GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking sound

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 17 Sport with 315 miles on it. Had the car for one week now. Yesterday I noticed a "ticking" like sound when engine is bogged down a bit. Example would be when I almost come to a stop to pull into my driveway and accelerate briefly to 5-7 mph while pulling in the drive way I hear a ticking sound from the front of the car. Same thing happens when I pull into a parking spot, both forward and reverse. Doesn't do it every time but it's happened at least 4 times now. Almost sounds like something in the wheel well but I checked and everything seems normal.

I'll take a video and see if I can get it uploaded. Probably back to the dealer I'd assume...

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 17 Sport with about 1500 miles. I’m experiencing this same sound.
It’s consistent when turning slightly between 10-15mph. Sounds like a slight ticking or creaking.
Almost at lock when reversing out of a parking space sometimes it will be louder with like a binding feeling or popping noise.
I took it into the dealer this past week and they diagnosed as the cv joint on the driver side axle. I’m having it replaced this week, and I’ll keep you posted.
Please let me know if you solve this one OP. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 17 Sport with about 1500 miles. I’m experiencing this same sound.
It’s consistent when turning slightly between 10-15mph. Sounds like a slight ticking or creaking.
Almost at lock when reversing out of a parking space sometimes it will be louder with like a binding feeling or popping noise.
I took it into the dealer this past week and they diagnosed as the cv joint on the driver side axle. I’m having it replaced this week, and I’ll keep you posted.
Please let me know if you solve this one OP. Thanks.

I will absolutely keep you posted. I have a feeling mine is also the CV joint based on my research.

slide13

Ready to race!
I had a similar noise on my 17 Sport when I first got it. Slow speed turns into parking spots, but not at full lock. It eventually just went away. I’m at 10k miles now and I had forgotten about that until I read this. Probably stopped after the first couple thousand miles or so.

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a similar noise on my 17 Sport when I first got it. Slow speed turns into parking spots, but not at full lock. It eventually just went away. I’m at 10k miles now and I had forgotten about that until I read this. Probably stopped after the first couple thousand miles or so.

Interesting. Mine doesn't do it at full lock either. Same as what you describe. I'll still have them check it out just to be safe but if it's not an easy diagnosis, I'm hesitant to have them start messing with a bunch of things. Other than this, the car is perfect and a blast to drive.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I've heard some clicking at full lock before but only a couple times, gti se dsg with 500 mi on the clock. I also hear clicking in the trans going into first and second when the car is warm. Has anyone experienced that before?

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
I've heard some clicking at full lock before but only a couple times, gti se dsg with 500 mi on the clock. I also hear clicking in the trans going into first and second when the car is warm. Has anyone experienced that before?

My noise is definitely suspension related. Not engine or transmission. It’s also manual.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Cant view the video at work, but a common "ticking" at low RPM has been the fuel line clamps. Open the hood and have someone inside put a little pressure on the pedal. Push on the fuel line clamp and see if that's the noise. It should stop as soon as you touch it.

Dealer can put a new clip on if under warranty.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Dogbone Mount helps a to prevent engine rocking in it’s mounts. Mine would do it turning left acceleration. $35 fix