GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone docks

whisk91

Hey guys,

Looking at getting a nice phone dock for the car. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I have an iPhone 5s, and would prefer something that's not too bulky and looks nice in the car.

Cheers

mlewando

Ready to race!
Brodit?

Hughmungus

Hi, I have a Brodit o/s vent bracket with and active adjustable Brodit mount. They are not cheap though. I originally bought it for the 4 but took the cable out by undoing two clamp screws from the back and then super glue a lightning cable and re clamping it.

I have had to buy another cable for IOS7 because of the charging error all seems to be ok so far. Its a black flat cable from Amazon and fits behind the trim (un clips as it does in the MK6) just above the steering column and hard wired an accessory socket in for the USB plug all hidden behind the dash.

There is an alternative Brodit type phone mount now but much cheaper, you will still need the Brodit mount to screw it to though (unless you want a suction mount) but will save you £20 or £30. See here http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/Fix2Car.htm?phone=Apple%2CiPhone+5S These are not adjustable so with a case on would be very tight (see reviews) you could do a bit of careful dremelling to open it up a bit I guess.

Last edited:

kevin1

I too went for the Broidit http://www.dsldevelopments.com for my iPhone 5S.

I have:
  • Brodit Volkswagen Golf VII Brodit ProClip Center mount 2013 AND
  • Brodit 514435 Adjustable Holder Cable Attachment with Lightning to USB Cable for Apple iPhone 5/5S

The lip on the clip doesn't actually grab the rear of the vent which is it supposed to do, but none the less is does remain securely in place - it hasn't fallen off once in over a year - which is a lot more that I can say for the old TomTom iphone 4 mount I used on my old car.

There is more that one Adjustable holder that fits the iPhone 5s - depending on whether you keep it in cover or not and also how big the cover is. Also there are other mounts available, including one for the vent to the right (UK) of the steering wheel.

I use mine with an official Apple Leather cover and it slips into the holder easily and connect to the lightening connector.

Note you need to supply you own lightening cable and only the official Apple ones will fit.

whisk91

Thanks guys

Seems like the Brodit is the way to go. Would be awesome if there was something that fit a bit more with the look of the car but I guess its more important that it actually holds the phone first.

Z27

Ready to race!
When installing the pro-clip center vent mount, instructions say that we have to use the double sided tape.

Is it necessary? Has anyone tried to remove the tape altogether and let it "snap in"??

Z27

Ready to race!
Can you upload a photo?

Z27

Ready to race!
Great! Will look into it. Has it fallen off on you?

testcard

Ready to race!
Not once - it's incredibly secure. The rear jaws are made of a flexible polyurethane material and grip the vanes securely. I've owned several phone mounts over the last few years and it's the only one I'd recommend. They also do a larger version to fit phones such as the iPhone 6 plus.