GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
I picked up my 7.5 last week at my local dealership. It was the only 2018 within 300 miles. It just so happened to be Great Falls Green.

Vboy

I picked up my 7.5 last week at my local dealership. It was the only 2018 within 300 miles. It just so happened to be Great Falls Green.

I'm going to assume this is a GTI and not an R based on your profile description. :p Got me all excited at first.

Would love to get an R in green. *Fingers crossed* that the special order colors are going to be available in the States, although unlikely.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
Yeh...my bad. It is a GTI. But the color is growing on me. Snapped a few necks already, mostly VW owners taking three looks.

vwauug

Ready to race!

Did you pay up for it? Or get a good deal? I’ve seen a lot of 2018 GTIs on Cars.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
I actually talked them down 3800 off asking price. It was pure luck that they had one. They just received it 2 days prior with 13 miles on the odo. I called and asked about the car from their website. They had a generic picture of a white pixled GTI. They didn’t even have time to upload a lot picture for the thing before I snatched it.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Agree the "standards of quality" line makes one worried. Seems bizarre given the 2017 model is nearly the same; no major changes in engine, emissions. New 7 speed tranny and infotainment does not seem like it should be a major hurdle. Plus Audi S3 with largely the same mechanics has been available in the US for months. May go that route if VW does not get their act together really soon on this one.

vwauug

Ready to race!
I actually talked them down 3800 off asking price. It was pure luck that they had one. They just received it 2 days prior with 13 miles on the odo. I called and asked about the car from their website. They had a generic picture of a white pixled GTI. They didn’t even have time to upload a lot picture for the thing before I snatched it.

Nice. R u the one from fox valley?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
I live in South Alabama, a few minutes from the AL/FL state line.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
I was just in my local dealership today to grab some windshield wipers and started giving the sales manager a hard time about when the US doesn't have the '18 R yet. He told me he still doesn't have the order sheet and still doesn't have any solid information as to when they will be available.

I told him i'm interested in cross shopping an R against a slightly used TTS. He told me how much happier i would be in an R and that we would be willing to work a deal on a trade in for my GTI. We'll see what all shakes out in a few months.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Two things; you can get a bike (or two) in a Golf but not in a TTS. The other is when you check into a hotel and say "my car is parked out there and it is the Audi" and you wish you could have said VW since the folks you are talking to are barely making minimum wage.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Two things; you can get a bike (or two) in a Golf but not in a TTS. The other is when you check into a hotel and say "my car is parked out there and it is the Audi" and you wish you could have said VW since the folks you are talking to are barely making minimum wage.

I absolutely cannot fit a bike, let alone 2, in my GTI. I mountain bike >4 times a week. and tried. My 27.5 bike barely fit with the wheel off and seats forward. Not throwing a dusty, dirty MTB in my car anyway. I put a hitch on my GTI for that reason.

I also wouldn't really mind telling people i drive an Audi. I never valet park. I'll walk. It's my car, regardless if its a Lamborghini or a Prius. And truth be told, if i end up getting the R, it will be modified a bit and look nice.

All that said, I do see your point. However if the price difference between a lightly used TTS and a new R were very minimal, I would have a hard time passing the TTS, especially since there is a chance my GTI would go to my girlfriend, meaning i can use it when going biking and she can take the TTS. We'll see. I need to drive them both.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
TTRS and you might have a good argument.
So lame VW still has 2016 and 17's on the website.
Edit- looks like they are updating the site tonight...builder is buggy (5:30pm)

Last edited:

KlipZ

Ready to race!

Id buy a TTRS if it didn't start at $65k.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Edit- looks like they are updating the site tonight...builder is buggy (5:30pm)

Still not updated :/