GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ACC / Driver Assistance Package

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I am in the market for a Golf R and one of the features I am looking for is adaptive cruise control for lengthy highway stop and go traffic. Since a blue R with DSG and Nav is hard to find I am forced to online shop looking at pictures. Is there a sure fire way of telling if the car has ACC? I know some Golfs and GTIs have the giant sensor in the front grill, is it the same for the R?

starkberger

Yes, if it doesn't have the big sensor on the front it doesn't have it. That is as long as it is not the 7.5 redesign which will have it behind the VW logo (as far as I have read and seen at least).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
wait for the refresh, the adaptive camera will be hidden inside the VW logo .. looks much better IMHO than the cutout we have now.

Lstorm2003

Passed Driver's Ed
You know I thought I wanted the adaptive cruise control also, until I started driving with it. And while it's convenient sometimes it's also too intrusive at other times. If someone is changing lanes in front of you to get over to their exit the golf will slam on its brakes even if the car is just passing through your lane. You also may see a gap in the traffic that you can easily fit through, but the adaptive cruise control will not allow you to get too close to the car in front of you even if you are planning on changing lanes as soon as you pass a car to your right. Again the adaptive cruise control slams on the brakes and foils your plan.

Don't get me wrong I still like it, but I am disappointed there's no way to use the cruise control and disable the radar feature.

Lob-Star

Passed Driver's Ed
The tech package is so worth it. As others have said, look for the big sensor in the lower grill and the cut outs in the black above the mirror (those are for lane guidance and rain sensing apparently). The first time the car manages stop and go traffic for you is when you'll wonder where this tech has been all your life. I still can't believe my car can automatically take a bend on the freeway, maintain the distance from the car in front of me, and not be some super luxury car I'll never afford.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
The tech package is so worth it. As others have said, look for the big sensor in the lower grill and the cut outs in the black above the mirror (those are for lane guidance and rain sensing apparently). The first time the car manages stop and go traffic for you is when you'll wonder where this tech has been all your life. I still can't believe my car can automatically take a bend on the freeway, maintain the distance from the car in front of me, and not be some super luxury car I'll never afford.

This. I was so happy that I can relax my foot and hands during the stop and go traffic :D

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Does this stuff even work on a manual transmission car? If so, how well?

Mine has dsg, so I have no idea about the manual. I figured that the guys with manual prefer to have "connected" "pure driving" experience with their manual tranny than all that extra help from technology:p
I guess you have to push your clutch and row your stick while stuck in traffic. exercise time guys!

Daument

Ready to race!
It works with a 6mt car pretty well. The lane departure will warn you if you allow it to be active for several seconds without steering input from
you. The acc works pretty well and you can set the follow distance. My biggest complaint is that many other cars will squeeze into the gap and you find yourself going backwards.
I find the auto high beam to be the most useful.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
Works perfectly with the manual trans....why would it not? Also, you really shouldn't be relying on the lane assistance to go through bends on the highway....these aren't self driving cars. Even with everything that DAP comes with, you still need to pay attention to drive safely and defensively.

deathmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
You know I thought I wanted the adaptive cruise control also, until I started driving with it. And while it's convenient sometimes it's also too intrusive at other times. If someone is changing lanes in front of you to get over to their exit the golf will slam on its brakes even if the car is just passing through your lane. You also may see a gap in the traffic that you can easily fit through, but the adaptive cruise control will not allow you to get too close to the car in front of you even if you are planning on changing lanes as soon as you pass a car to your right. Again the adaptive cruise control slams on the brakes and foils your plan.

Don't get me wrong I still like it, but I am disappointed there's no way to use the cruise control and disable the radar feature.

x2. Sometimes it's a nice feature to have, but I still prefer having more control over the cruise control than just setting the distance. I wish there was a way to code it off in VCDS.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I have it with 6mt. It really cool at first, but it seems to get more and more annoying every day. It seems overly sensitive. Sometimes in stop and go I'll get collision alerts when I'm just driving normally. As far as the cruise slowing you down and then speeding you back up, it works normally but you obviously need to shift when necessary. The cool thing is that cruise is not broken by depressing the clutch like it is with a lot of cars. So, it will hold your speed/cruise even while shifting. Lane assist is also a cool novelty, but I usually have that off since it it kind of annoying pushing me around all the time.

Lstorm2003

Passed Driver's Ed
It works with a 6mt car pretty well. The lane departure will warn you if you allow it to be active for several seconds without steering input from
you. The acc works pretty well and you can set the follow distance. My biggest complaint is that many other cars will squeeze into the gap and you find yourself going backwards.

^^^ I AGREE

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Works perfectly with the manual trans....why would it not? Also, you really shouldn't be relying on the lane assistance to go through bends on the highway....these aren't self driving cars. Even with everything that DAP comes with, you still need to pay attention to drive safely and defensively.

Well, I don't have it, but I'd think anything that braked or adjusted speed dramatically would cause you to potentially stall, as the ACC and the like can't push the clutch in, nor can it down shift. My questions is pretty much about that--when the electronics are trying to adjust speed, and you're say in sixth, how does it handle that without stalling or bogging? Other manufacturers have stated that they find these driving aids impractical for non-automatic transmissions cars, so I was simply curious.