GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi aluminum subframe on Mk7 Gti

LeGti

Ready to race!
Here are a few preliminary findings from trial fitting an Audi A3 / S3 8V aluminum subframe to a Mk7 Gti:

All machined holes in the aluminum piece match the pressed steel version (main subframe - body bolt holes, A-arm bushing mounting holes, steering rack fixture holes, arb mounting points. Weight is down almost three kilos (6 lbs or so) according to my entirely unscientific measuring device).

The piece is simply beautiful. Cast aluminum, machined mounting surfaces, reinforcement webbing on all chamfers, etc etc. Just by looking at it, images of CAD designing, production blueprinting, fiery casting and precision machining come to mind.

Really can't say whether the aluminum subframe is any stiffer / better than the pressed steel version, but why would VAG produce it and equip the more expensive A3/S3 with it otherwise?

Regardless, if it makes it on (under!) my Gti, and even if no-one else ever sees it, it will give me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I drive my "econo-hatch" ;-) 3

Final fitment will hopefully take place tomorrow and I will of course update this thread. In the meantime, here are a few pics taken with my ancient camera (pro pics will come whenever I'm authorized to release them):

Final fitment validation tomorrow les amis!!

(I dig this so much it's sad. Are we all just nuts??? ;-)

Last edited:

greatoz

Ready to race!
gak. urk. yeah. if this fits perfectly I'm doing it. period dot end of story.

thanks for the teaser pics mon ami!

tGo

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
It looks like the entire subframe would have to be removed to replace the front sway bar! :eek: I'm curious, do you know what the bend along the sway bar is giving way to? Also, which sway bar is that?

Are you using OEM bushing or aftermarket upgraded?
What lower control arms are those? They surely don't look like Audi!

Great job and thanks for taking point on this project! I think there should be some stickies with you as the OP! ;)

LeGti

Ready to race!
Defo not sticky worthy, but thank you.

Pics show aluminum Audi subframe and aftermarket (SuperPro) A-arms mounted on their trick bushings...

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Looks great man, mega $ mods here with the subframe and arms! Please post pictures and a review of them when your done. I spoke with the US distributor for SuperPro at WaterFest21 and he was telling me that the additional caster with the arms car cause some significant rubbing if you don't have ample wheel clearance... unfortunately I fall in that category with my setup or I would buy these arms in a heartbeat :(. I look forward to hearing your feedback though!

LeGti

Ready to race!
Looks great man, mega $ mods here with the subframe and arms! Please post pictures and a review of them when your done. I spoke with the US distributor for SuperPro at WaterFest21 and he was telling me that the additional caster with the arms car cause some significant rubbing if you don't have ample wheel clearance... unfortunately I fall in that category with my setup or I would buy these arms in a heartbeat :(. I look forward to hearing your feedback though!

The parts are imho completely worth it based on manufacturing quality
alone. And if they perform as well as they are made, then I'm in for a double treat ;-)

The A-arm rear bushings are pretty trick: rose joint around which the bushing is molded, with reinforcing bearings.

The added caster comes at the expense of lengthening wheelbase. That makes clearance on the front/top side of the front tires tighter. And extra-width /offset wheels can exceed that clearance.

I was really set on 8.5 x 18 Et 45 wheels with 245/35s. But if these SuperPro parts give me enough new grip from my current 225s, I may just stick with that size with its lighter weight... Btw, did you post pics somewhere of your wheel well mods?

LeGti

Ready to race!
how much does this aluminum subframe cost?

Around 350 USD iirc. Will check.

More gratuitous pic sharing:

Not directly subframerelated, butthis SuperPro A-Arm rear bushing is quite trick:

So pretty... Hope final fitment works ok, and that the end result will be worth the time and money!!

LeGti

Ready to race!
Kicking myself for not having the DP and boost hoses available for install: so much easier with the subframe out of the way! Ah well, c'est la vie as they say...

LeGti

Ready to race!
[...]

the additional caster with the arms car cause some significant rubbing if you don't have ample wheel clearance... unfortunately I fall in that category with my setup or I would buy these arms in a heartbeat :(. I look forward to hearing your feedback though!

Check out these wide fenders (you might have already seen them?):

http://srs-tec.de/cars/VW/Golf-VII/....html?XTCsid=27eba558f27250ff928ac3cc7d0a4956

Pretty expensive though... But they seem to work with the OEM bumper and I suspect most of the rubbing from lower offset/wider wheels and tires at full lock and compression would occur near where the bumper meets the fender (say 2 O'clock when looking at the passenger side wheel arch).

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Check out these wide fenders (you might have already seen them?):

http://srs-tec.de/cars/VW/Golf-VII/....html?XTCsid=27eba558f27250ff928ac3cc7d0a4956

Pretty expensive though... But they seem to work with the OEM bumper and I suspect most of the rubbing from lower offset/wider wheels and tires at full lock and compression would occur near where the bumper meets the fender (say 2 O'clock when looking at the passenger side wheel arch).

Yeah, I modded my fenders pretty extensively and still have some slight rubbing at times on one side with the spacers up front that I needed to clear the BBK. I actually contacted SRS-Tec about these a few weeks back and ordered their rear spoiler to see find out their quality. If the spoiler turns out well, I am going to get these fenders too. Once they come out with a camber solution I will likely invest in these arms if they are as good as they seem.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Weighed the subframes: aluminum version is 3 Kg (6.6 or so lbs) lighter than the stamped steel.

Superpro A-arms are 500g (about 1 lb) lighter each than their OEM counterparts.

So nothing home to write home about in terms of weight gains, until the added stiffness (supposed until proven - but very very likely) is taken into consideration: stiffer and lighter? Hell ya!!

We still haven't finished buttoning everything up, so tomorrow we'll take it easy and torque all the bolts to spec with the wheels down during the alignment process.

Stay tuned :)