GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
I know that it was discussed that the 2018 Rs had arrived and are just waiting in port but... I didn’t believe it until I saw the pics on Vortex of rows of new Golf Rs in white car condoms sitting in port in Jacksonville. They said they have been there since September! Beyond the fact that it’s frustrating that they are just out of reach, I’m not sure I’m thrilled about them sitting outside and baking in the Florida sun for months. Likely irrational, but it still bugs me.

KyleKisstro

Passed Driver's Ed
I know that it was discussed that the 2018 Rs had arrived and are just waiting in port but... I didn’t believe it until I saw the pics on Vortex of rows of new Golf Rs in white car condoms sitting in port in Jacksonville. They said they have been there since September! Beyond the fact that it’s frustrating that they are just out of reach, I’m not sure I’m thrilled about them sitting outside and baking in the Florida sun for months. Likely irrational, but it still bugs me.

Yep, they’ve literally been sitting there since September. Started with around 30 on first shipment. Now there are hundreds. Just sitting there, waiting. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Back in late 2009 I wanted a new GTI. The 2010's weren't out yet but I found a leftover 2009 that I was willing to buy. Literally the last one in Florida with every option in the color I wanted. They wanted MSRP. No way I was going to pay that for a one-year-old car. So I bought a CPO 2007. When I bought my R they were still red hot, so I was willing to pay list.

vwauug

Ready to race!
Yep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That's terrible, but it does bring up something interesting.
$2500 off for a base R. (Real world difference is probably more because no demand for the base). Shame that's not offered anymore.
Don't need DCC. Would rather have 18's. Don't need nav with android auto.

The only good thing that would be missed is the Fender.

B95zP

Ready to race!
That's terrible, but it does bring up something interesting.
$2500 off for a base R. (Real world difference is probably more because no demand for the base). Shame that's not offered anymore.
Don't need DCC. Would rather have 18's. Don't need nav with android auto.

The only good thing that would be missed is the Fender.

Ya I wish they still had a base Golf R, don't really want DCC or Nav either.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I got the base '16 6MT and love it. It has all that I need, and pretty much all that I want. I would have liked the upgraded stereo, sure, and DCC sounds interesting (never had an adjustable suspension car) but there's something to be said about a basic version when its as well equipped as this one. My GTI (a MkVI '12) was also a base, and I loved that, too.

Though to be sure, if I have my druthers, my next car will be loaded to the gills.

spessx

Ready to race!
I got the base '16 6MT and love it. It has all that I need, and pretty much all that I want. I would have liked the upgraded stereo, sure, and DCC sounds interesting (never had an adjustable suspension car) but there's something to be said about a basic version when its as well equipped as this one. My GTI (a MkVI '12) was also a base, and I loved that, too.

Though to be sure, if I have my druthers, my next car will be loaded to the gills.

I've got a base '16 6mt also. It was dirt cheap, relatively speaking. I think I paid 33,200 for it. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten DSG. I added a set of Pretorias. Other than that, I've been very happy with it.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Don't discount DCC until you've driven a car with it. It's pretty freaking awesome for a factory setup. I've never owned a GTI or R that I didn't immediately modify the suspension on in the past (7 previous cars going back to '83). I have zero desire to monkey with it on my R as the DCC setup is THAT good. Perfect for a street machine.

If you'd like to educate yourself on the details of the DCC system, the link below links to a bunch of self-study programs for VW techs, including one on DCC. It's quite informative...

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26886

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Oh, I WANTED the DCC, no doubt about that. Still do. But it was a choice of this car, with everything else I really needed, available, and reasonably priced, or, well, nothing. We don't get a huge allocation up here in East Bumble, and especially the manual transmission models. So I'm happy with the trade off.

Depending on the car--I've heard some dynamic suspension systems are better than others--my next one will have this feature, if at all possible.

mikeeyd

I contacted my local dealer where I purchased my 17 GTI S, and they will only discount the '18 GTI S $500 for a customer loyalty rebate. The salesman claims they do not get much in the way of discounts from VW.