GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Solution for missing album art

stevew09

Ready to race!
Album art..... I also have been getting seemingly sporadic album art display on my Discover media unit.

Jpg files can be compressed using two different algorithms, baseline and progressive. The difference is progressive allows the jpeg to be drawn in lower quality first, then as more data is received the jpg becomes more detailed. This type is used mainly on the web, so when using a slow internet connection it initially allows a very poor quality image to be displayed. A baseline image will not be displayed at all until all the data for the image is received.

It appears the Discover media unit does not support Progressive encoded .jpg files and so it ends up not displaying the album art.

So I, like probably many others, when getting my album art from the internet, unknowingly end up with a mixture of progressive and baseline encoded images. This manifests itself with the sporadic displaying of album art depending on album.

When I converted my progressive jpg's to baseline jpg's the album art is now consistently displayed. It will also display images up to a resolution of 500 x 500.

Hope this help people, it took me a few months of investigation to figure this out.

Steve

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Nice tip - thanks Steve. Need to sort out my album artwork as some displays and some doesn't. I think the composition unit only supports 400 x 400 though.

stevew09

Ready to race!
Nice tip - thanks Steve. Need to sort out my album artwork as some displays and some doesn't. I think the composition unit only supports 400 x 400 though.

Glad to help.

I used a free windows paint program called GIMP to convert the images I had.

When I experimented on my unit anything over 500 x 500 would not display. Maybe worth checking if the composition is the same (I suspect it may be but cannot test this).

CesarDRK

When you talk about album art you mean .jpeg files embedded in the MP3 file off the SD card? Or separate .jpeg files in folders off the SD card, or even album art from an iPod or iPhone?

Thanks.

redbutcher

Ready to race!
When you talk about album art you mean .jpeg files embedded in the MP3 file off the SD card? Or separate .jpeg files in folders off the SD card, or even album art from an iPod or iPhone?

Thanks.

Pics embedded in the mp3 files being played back from the SD card. The composition unit only supports album art embedded in the mp3 files.

stevew09

Ready to race!
The discover media until supports embedded jpg or an artwork jpg in the folder.

If you put a file in the folder the tracks need to have no embedded artwork (as far as I can tell)

I've got 500x500 displaying reliably on my Discover system.

I put the SD card together, by dragging and dropping folders, grouped under artist, as iTunes does it, then I went through the whole lot, album by album, replacing the artwork using Mp3tag (shareware of internet). I used the closest available to 500x500, making sure that I didn't save any other artwork which may have been attached (the software gives you the option).

redbutcher

Ready to race!
The discover media until supports embedded jpg or an artwork jpg in the folder.

If you put a file in the folder the tracks need to have no embedded artwork (as far as I can tell)

That's interesting as much easier to go with the artwork.jpg option - wonder if the composition system supports the same as I'd prefer that option. Right, time to try it out...

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Have a gold star Steve - artwork.jpg works perfectly if placed in the folder :D.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Think Discover Pro has a built in artwork database as mine displays album artwork without there being any on my memory stick! Gracenotes or something like IIRC....

stevew09

Ready to race!
Over the weekend I finished converted all my progressive jpgs to baseline.

As I keep all my music in flac format (master digital copy) I then used a flac windows command line tool to replace the embedded artwork on all the effected albums. Once I had done this I converted all my flac albums to wma and put them back on my freshly formatted SD card.

Album art is now showing for all albums :D

Wolksvagen

Banned
Think Discover Pro has a built in artwork database as mine displays album artwork without there being any on my memory stick! Gracenotes or something like IIRC....

That's good to hear, I'm having a few issues getting all my artwork to display on the current Discover Nav.

Artwork is limited to 500x500 @ 100kb or less, what is the limit on the Discover Pro system?

I've spec'ed the pro system on my pending next Mk7 (may/june(ish))

stevew09

Ready to race!
That's good to hear, I'm having a few issues getting all my artwork to display on the current Discover Nav.

Artwork is limited to 500x500 @ 100kb or less, what is the limit on the Discover Pro system?

I've spec'ed the pro system on my pending next Mk7 (may/june(ish))

Not a direct answer to your question, however on the Discover Media (not the pro) the limit is more than 100kb. I used a 500 x 500 image that was 110kb and it was displayed, as soon as I went over 500 x 500 nothing.