GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ACC / Driver Assistance Package

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Well, I don't have it, but I'd think anything that braked or adjusted speed dramatically would cause you to potentially stall, as the ACC and the like can't push the clutch in, nor can it down shift. My questions is pretty much about that--when the electronics are trying to adjust speed, and you're say in sixth, how does it handle that without stalling or bogging? Other manufacturers have stated that they find these driving aids impractical for non-automatic transmissions cars, so I was simply curious.

good point.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I mean, naturally cruise control works on manual cars, though not being able to shift makes it useful for fewer conditions IMO (never use it, as I don't drive long highway miles much any more). It's the collision avoidance and lane stuff I'm mostly curious about.

One of the reasons often cited for the decline in manual transmissions is that these sorts of technical marvels are not well suited to that type of system. I'm not an engineer, but it seems pretty logical that this would be so.

Well, I don't have it, but I'd think anything that braked or adjusted speed dramatically would cause you to potentially stall, as the ACC and the like can't push the clutch in, nor can it down shift...

I use it every day for about 50 miles of my morning commute. I've never had a problem with almost stalling. You would have to stop pretty dramatically from 65mph in 6th gear to cause it to stall. If the car is stopping that rapidly, you should take control of the vehicle anyway. Remember, ACC is only an aid.

... It's the collision avoidance and lane stuff I'm mostly curious about.

I don't have the lane assist, but I can tell you that the forward collision warning and braking do work. Although, I do find it to be too aggressive for So Cal traffic on the stock/normal setting. You can change it to "late" from the settings.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I don't have the lane assist, but I can tell you that the forward collision warning and braking do work. Although, I do find it to be too aggressive for So Cal traffic on the stock/normal setting. You can change it to "late" from the settings.

That's what I'm curious about, really, what happens when the collision warning stuff brakes you, which I assume would be pretty sudden? Unless you instantly jump on the clutch, it would seem (never been in a car with such a feature though) that you'd be likely to stall?

rfc89747

Ready to race!
The collision warning should never break you so quickly unless you are about to get into an accident, at which point who cares if you stall it just saved your ass from crashing. Sometimes my parking sensors go off during slow rolling traffic which is pretty annoying, and I have had my collision warning go off and stop the vehicle when I quickly applied breaks in a slow rolling traffic scenario when I'm pretty sure I could have easily stopped on my own. It has never suddenly tried to stop me from 60 for no reason though (which is when you would have a problem needing to downshift instantly to avoid a stall).

As for the ACC and manual. As I have said in my previous post, pressing the clutch and shifting does not turn off the cruise control. So, it actually works quite normally with 6MT. Say you are on the highway with ACC set to 60MPH and you are in 6th gear, but then you approach a guy going 45. ACC will begin to slow your speed down to 45 MPH, as it slows you down, you realize you are slowing down, then you downshift to 5th, and it will continue to slow you down/hold speed/or accelerate depending on what the traffic in front of you is doing. When the slow poke gets out of your lane ACC will begin to increase speed to 60MPH again, and you can shift back into 6th. Throughout that scenario ACC is never disabled.

Last edited:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The collision warning should never break you so quickly unless you are about to get into an accident, at which point who cares if you stall it just saved your ass from crashing. Sometimes my parking sensors go off during slow rolling traffic which is pretty annoying, and I have had my collision warning go off and stop the vehicle when I quickly applied breaks in a slow rolling traffic scenario when I'm pretty sure I could have easily stopped on my own. It has never suddenly tried to stop me from 60 for no reason though (which is when you would have a problem needing to downshift instantly to avoid a stall).

As for the ACC and manual. As I have said in my previous post, pressing the clutch and shifting does not turn off the cruise control. So, it actually works quite normally with 6MT. Say you are on the highway with ACC set to 60MPH and you are in 6th gear, but then you approach a guy going 45. ACC will begin to slow your speed down to 45 MPH, as it slows you down, you realize you are slowing down, then you downshift to 5th, and it will continue to slow your down/hold speed/or accelerate depending on what the traffic in front of you is doing. When the slow poke gets out of your lane ACC will begin to increase speed to 60MPH again, and you can shift back into 6th. Throughout that scenario ACC is never disabled.

Thanks; that's the sort of detail I was interested in.

nate704

Go Kart Champion

As for the ACC and manual. As I have said in my previous post, pressing the clutch and shifting does not turn off the cruise control. So, it actually works quite normally with 6MT. Say you are on the highway with ACC set to 60MPH and you are in 6th gear, but then you approach a guy going 45. ACC will begin to slow your speed down to 45 MPH, as it slows you down, you realize you are slowing down, then you downshift to 5th, and it will continue to slow you down/hold speed/or accelerate depending on what the traffic in front of you is doing. When the slow poke gets out of your lane ACC will begin to increase speed to 60MPH again, and you can shift back into 6th. Throughout that scenario ACC is never disabled.

but it doesn't work quiet well in "Stop and go" traffic under 10 mph

but it doesn't work quiet well in "Stop and go" traffic under 10 mph

Off-topic slightly, but...

It shouldn't.

In all seriousness... ACC was never intended for stop and go traffic (nor is any cruise control for that matter). From a safely standpoint, you should not be using it in that type of situation.

If someone wanted driving automation, they should have gotten a Tesla. Many more sensors and logic built in to the system.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Off-topic slightly, but...

It shouldn't.

In all seriousness... ACC was never intended for stop and go traffic (nor is any cruise control for that matter). From a safely standpoint, you should not be using it in that type of situation.

If someone wanted driving automation, they should have gotten a Tesla. Many more sensors and logic built in to the system.

Yes, it was not intended for it, but it is very useful feature and works very well (with DSG of course) in that situation. your false statement about it being dangerous to use makes me laugh. Exactly what does it make so dangerous? Any proven data?
I want neither "driving automation" nor I expect my little golf to be like a Tesla.
I just don't want to hit gas and brake pedals 200 times in 2 minutes of driving in heavy traffic due to my lower back injuries from multiple combat deployments. :(

nate704

Go Kart Champion
(( facepalm ))

It's not supposed to. Anyone who wants to try to let his car drive itself in those conditions is stark raving mad, and a danger to himself and everyone else around him on the road.

double facepalm :p

Please read my response above :cool:

lokerola

Ready to race!
I have it and it's OK. I would prefer not to have it, but it comes standard with the Autobahn edition. I don't like the fact I can't disable it and run cruise control in a manual mode. I don't like the fact that if the radar gets out of alignment you get huge errors on the dash and the cruise control won't work. I guess I'm just an old analog guy who likes to make the decisions on how the car works, not the other way around.