GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone successfully installed the homelink mirror?

brjohnso

I'm trying to install the homelink mirror (the Volkswagen part) for models with rain sensors. I've got the mechanical parts sorted, but the connector on the T-cable from the new mirror does not appear to match anything in the upper console. The Mirror has one brown wire, and one tan/black wire, so perhaps I can just cut the cable and splice it in? The T-cable has about 3 feet of wire, so that makes be wonder. Where does it connect to in the car?

Thanks,

focalBlur

Passed Driver's Ed
I have not done it but I have seen a post elsewhere about it. That wire goes down the A pillar and plugs into the headlight switch. The other end of the "T" goes to the cars wiring harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brjohnso

I have not done it but I have seen a post elsewhere about it. That wire goes down the A pillar and plugs into the headlight switch. The other end of the "T" goes to the cars wiring harness

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Getting the wire routed from the mirror to the headlight switch appears difficult. the headliner and the A-pilar trim is really hard to remove. It seems like the plastic trim pieces that cover the wires will need to be modified slightly to fit as well since the base of the mirror is slightly larger.

brjohnso

Followup. The "C" part does indeed fit, with some minor modifications on a 2017 Autobahn GTI. I have it installed and working. I'm going to need some help from the dealer to get the driver-side A-pilar trim straightened out, I think some clips are jammed, and try as I may, they will neither release or go back on completely. One thing that I have not seen mentioned, is that you will have to modify the top trim piece that fits around the mirror with a Dremel tool to make it fit. Pretty simple, and it looks fine.

1. Remove the upper console first. First use a pry tool to remove the inner part with the buttons. That will reveal two T-20? torx screws. Remove them. Then remove the trim piece around the three buttons at the back of the upper console. It pops right off. This will reveal 2 more screws. Remove them. This will release the rest of the upper console, and you should be able to remove it. NOTE: I removed the top trim piece around the mirror first, but it was tricky, so I think this will work better. If the mirror trim bocks removal of the upper console, you might have to reverse the order.

2. There are two trim pieces around the old mirror, the top trim piece attaches to the upper console, so by removing the upper console first, removing the upper trim piece should be fairly straightforward. The bottom trim piece is removed by pulling down on it. There are small rails on the part.

3. Remove the old mirror by grabbing the base and twisting counter clockwise about 30 degrees. Be careful. Don't push or pull much or you could break the windshield.

4. Put on the new mirror with the reverse procedure.

5. The cable on the mirror connects to the back of the headlight switch. There is a long harness included with the kit for this purpose. It is easiest to start at the switch, and route the cable to the mirror because it will be more obvious how to easily get across the headliner.

6. Remove the side of the instrument panel ( it just pries off, but takes some force).

7. Remove the headlight switch. There is a trick to this. Turn the switch off... then press in (it will go in a few mm)... Then turn the switch half-way to on... then pull... It should pup right out. (Weird, but it works.)

8. Now you can run the harness in the side of the instrument panel to the switch, and connect it to the switch.

9. Route the cable up the A-pilar, to the headliner. This is tricky. Removing the panel is where I had trouble. If I was doing it again, remove only the top part to help it fishing the cable across the headliner.

10. Getting it across the headliner is easy. Just run it along the top of the windshield, and wiggle it back and forth in a sawing action and it will slide back into the headliner.

11. Run what is left over to the mirror, and connect the cable to the mirror.

12. Reattach the bottom trim piece to the new mirror. It should fit. It slides up on two rails.

13. When you try to put on the to trim piece, you will see that it does not fit because the stalk of the new mirror is a little bigger. Using a file or a dremel tool, cut a U-shaped clearance for the stalk in the lower part of the trim piece. It will be fairly obvious what you have to do. It's easy, and looks fine.

14. Pop on the modified trim piece and re-install the console.

15. Programming instructions for the mirror are included with the kit.

focalBlur

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it roughly the same mirror and same electrical connections then for non-rain sensors? I'm not clear why it taps the headlight switch.

Auto dimming should only come on when it's dark outside, needs to know when the headlights are on and needs power from somewhere

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
My friends wrx limited has one. It has a photodiode at the bottom that looks for bright light coming through the back and then it dims. I had just sort of assumed they all work like that. Bummer this only works with the headlights on.