GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking sound

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE

Regional Service Rep had a look today. Obviously heard the sounds. Wants to try the passenger side axle. Said if that doesn’t work then they will order a new transmission as the next step.

Rep of said this is the first time he’s experienced this, especially on a car with so little miles. Leaning more towards transmission then diff but I’d guess both will be replaced because I’m almost 100% sure the passenger side axle will not solve the issue. The frustration continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puggin4Life

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE

Regional Service Rep had a look today and obviously heard the sounds. He decided he wants to have the passenger side axle replaced but didn’t seem confident. Stated that if that doesn’t solve it then there’s obviously a transmission issue and we will get that replaced. Didn’t seem concerned about the differential though so we will see. Funny thing it doesn’t make the sound when it’s on the lift. Only when you drive and turn the wheel about 45 degrees.

I’m almost 100% sure the passenger side axle won’t fix the issue but I understand why they don’t just order a transmission. The frustration of my brand new car continues.

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE

Regional Service Rep had a look today and obviously heard the sounds. He decided he wants to have the passenger side axle replaced but didn’t seem confident. Stated that if that doesn’t solve it then there’s obviously a transmission issue and we will get that replaced. Didn’t seem concerned about the differential though so we will see. Funny thing it doesn’t make the sound when it’s on the lift. Only when you drive and turn the wheel about 45 degrees.

I’m almost 100% sure the passenger side axle won’t fix the issue but I understand why they don’t just order a transmission. The frustration of my brand new car continues.

Good luck. Same symptoms as mine. Only sound while on the lift was what the tech called excessive gear slap when moving the front wheels by hand. The final root cause according to my paperwork was the “bevel gear assembly.” I have pretty good knowledge of car parts, but to be honest I don’t know what that is. Assuming maybe the gear that connects the transmission to the dif.

My friend who has had new VWs for roughly the past 15 years told me to keep track of the total days in service if you want to file a complaint with VW. Also keep track of the number of times they have tried to fix the problem. In my state after 4x you lemon the car. Not ideal, but it gives you some options.

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Everyone,

Happy to report my original sounds is still gone after roughly another 1000 miles. I have a few other issues I wanted to ask about though. I have a few new things that seem off, and I just wanted to get some opinions from guys that have owned VW for a while.
I have a slight rattling sound coming from up front when at very low rpm. It sounds like it’s inside the dash, but I can’t pinpoint it. I’m completely sure it wasn’t there before the new transmission and dif. Any suggestions?
Second, the car gives me some trouble going into reverse sometimes. I would estimate maybe 1/30x. Is that normal? The best way I can describe it is it engages half way. Enough to turn on the backup cam, but not enough to be in reverse. If I try to engage the clutch, it will either pop into reverse, or grind. I can get it into reverse by engaging another gear and then trying reverse again. I feel like first gear might do the same type of thing as well, but much less frequently. Is that normal for VW? I know some of my 10 year old Honda’s used to be finicky years ago in the same way.
Lastly, the shift mechanism feels funny coming out of third gear. Rough is the best way I can describe it. Like a bumpy/vibrating feeling. It’s only when changing out of third, when coming out of the gate for third. Any other guys with manuals have this same feeling?

I plan to follow up with the dealer on these things obviously, but I don’t want to make an ass out of myself if these are normal things on the GTI. I think I’m as car “literate” as a person can be who isn’t a technician, but I’ve never dealt with any sort of transmission issues like this before.

Lastly, and updates on your car, OP?

Thanks all.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
Sounds like maybe a shift linkage or something is loose probably from when they put the new tranny in I would definitely have them look it over cuz that will cause more wear and tear over time

1stGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Everyone,

Happy to report my original sounds is still gone after roughly another 1000 miles. I have a few other issues I wanted to ask about though. I have a few new things that seem off, and I just wanted to get some opinions from guys that have owned VW for a while.
I have a slight rattling sound coming from up front when at very low rpm. It sounds like it’s inside the dash, but I can’t pinpoint it. I’m completely sure it wasn’t there before the new transmission and dif. Any suggestions?
Second, the car gives me some trouble going into reverse sometimes. I would estimate maybe 1/30x. Is that normal? The best way I can describe it is it engages half way. Enough to turn on the backup cam, but not enough to be in reverse. If I try to engage the clutch, it will either pop into reverse, or grind. I can get it into reverse by engaging another gear and then trying reverse again. I feel like first gear might do the same type of thing as well, but much less frequently. Is that normal for VW? I know some of my 10 year old Honda’s used to be finicky years ago in the same way.
Lastly, the shift mechanism feels funny coming out of third gear. Rough is the best way I can describe it. Like a bumpy/vibrating feeling. It’s only when changing out of third, when coming out of the gate for third. Any other guys with manuals have this same feeling?

I plan to follow up with the dealer on these things obviously, but I don’t want to make an ass out of myself if these are normal things on the GTI. I think I’m as car “literate” as a person can be who isn’t a technician, but I’ve never dealt with any sort of transmission issues like this before.

Lastly, and updates on your car, OP?

Thanks all.

I have a 17 gti sport dsg and I also have the low rpm rattle. I think it is normal though. I have driven many manual cars and when in high gear with low speed, the engine shake a bit.