GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 R vs 370z

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
You’re wrong. Dsg is better from a roll also, there simply isn’t any boost dump on shifts, the more shifts the more the distance grows. Unless the gearing is way different on manual vs dsg gti’s, the boost dump on shifts really hurts.

Gearing is different.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
4.77 versus 3.42. But, the dsg 5th and 6th are worthless unless you got a bigger turbo.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Gotcha, just looked em up, guess you gti guys are way different than the R’s

GTI Gear Ratios
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Final
6MT 3.76 2.03 1.46 1.08 0.88 0.74 3.42
DSG 2.92 1.79 1.14 0.78 0.58 0.46 4.77

I found these also, for a 16 gti, maybe a change at some point? Otherwise maybe above is wrong? Either way here’s what I found, found it interesting anyway.

http://media.vw.com/doc/1729/759942923566f0c5861a54.pdf

What I found on the R’s, just for reference, anyway like I said bigger difference than I thought for you gti’s 6m vs dsg gearing, woulda thought the gti, being a perf variant would have had better gearing in the dsg if not the same as the R. I learned something new about gti’s today :)

http://media.vw.com/doc/1342/16639762254eb40c8bd4a5.pdf

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just for informations sake, you can hit the limiter in the GTI (123mph, on the US spec car, stock) in 4th gear in the manual.

So if you're racing from 60, it literally is only one shift to get to 120. From 40 you'd obviously be at more of a disadvantage having to shift from 2nd to 3rd and then into 4th to complete the pass.

Last edited:

ashiun

Ready to race!
Gotcha, just looked em up, guess you gti guys are way different than the R’s

GTI Gear Ratios
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Final
6MT 3.76 2.03 1.46 1.08 0.88 0.74 3.42
DSG 2.92 1.79 1.14 0.78 0.58 0.46 4.77

I found these also, for a 16 gti, maybe a change at some point? Otherwise maybe above is wrong? Either way here’s what I found, found it interesting anyway.

http://media.vw.com/doc/1729/759942923566f0c5861a54.pdf

What I found on the R’s, just for reference, anyway like I said bigger difference than I thought for you gti’s 6m vs dsg gearing, woulda thought the gti, being a perf variant would have had better gearing in the dsg if not the same as the R. I learned something new about gti’s today :)

http://media.vw.com/doc/1342/16639762254eb40c8bd4a5.pdf

Jeeze. Really? I had thought 2nd gear (and all other gears, of course) was insanely tall in the 6MT already... and DSG is even taller? LOL no wonder 6MT guys seem to spin our tires way more easily than our DSG counterparts in lower gears...

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Jeeze. Really? I had thought 2nd gear (and all other gears, of course) was insanely tall in the 6MT already... and DSG is even taller? LOL no wonder 6MT guys seem to spin our tires way more easily than our DSG counterparts in lower gears...

Gears are taller, but the final drive ratio is shorter. You have to multiply them to get the actual ratio. DSG is actually shorter in the low gears, taller in the high gears. Also explains some of the 0-60 advantage (in addition to faster shifting).

Gear 1 2 3 4 5 6
6MT 12.8592 6.9426 4.9932 3.6936 3.0096 2.5308

DSG 13.9284 8.5383 5.4378 3.7206 2.7666 2.1942

SLOWR

Ready to race!
So after reading some comments here, I would like to comment first hand after actually racing my friends 370z automatic in (stock) form. I have a golf r dsg which is stock as well. We raced from a roll on the highway from around 80 km/h (50mph) and it was pretty tight give or take a few feet until about 160km/h (100 mph) and that's when the 370z started pulling on me in the golf r. I hit about 230 km/h (142 mph) and he was about 2 car lengths ahead of me. I feel like the stock golf r engine power just feels flat after 180-200 km/h.

Last edited:

KyleSMTL

Car(s)
Lighting McQueen
I went from a mkv gti to a 370 and back to a mk7 with a tune and having a g37 sedan as a daily in between. Either vq car stands no chance to an r or gti with the mildest of tunes. My 370 would have gotten walked by my gti when I was jb1 (now Ed stage 2). 37s stand no chance and 35s are that much further behind. 370zs are trapping 5-10 mph lower than stage 2 gtis on average.
Hey man! I know this is an old thread but I’m about to buy a new car for myself as I’m tired of my 2010 civic. My two options I’ve decided on are either, sell my civic and get a mk7 GTI and go EQT stage 2 with supporting mods, or my other option was to keep my civic as a winter car and get a 370z to use when there is no snow on the ground. As someone who’s owned both these cars what do you think is a better option. I know this is a difficult question but I was just opinions from people who have had both a 370z and gti

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
In the interest of full disclosure, I have only driven a 370Z - never owned one. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on a VW forum who would recommend a 370Z over a GTI, myself included. Oh, and a stage 2 GTI would be quicker and arguably more fun to drive than a stock 370Z.

Now for a slightly less subjective response: Not sure if you read Car & Driver, but you'll notice that GTIs make frequent appearances on the annual C&D 10 Best List . Can't say I've ever seen a 370Z or even a 350Z on the list. So, no, not really a difficult question.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
In the interest of full disclosure, I have only driven a 370Z - never owned one. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on a VW forum who would recommend a 370Z over a GTI, myself included. Oh, and a stage 2 GTI would be quicker and arguably more fun to drive than a stock 370Z.

Now for a slightly less subjective response: Not sure if you read Car & Driver, but you'll notice that GTIs make frequent appearances on the annual C&D 10 Best List . Can't say I've ever seen a 370Z or even a 350Z on the list. So, no, not really a difficult question.
"frequent appearances" is an understatement, it's first appearance was in 1983 and as of 2021 its had 15 consecutive wins. 5 other cars appear as many or more times including the Miata, Boxster, Corvette, BMW 3 series, and of course the Honda Accord. The Infinity G35 has made the list a couple of times and the G37 once. The 350Z made the list once, but don't think the 370Z ever did.

KyleSMTL

Car(s)
Lighting McQueen
"frequent appearances" is an understatement, it's first appearance was in 1983 and as of 2021 its had 15 consecutive wins. 5 other cars appear as many or more times including the Miata, Boxster, Corvette, BMW 3 series, and of course the Honda Accord. The Infinity G35 has made the list a couple of times and the G37 once. The 350Z made the list once, but don't think the 370Z ever
"frequent appearances" is an understatement, it's first appearance was in 1983 and as of 2021 its had 15 consecutive wins. 5 other cars appear as many or more times including the Miata, Boxster, Corvette, BMW 3 series, and of course the Honda Accord. The Infinity G35 has made the list a couple of times and the G37 once. The 350Z made the list once, but don't think the 370Z ever did.
Okay the VW community is kinda awesome with the activity on these threads. I’m sold going to pick up a mk7 gti very soon. For sure going to use EQT software to go stage 2.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Hey man! I know this is an old thread but I’m about to buy a new car for myself as I’m tired of my 2010 civic. My two options I’ve decided on are either, sell my civic and get a mk7 GTI and go EQT stage 2 with supporting mods, or my other option was to keep my civic as a winter car and get a 370z to use when there is no snow on the ground. As someone who’s owned both these cars what do you think is a better option. I know this is a difficult question but I was just opinions from people who have had both a 370z and gti
GTI will be more practical and refined. Quicker too, especially at stage 2. Here's a video of me stuck behind a WOT g35 while im barely on the gas (this was a low-torque tune too)

The only real downside is you can't drift it lol. I used to chase a 370z thru canyons and that car seemed more planted at higher speed cornering, but also showed its weight in tighter, slower corners

Last edited: