system on today after engine on for 5min and did not think anything of it till I noticed the touch screen was black as if the system was off but my music was playing?
Switched the system off and on several times for the same blank screen and music playing after switching off ignition the system was back to normal. Hope it's a glitch and a one off.

corfyboy

Passed Driver's Ed
They have a screen saver in the set up mine defaults to a clock face I did set that when I first got mine last week just check your settings can't remember what it under without playing in mi car